Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

Karate Schooled

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Sep 20, 2008 on FOX

• The Turtles must save a brainwashed Casey Jones from a villain called Master Khan.

This season started with a bang, this is the second episode and it doesn't disappoint one bit. Actually, I think it's even better than the season premiere. You know why? It has some of that good old "dark" feeling from the first couple of seasons. More on that later. The episode starts with a 1 minute teaser, like usual. But this one caught my attention instantly and got me really excited. The Turtles are setting up the new lair. Mikey is goofing around as usual. I read on forums that people found him to be incredibly annoying in this particular episode. Come on, he's Mikey. But okay, their father just presumably died, and it was a bit out of place. I was more bothered by Donatello's whining. Well, not actually "bothered", not yet. But I hope he's not going to be like this all throughout the season. Anyway, Casey and April are back. Casey is the same as usual and April is still good lookin'. Hope she still knows how to fight. Serling is a nice addition, I'm glad they brought him back from Fast Forward. The villain in this episode is called Master Khan, he's that guy who appeared briefly in the season premiere. And he's a good villain, really powerful and cunning. Using his brainwashed students to do the fighting for him. The action is pretty awesome here.

This episode felt a lot darker than any of the Fast Forward episodes, with a much more serious tone. Casey came home with someone else's blood on him? Relax, we didn't get to see it. It was only mentioned. But does that mean he killed a guy or was it just from fighting the other students in the dojo? We'll never know.

Season 7 is off to a very good start. Hope they keep this up, it's definitely better than Fast Forward(which I like BTW)and right up there with seasons 1-5. Now then, why is there only 13 episodes this season? I know TMNT isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, but come on. If Fast Forward could have 26 episodes, then so can this. By the look of it so far, it certainly deserves it.