Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)

Shredderville

Aired Unknown Dec 18, 1989 on CBS

• Turtles Are Legend

Another of my favorate episodes this is number three in my book. This one is obviously the turtle's take on "It's a Wonderful Life" as well as slightly remonicent of the "Back to the Future part 2". The commonality between the two is they both featured a negative alternate world. This episode took a bit of an unfun turn on itself I thought was strange, dark and sort of had mean spirited fun with itself.

We see the whole thing start out where the turtles are obviously growing weary and tired of their roles, they feel their no closer to winning the war against evil and are now feeling the effects of psycholgical burn out. In a way the adventure starts out almost similar to post apocalptic sci-fi like Richard Matherson's "I am Legend" (a.k.a. The Omega Man) and 28 Days Latter where the protagonist wakes up to a world in ruin. Well this is the same with the Turtles as they see that the world they live in now looks like Hell on Earth.

Were sort of with them in their puzzlement, how did things get to the way they are, how did they get here, just all sorts of questions we get no answers to. We observe what they see and the results aren't pritty. From the pollution and the constant decay the earth is going though, possibly caused by one experement too many from the Technodrome. How a lot of people are become shadows of their former identity's like Zach the fifth turtle has became reduced to a juvinile hodlum, April and Irma are slave girls to Shreader (hmmmm), Shreader is well still Shreader only he is unfortunately suffering from what is called a power trip and his voyage hasn't ran out of gas yet, most of Dimention X cronies have taken over, the list goes on.

I'll admit though I felt rather let down by the ending when it all turned out to be a dream. I just feel like that such an overused cleche and a cop out. But I guess it makes sense and is pritty obvious when you think about it so I can't complain that much. But this whole episode just goes to show why it's important to have the Turtles/good guys in this world because it's always people like them that make the world a wonderful place.
  • It's a Wonderful life turtle style when the TMNT wake up in a world ruled by Shredder.

This brilliant episode is among the best ones in the entire series. Featuring a world without the turtles it exploits what everyones life would be like in this reality. It is an interestig tyranny that makes you wondering plenty of things such as why Krang did not rule the world. What happened to Splinter, and more. I thought they gave you just enough background information on this world to make it a perfect and flawless episode. I liked how Shredder was so different from the normal worlds one but still evil. In the end the episode leaves you wondering if the events really happened or Splinter was really behind it to teach the turtles. If you must watch only one episode from this season let it be this one!
  • neat episode

this was a really good episode

it was a take off on its a wonderful life in which the turtles wish they were not around. in this world everyone hates mutants due to shredder and he rules, but is overburndended by it

bebop and rocksteady are humans and april and irma are slaves to them

krang is in the technodrome with no body as the technodrome is malfunctioning and explodes in the end

I like how they have traag get Zack for defacing the technodrome.

It was funny of how they then realized the world is well off with them, but silly of how they blame themselves for shredder's actions.