Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

Head of State

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Sep 15, 2007 on FOX

• Baxter's Back!

Baxter, Bishop, Mousers, and our favorite mean, green, fighting machines. This has it all! Plus, you get a cool twist at the end. Best Fast Forward episode ever. Also, if you like watching TMNT where they don't need to fight to solve all their problems (though there IS lots of fighting!), this one has a ending that's very impressive, especially for a "kid's" cartoon on Saturday morning.

I was definitely happy that my kids might learn a little lesson about tolerance, rather than just karate chopping for a change. I haven't watched the show since I was a kid, but I think I'll be tuning in for now on.
  • Finally, a solid Fast Forward episode without Sh'Okanabo...

Bishop returns-- I think that's the main reason why this was one of the best FF episodes we've had. And Stockman returned as well. However, one thing I missed was that political drama we had with Bishop. You remember, his quotes like, "It's all for the safety of the world," and "You're helping science," and "I might have a chance to get some funding now." LOL. But Bishop being a good guy really sucks, but at least we see from flashbacks from when he still spliced and diced every alien he got his Conservative hands on. But when Stockman went too far, Stockman got mutated. Which, if you've kept up with TMNT 2003 for the past three years, is merely a plot device. So that's it? As Stockman said, he's not going to be Bishop's lab rat slave and get a body. I agree with Raph-- the future's just weird. But still, an almost flawless episode. If we're going to be stuck in this second-rate Fast Forward for a while, they need more Bishop episodes.
  • The turtles are asked by "president" Bishop to protect him from an enemy of the past: Dr. Baxter Stockman.

If there had to be only one word to describe this episode, it would be forgiveness. Baxter and the turtles sort of forgave Bishop for all the wrong he has caused in the past. In turn, Bishop has made right with the world through peace. It was a very touching episode that two of the turtles arch enemies are now allies. It also made the turtles realize how much good Bishop has really done for the future. There is peace between species, and aliens/mutants are no longer outcasts. The future is a much happier place for the turtles. It makes you wonder if they will actually want to go home! In their present, they have to hide in the world, and so many people are after them, including Bishop and Baxter (who I predict might help send them home). Will seeing their friends again in 2005 really be enough? If the series does continue, I wonder how the writers will portray Bishop and Baxter back in the present. Furthermore, how will they portray the turtles trying to fight them? Once back in their time, the turtles will know that they can't destroy Bishop or Baxter for the good of the future. I hope that future Bishop will give them a solution to this dilemma. That way he might be able to totally redeem himself. Anyway, the writers did an excellent job sticking with Bishop and Baxter's personalities in the future. The only regret I have is I wish it had been the turtles, not an alien, who changed Bishop's heart, and that it was sooner than 50 years! Yet the writer's scenario does make sense. Although some might think that Donny, after being turned into a mutant because of Bishop, should have been the one to give the whole Bishop-is-now-good speech to Baxter I think Leo was the right choice. Out of the four, Leo is the one who is the most forgiving. There was a bit of foreshadowing when Leo said at the end that maybe any 'monster' can change. I won't give much away, I'll just leave this by saying the next episode is "DNA is thicker than water."