Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)

New York's Shiniest

Aired Unknown Dec 10, 1988 on CBS

• Not very original...

I love watching the teenage mutant ninja turtles, but this episode seemed like it crossed bounds into the copyrighted world. I have to say that the writers of this show did a decent job of turning robocop into a cartoon. I think Rex-1 was a decent character, and the storyline wasn't too bad. This episode had some action, but nothing to brag about. I'm a little dissapointed that this show took ideas from a movie. I'm not even assuming this idea, it's petty clear that they got plenty of ideas of this episode from the robocop series. Teenage mutant ninja turtles is a very original cartoon, which is why I would believe they dont have too much experience with copyrighting, but for further reference, at least switch the occupation of the cop. Perhaps if Rex-1 wasn't a cop, this episode would of been viewed as a more original show.
  • "My job is to serve and protect you..." and watch as many Ninja Turtles as possible.

When you fuse Robocop with Ninja Turtles, you get... DING DING DING! "New York's Shiniest! Rex-1 is a very funny android, who follows April home, and doesn't make a good first impression with the Turtles. But who does? So Shredder wants to make clones of the robot cops, and makes hundreds of them. The Turtles and Rex-1 work together to stop the clones.
  • Pretty good. Not bad, not bad at all.

Yes, I enjoyed this episode. No, it wasn't my favorite. I did like the Rex-1 character that made his debut in this episode, and I hope to see him in more future episodes, if any. The turtles are also good in this episode. I liked the idea that Shredder made Rex-1 clones of his own, and there was a huge difference in numbers between the good and the bad sides. This is another great episode in this series.