would TMNT be better if not on 4kids?

Orpheus2017

[21]Mar 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    Ther was no point in creating a new board for this since this could be false, but my DVR shows a TMNT marathon on Cartoon Network later on today at 12 noon at Detroit. This could be a chance to support it in the hopes of generating a slot for it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TMNThottie

[23]May 23, 2007
    • level: 10
    i saw that!!! dude i was like omg i loved it!!! they did the one where they attack shredder than right after the battle the utroms take splinter to heal them and all that loved it!!!

TMNThottie

[24]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 10

.... did you create a video on youtube? There's a video that quotes you exactly... weird...

jeffilan

[25]Jan 3, 2011
    • level: 19

All right first off, if it wasn't for 4Kids, this show wouldn't even exist and the entire TMNT franchise would've been destroyed due to "The Next Mutation".

The only reason 4Kids does a bad job dubbing anime is because the original versions were already bad enough to begin with. Let's take a look at Sonic and Kirby. They're both based on video game series that already exist. But they barley have anything similar to the games. They added charcters exclusive to the anime never to be found in the game (i.e. Escargoon from Kirbyand Chris from Sonic) and the japanese versions make somanychanges such as Chef Kawasaki being a good guy.

I'll admit 4Kids does edit a lot of stuff, but believe me its nothing compared

As far as 4Kids dubbing/editing goes, keepin mind that as their name implies, they want to makeit appropriate for kids by lessening the violence.

For example in theoriginal2nd series version ofYu-Gi-Oh!, after Joey defeated Bandit Keith in the Duelist Kingdom finals, Keith points a gun at Pegasus demanding the tournament's prize money. The message is basically saying "If things don't go your way or if someone irritates you, that's a legit excuse for killing someone."

Besides, if you don't like the dub don't watch it. Watch the original instead.

Edited on 10/03/2012 2:55pm

BTRAV

[26]Jan 4, 2011
    • level: 27
    Because they have standards they must obey, we know. They just take them too far, in some people's opinion. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?

jeffilan

[27]Jan 5, 2011

Sure, I'd rather settle things peacefully than go into a argument that won't satisfy anyone. So yeah, I'll agree to disagree.

RaizenYusuke

[28]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 28

It was by far the darkest show 4kids aired compared to what they did to their dubbed anime. I do not see how CN, Nick, or any other network would have made it darker or allowed it to do worse things outside of Adult Swim. That being said I hate 4kids because of what they do to anime. They would be better doing more American shows. TMNT on CN probably wouldn't have gotten passed five seasons. I mean Teen Titans was one of it's most popular series it had one bad season and they axed it like that. Since most fans disliked Flash Forward years that would have meant TMNT on CN would have been axed in that season and BTTS would have never been seen and possibly Turtles Forever not being made. IMO 4kids good with American cartoons, but suck with Japaness anime. I hate them for what they do to anime and because they are enforcing their rights on youtube and getting the subbed anime taken down or blocked so I can't see the source. But I admit they handled TMNT better than most networks would have.

As 4kids dubbing anime because anime teaching children bad habits like it is alright tokill someone for disagreeing with youthat can be true for anything even this show. For example Splinter tried to kill the Shredder because the Shredder killed his master. That meansthe show is saying itis ok for kids to kill people who hurt their loved ones? Of course not and no kid should take it that way especially if their parents tell them the difference between reality and t.v. I disagree withthat whole t.v. teaching kids bad morals or whatever, it gives people the excuse that if their kid turns bad it is t.v. fault not their lack of parenting skills. If it is so bad to begin with don't let them watch it! I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons or South Park when I was a kid and my parents made sure I didn't. What's the point of the t.v. rating being shown before shows if parents aren't watching them. I understand parents cannot watch their children 24/7, but if they instill their children with the tools to know what is and what is not acceptable in the real world and how what happens in t.v. shows is not proper to do in real world they do not have to be.

I am not trying to start a debate, but I cannot agree with 4kids editing anime being because it teachs kids bad things. Children are impressionable, but we have to remember we control what our children watch and that it is our responsibility to make sure they understand what they see on t.v. is not always the best example to follow. Anime being heavily edited for that reason maybe true, but it is a weak excuse IMO. CN showed anime for years that was not editing as much out as 4kids and yet it still edited enough to make the parents happy and keep the story intact. 4kids however does not even do that sometimes. TMNT is the reason I hate 4kids anime, TMNT was far less campy than the anime they dubbed and is what I think they should strive to make their animes be. I'll agree to disagree for the sake of starting a debate.

jeffilan

[29]Jan 30, 2011

Okay, maybe 4Kids doesn't do a good job at dubbing anime, but myparents didn't allow me to watch Yu-Gi-Oh!because of the zombie monsters in Joey's duel against Bonz and they thought the show was evil. Keep in mind this was only the dubbed version, not the original which is much darker.

I would like to know is the original version that much better? If it was based on a game that already exists, then no, the original isn't really any better.I already talked about Kirby and Sonic barley following the games' plots and innaccurate material (anime-exclusive characters). For Yu-Gi-Oh! has anyone ever noticed that some the cards presented in the anime are either portrayed wrong

(i.e. Joey's Graceful and Skull Dice cards, in the anime, the monsters' attack and defense are multiplied by whatever number comes up on the dice when in real life, the number is only multiplied by 100 and then added or subtracted from the monsters)

or the cards that are shown don't exist in real life.

And like I said in an earlier post,4Kids the TMNT franchise would never have made it to its 25th year.

Edited on 10/03/2012 2:58pm

RaizenYusuke

[30]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 28

The card game was based on the Yugioh anime/manga. That's the reason the card game is different than in real life they were modified in for the real game the manga and anime came first. If anything the card game is less faithful to the show it is based on that is not 4 kids fault though it is the anime's. I already gave 4kids its props for Turtles and their American stuff. I think Mirage Studios had more creative control was the reason for some of the mature issues in this series. Kriby and Sonic shows have always been lossely based on source I agree. The reason why people like myself dislike 4kids dubs anime is because they change plot points, Americanize names, change character's personalities when they see fit, andpreventing people from watching the sub anime by blocking it on youtube or other sites (forcing their dub on people). Some anime like One Piece was heavily edited when 4kids dubbed it to the point were most people did not recognize the anime. I suppose it comes down to personal choice on rather you agree with 4kids heavily edited anime. However with the president finally stepping down and the 5ds anime getting less kiddified that the hope for future of dubbing anime. 4kids did a good job with the TMNT I acknowledge that, but I will never agree that they do a good job with anime. Funimation and Viz do a far better job at dubbing anime for me to say that 4kids is doing a good job.

jeffilan

[31]Mar 8, 2011

RaizenYusuke wrote:

The card game was based on the Yugioh anime/manga. That's the reason the card game is different than in real life they were modified in for the real game the manga and anime came first. If anything the card game is less faithful to the show it is based on that is not 4 kids fault though it is the anime's.

My mistake. Didn't know the anime/manga came out BEFORE the card game. But still, any real TMNT fan would be grateful to 4Kids for saving the TMNT franchise.