Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

Karate Schooled

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Sep 20, 2008 on FOX

• Good episode. It made me laugh, but it's still early to judge the entire season. So far it looks much better than Fast Forward. :)

Let's see we've had a season of angsty Leo, check! Raph's our default angsty turtle, check! And now it's only fair to make it Donnie's turn right? Look out, Mikey, you're next.

I'm still getting used to the new animation style at this point (the new pupils still don't look right to me), but the episode itself was well done. The way Don's new behavior is introduced is pretty well done, too. It's not simply there for the heck of it, but watch out, he WILL repeat that it's "all [his] fault", I think, three times in this episode. It just gets a little redundant. I'm just happy to have the turtles back in present day New York. I always loved the episodes that were more realistic and less sci-fi or fantasy-based.

This new villain also looks like a challenging new match for the turtles, too.
  • Casey is brainwashed and Don's working overtime. Some welcome back party this is.

The turtles meet up with Casey and April again after getting thier shells kicked by Casey Jones. Turns out he's been taking karate ever since the guys disappeared. He's not bad at it either. when I first saw the summary of this episode I laughed. Casey getting brainwashed! I didn't even know he had a brain. Speaking of brains Donny has been working over time and I'm getting worried and a little annoyed about how he keeps on saying losing Master Splinter was his fault. Like other fans I hope he doesn't stay that way for the whole season either. Yet I kind of know what he's going through. If I had listened for trouble I wouldn't have been caught by a rapist and my friend wouldn't have sacrificed his life trying to save me. Enough about that. We also figure out the name of that mysterious ninja who claims to have destroyed the turtles before the battle with the three Shredders. This guy is fast, but the turtles will probably manage to beat him in the future. Anyway, Caio.
  • The Turtles must save a brainwashed Casey Jones from a villain called Master Khan.

This season started with a bang, this is the second episode and it doesn't disappoint one bit. Actually, I think it's even better than the season premiere. You know why? It has some of that good old "dark" feeling from the first couple of seasons. More on that later. The episode starts with a 1 minute teaser, like usual. But this one caught my attention instantly and got me really excited. The Turtles are setting up the new lair. Mikey is goofing around as usual. I read on forums that people found him to be incredibly annoying in this particular episode. Come on, he's Mikey. But okay, their father just presumably died, and it was a bit out of place. I was more bothered by Donatello's whining. Well, not actually "bothered", not yet. But I hope he's not going to be like this all throughout the season. Anyway, Casey and April are back. Casey is the same as usual and April is still good lookin'. Hope she still knows how to fight. Serling is a nice addition, I'm glad they brought him back from Fast Forward. The villain in this episode is called Master Khan, he's that guy who appeared briefly in the season premiere. And he's a good villain, really powerful and cunning. Using his brainwashed students to do the fighting for him. The action is pretty awesome here.

This episode felt a lot darker than any of the Fast Forward episodes, with a much more serious tone. Casey came home with someone else's blood on him? Relax, we didn't get to see it. It was only mentioned. But does that mean he killed a guy or was it just from fighting the other students in the dojo? We'll never know.

Season 7 is off to a very good start. Hope they keep this up, it's definitely better than Fast Forward(which I like BTW)and right up there with seasons 1-5. Now then, why is there only 13 episodes this season? I know TMNT isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, but come on. If Fast Forward could have 26 episodes, then so can this. By the look of it so far, it certainly deserves it.