Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

FOX

RaijinPaladinix

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) Fan Reviews (107)

• Two words: most impressive. This version of the heros in a half-shell is much easier to digest for the fans of the Mirage comics and reclaims the dark and humorous tone of Eastman and Laird's vision... sorta.

This version is TMNT may upset the fans of the classic Ninja Turtles series... and since it does, I can't relate to them. True, I loved the old series, but when I saw the black and white Mirage comics and how they are really visioned by Eastman and Laird, I felt robbed and have to settle for the "kiddie" experience.

However, when I first heard about this show and how it will not only make more sense character wise, but it was loosely based on the original comics, I was like "yes!" I watched every show and it made me a kid again each show. I remember some of the comics and how some of the shows matches the comics.

Stockman isn't a Fly (or white), Bebop and Rocksteady isn't in the picture, Krang no longer exist (at least not in the way he was depicted in the original show) and the Foot is... well, they are still the Foot. The turtles are different shades of green, April isn't a reporter, but an intelligent woman, Splinter is really a rat and Casey is... well, somethings just don't change.

All the turtles personalities are "updated". Ralp is not only sarcastic, but a loose cannon (a little sloppy than his past self). Don is the brainatic, Leo is the perfectionist and Mikey is just as loose as ever with the catch phrases (as well as being the "fall guy"). "Cowabunga," the phrase he uses in the original manages to sneak into the show (with some backlashing from Raph every time he says it)

My only complaint is that it's a Saturday morning cartoon. So, some of the aspects of the show will not make sense.

For example: TMNT fights with weapons, but if they were to strike opponents with their weapons (especially Leo and Raph because they have fatal weapons), they get "stunned". Also, they have to tone down the mature themes of some of the shows based on the comics. In the episode "Time Travails", Renet in the comics was a little more adult (in attire) while here, they have to tone down her looks for the kiddies. Another example is Baxter Stockman and no matter how many times he suffers, he manages to stay alive via his technology. But why does he always wear his glasses in his holographic images, especially since he doesn't "need" them?

But other than the shortcomings, it's great story telling. The "solo episodes", where is centers around one character is also excellent. Unlike the Teen Titans, where one character is more interesting than the other (but as a team, it makes the show good), each Ninja Turtle can hold their own as well as being together.

Kids and kids at heart will enjoy this new series. Anyone who downplayed this series because it isn't the "classic" should realize one thing: if you didn't read the Mirage versions of the TMNT series, then you have no idea what "classic" is. This series is based off the real classic, the comics that started the "classic" cartoon series.

Now, with the Shredder (hopefully) written out of the show, the show will get more interesting because this is where the comics end. What will the theme song be like? Who is this "Bishop" guy and now that the Shredder is gone, what will happen to the Foot?

Tune into Season 4 and find out!
  • This review is not written by me, but by bryanoftoons/viewtifulboy. I'm posting for him.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been around for over a century, and there were some people who got worried about 4Kids owning it's license, but now, even from people who generally hate 4Kids Entertainment, people believe it's the best work they've ever done.

Let's start with the writing. It's good. There are several seasons, story arcs, and even a few times they reference the 1980's series (Especially in that "Secret Origins arch. They referenced it 3 times!). This is actually darker than that old series, but still keep it to a TVY7 rating. My only real writing gripe is saying "shell" instead of hell. It's clever, but I just hear it too often for it to be that clever. Now it's just annoying. None of the turtles say anything out of character, no terrible puns, and nothing really cheesy. Plus almost every character has some kind of backstory that they reveal to you in time, which really brings out their character.

The animimation is what I will call "very good". It's no spectacular, but it's way above average. Nothing is ever choppy, they're smooth and accurate, and they have correct speed (by that I mean fast blows really have an impact and slow blows are weak). Even in some of the chaotic fighting scenes the animation doesn't slow down. Good work there.

The music is the kind of music you'd want to listen to while playing an extreme beat-em-up game, which is a good thing. 4Kids is really good with the music and theme songs, but the music IN the show could use more guitar, but that's just my tastes. The voice acting is as great as you'd expect. Though sometimes they go a little off character when they voice. Splinter's voice also sounds a little breathy, like he's exhaling air more than he's talking.

Let's wrap this up with my opinions on the series' characters. I just love them. All of them are very unique with their own set of abilities. You've got Casey with his blunt objects, Shredder with his claws and technology (plus he's a badass), and my favorite, Baxter Stockman. Super genius. And with other unique villains and heroes it makes it look like they'll never run out of ideas.
  • One of the best shows around!

I've been a TMNT fan before this came and after seeing this I became an even bigger TMNT fan.It also makes me want to read the comics.The animation is good, the voices fit each character exspically Mikey's (my fav), Raph's, Splinter's and April's.The plot is really good too and alot of times you'll be wondering in your mind what will happen next and if the turtles can make it out ok.This show also has a bit of its own originality such as their origin of The Shredder.The music is pretty good too.Fans of TMNT won't be disapointed in this show. ^-^
  • Probably one of the best remakes ever done! The Turtles rule in this show, proving that even in the 21st century, they're still one of the coolest teams that was ever created.

Although the 80's version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was one of the best cartoons ever produced. It was funny, and we had lots and lots of cool characters that interacted with both the Turtles and with the audience (the gags and jokes were hillarious). But in this new version, we get to see an alternative story of the Turtles and the way their arch-enemy, the Shredder is involved in it. The fact that we get to see new versions of most characters, like April and Casey, and the way they interact with the main storyline, gives us the feeling that these characters were originally designed for a series like this one, and not the original one, back in 1987. The voice cast is quite good, and we get a good bunch of laughs when hearing the characters interact with each others. The storyline is way darker than the original one, and most of the characters have new personalities and looks, which contributes positively to the success of the show. From the first episode, to April and Casey's wedding, this series has surprised me in all ways. Too bad it ended too soon, but at least, they went out with a really great bang, by giving us the ultimate Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover. In a scale one to ten, I give it an 11.
  • This Newer Series is more ranged at the kid teen audience than just the kid audience... though the original series was a big huge unbeatable hit this newer series isn't doing as well as it should.

This Newer Series is more ranged at the kid teen audience than just the kid audience... though the original series was a big huge unbeatable hit this newer series isn't doing as well as it should. it's drawn better the voices and everything fits Perfectly it's one of the most under-rated cartoons of all time and it deserves viewer attention until it's end, which hopefully will not be any time soon. so viewers watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on saturday Mornings on Fox.

Also the series is aiming itself more at the teen age than in the previous seasons.. even though it's all good no matter what... TMNT deserves More!
  • Closer to the comics.

Now let me just say, I love everything that's TMNT. Honestly, but I'm also one of those that's a sucker to something that's closer to the original story and that's what this series is. I had seen every episode of this series dozens of times before I finally got my hands on a copy of the original comics. I was relieved to find that the producers of this series kept it pretty close to what Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman actually wrote and drew all those years ago. It warmed my hard, and just made me fangasm all over my desk.

Now what really makes me sad when I see all these bad reviews for '03 series because "It's just not as good as the original". Well, I'm sorry to inform, but it's very close to the actual original story line. Yes the 80's series is a classic, and it's very funny and pleasing to watch when you just need a good laugh or some nostalgia moments. The animation isn't too bad and the characters are very loveable, but if you put it side to side with the '03 I would have to say '03 is superior. The characters each have their own personality, the animations is clean, crisp and accurate, and the screenplay and voice actors really pull everything together right where it's supposed to be, and the first few seasons follow the comics very closely. Yes every show has it's faults and this one's no exception. There are many times phrases are use too often, or they colored things wrong, or the voice acting isn't quite up to par, but those are just normal downfalls to any animated or even live action series'.

Over all, if you are a true fan of the TMNT franchise and haven't read the original comics or seen this series yet, give it a shot. Forget about your nostalgia of the 80's series and just watch this series that will show you just what you're missing. Yes they add things and change things around, but this is as close as you could get before you actually have to read the comics.

• Out of all of the cartoons of the 00's, I didn't think this was the best, that goes to Spectacular Spider-Man, but I do think that its a vastly underrated series.

Fans of the original cartoon have mixed opinions at best about this series, which I think is stupid. These are trolls and purists who don't acknowledge the true creators or source material. This was one of my favorite shows of the 00's. I never see that many people praise it, I never see it being brought up at IGN and people like Stuttering Craig bash it, I consider this cartoon to be underrated. There's plenty to dislike, but there was more to dislike about the classic cartoon. I also think this show has more to like: great animation, good action, well developed characters, impressive villains, fantastic story telling. And yeah, the last two seasons are mixed at best, but I've seen worst writing at times.

If you haven't watched it yet, check it out for and decide for yourself.
  • Both TV versions are good but different. This one is edgier and closer to the comic.

This TMNT television show is excellent and much closer to the original comic than the older cartoon. I loved the earlier TMNT too but it was directed for younger audiences and kinda wacky and dorky at times. This one is darker, more realistic, and has a stronger connection to the original version of TMNT. The characterizations are almost all spot on, the voice acting is great and the adventures are...well...more adventurous. Episodes like SAINW are edgy and even thrilling and the relationships between the brothers is heartwarming and far more believable than the earlier show (they were more like friends or fighting partners than brothers). The only big problems I have with this show are April and her outfit...seriously who wears a tight belly shirt while working in a laboratory...or working any professional job for that matter?! The other problem is Fast Forward...seriously...things went downhill in the future arc and never came back uphill. I didn't like the art change or the weird bad guys etc that followed in BTTS. Overall, this was a great show with interesting characters, plot lines and decent action/drama etc. Plus I LOVE Donny so any Donny centric episode was magical to me.
  • A much closer plot to the old comics than the old 1987 version was but even now the TMNT give us what I can say is one of my all time favorite shows.

In my mind, superior to the 1987 show in many ways, Much closer to it's comic book heritage with it's own unique style.
    Plenty of new stories, much more action than the original but more than anything the show goes into more depth, longer and more entertaining stories, a slighty darker cartoon than what your first impression may be.
    The First season was Great, a new (and better) look great plot and we end the season on a cliffhanger with the turtles being transported through space but before all that we see great battles with the Shredder, Casey jones gets the role that he should have got in the 1987 cartoon and then we have several new bad guys like "Garbage man" and "The Purple Dragons" "Hun" and several more I meen c'mon what else do you need.

Season two we go even further with the turtles landing on a ditant planet and end up in the middle of a Galactic war trying to save "Prof. Honeycutt", not to mention we learn that Shredder is actually an Utrom and then to end the season with The battle nexus was a stroke of genius.

Season three showed that even after two seasons a cartoon can keep getting better, we meet Agent Bishop who try's disecting the turtles but is stopped just in time and overall becomes one of the main bad guys in the show, we also see Shredder in what would be one of his last atempts at total control over the galaxy as he is stopped once again by the TMNT.
    Whilst not my personal favorite season it still manages to keep the good times coming.

I can't really comment on season 4 and Season 5 (Ninja Tribunal) as I have not seen all that many episoeds of them.

Season 6 (Fast Forward) the TMNT are transported through time to the year 2105 and meet Cody Jones a decendent of Casey and April, the show took a definate turn here in my opinion whilst still enjoyable it had lost it's edge even with alot new enimies it still felt unneeded and I believe I am not the only one who will be sorry to see it go.
    It is much closer to the 1987 cartoon than any other series whils it is more funny than the last five seasons it had lost it's gripping plots and darkness which is what made TMNT 2003 so much fun to watch.

All in all I just don't know what the producers are going to do, personally I think they should just retrace there steps and make the cartoon what it was from the first couple of seasons but even though with the recent mess up that is Fast Forward I am going to give TMNT 2003 9/10.

Turbo 1.20
  • Wow, this show rocks! As a teenage girl I am a proud TMNT fan. Why?

I first saw this show a few years ago. At the time I had only seen commercials and to be honest, I thought it looked pretty stupid. One day, I ended up watching it when I was bored. The result? I've been hooked ever since.

The show has a way for hooking you in. The story lines are well written and the animation is amazing. Some episodes can make you laugh out loud while others can make you cry. The voice acting is superb as well.

I ask you, what more could you ask for in a cartoon? The characters are well written, their voices suit them, their world is so different and unbelievable. A few people I know don't like the show, but they've never seen it. One thing is certain; You can't judge it by the commercials! This is, without a doubt, my favourite cartoon ever, and it's going to stay that way.
  • Great show! Hope it will NEVER end!!!!!

I love this show! I didn\'t watch much of the \'80\'s version of the show, but I still think that this show KICKS BUTT! No doubt about it! This is the best show EVER! I hope that the creators of TMNT, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, never want to end this show so soon with everyone enjoying it so much! This is one of the BEST shows on television ever! I hope this show keeps going on for another 5 seasons or so. I don\'t know about you...but the Turtles are the BEST butt-kickin\' crimefighters in the entire world, dudes!!!
  • This show is the best cartoon ever made.

Hats off to Peter Laird and the creators of TMNT. This show is now one of 4Kids Tv's longest running shows and is dark, funny, original and is so much better than the 1980's and '90s show. The characters are more fleshed out. Shredder is an Utrom. He has a daughter Karai. The purple dragons are awesome bad guys. The turtles have their own personalities. There is plenty of darkness and hapiness. It's just overall a great show, cartoon or otherwise.
  • This tmnt show is as good as the old one

I must say this tmnt cartoon was done rather well.the fisrt season was good. the only thing i did not like how they made Shredder into an utrom. i really wanted to see Bebop and Rocksteady in this cartoon as well.otherwise this show had a lot of good action.i did find the whole story of the shredder confusing first hes an utrom then hes a demon and now hes a cyber life form.the back to the sewers was what got me liking this but i wish they would have continued even after nickelodean buoght the rights to the turtles. this show gets a solid 9.5 and remember its ninja time.
  • much,much better than TMNT from 1987

one of the best anime or what ever that is I ever watched.What could I say more than that is absolutely fabulous.Much serious than the earlier version,more action,better villain an good guys,better drawing and animation i every way is better to me than TMNT from 1987.Who disagrees let me know why
  • This is an amazing show that follows the original comic books instead of cheesy jokes and childish humor. I LOVE IT.

I started reading Eastman and Laird's TMNT comics starting from volume 1 and then shortly after found this show. It adheres to the real story very well. Even included the fugitoid story! I was amazed and pleased that this wasn't just another attempt to childify the comics avoiding any hint at death or bad nature. I absolutely adore this cartoon.
  • I love this show!It's real good.

This show is really good.Lot's of action,good storyline,and good animation.I think a lot of people would like this show.I always go to the site to check on episodes, since there are always new ones.I like to figure what happens in seasons 3-5 cause i have only watched the first and second season. I can't watch anymore because i am in China.I want the show to continue onto a sixth season.I hope it will. The show's great in everything! My favorite show.It would make me even happier to go to a seventh season.I just hope they do not dry up on idea's.
  • this show rocks! it my all time favorites!!!!

its not like i dont like the older ones but this one only has a lower review because some person did about 10 review that are 10.0 so the older one would have a higher standard. and they did a horrible reveiw on this show even though it is really good. if they have seen all the episodes or even one then they should know that this show is really good and they need to give it more credit than its givin. this show is really good and theirs just some rude people who cheated and reviewed the older shows so much that it would have a high review. so they are being very unreasonable. this show is really awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Now this is TURTLE POWER!!!!

This is show is as close to the original comic as Kids Tv will allow in this day and age, and country!! The Ninja Turtles were not the fun cutsie, green , party kids in the 80\'s series. The Comic was a pretty dayum gritty and rough!! Grant it, I still hold much love for the original TV series, do not get me wrong. BUT, this new version is the $#*+ !!!!! Back in the day, Parent groups screamed, the turtles are too violent, they wanted violent..read the comic!! I sitll have several issues!! The New series goes back to the comics roots, which I just LOOOOVE!!! They still have their wise cracks and fun loving persona, especially Mikey. BUT...their is a hardcore presence of action in this versionwhichy is very well balance with the story lines. Which I may add, always have a unique twist!! So...to all the haters out there who think the original is the greatest, and the newest is whacked. Go to your local Bookstore or comic book store, or online...and take a look at the MIRAGE comic, you will NEVER see the turtles the same way again. =)

PS..updated a link for all the Haaters to witness the true ninja Turtles story, and end this madness forever. =)

• Perhaps my favorite animated show ever!

This is the TMNT that's true to the roots! Nice action, voice acting, quite a touch of darkness added, and nice storylines! This new series is the yang to the classic's yin, there's really no comparing the two. This way, it all comes down to if you like a well-rounded cartoon that can play dirty when needed or one that's easy and you can lay back to. Well, for someone my age, it's time I jumped on the bandwagon and settled for the more mature version. I wouldn't be surprised if this lasts as long as the old series if not longer! Those who can't leave the old series and enjoy this new one...well, they're loss!

10/10

this show is the best history of the ninja turtles since I was a child. this show give to all of us something new in the history of the ninja turtles, I never expect the turtles will be back after a lot of years of fame I hope the turtles will last for a long time
    excellent show
  • I always knew the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would return. After all nine seasons of classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to an end. I never give up. This series is a little more darker than the early series. It reminds me of X-men show in the 1992. Tur

I always knew the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would return. After all nine seasons of classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to an end. I never give up. This series is a little more darker than the early series. It reminds me of X-men show in the 1992. Turtle power, dudes.
  • What a GREAT!!!! ninjitsu action...........

Teenage mutant ninja turtles is a great series. It has a lot of great action that is full of BUTT KICKING!!! It has a lot of ninjitsu action and a lot of problems that the turtles must face. Teenage mutant ninja turtles is talking about four turtles who mutated into big turtles that can talk. These turtles face a lot of problems. Some of there problems that there is a professor that makes machine cats that destroys the turtles home. Other of there problems that they face a man named shredder who is evil. Shredder wants to conquer the world with his foot ninjas. Each time they faced shredder they defeated him and think that he died but he returns miraculesly. So these turtles have a lot of problems to resolve so watch it cause it's full of great action.
  • Turtle Power!

Great cartoon. Sticks to the comic for the most part and has an edge to it for a kids show. They use a ton of fun pop references including music and movie references. Makes for a great watch, the movie finally is also great. It is actually one of the funniest movies I saw as the poke fun of each Turtle generation that came to be till that point. So order up a pizza and slap on your ninja masks cause this show will make you yell COWABUNGA!
  • Adfventurous!

I love turtles! These are the best kick butt funny ninjas you'll find on tv for your kids and young boys to follow! But they have tails! Casey is cool (despite a little intimidating with his hockey mask), Master Splinter is the best guide ever. A real classic! Graphics are great, the missions are great, and everything is packed with fun and suspense!
  • Four ordinary turtles was bath in ooze turning them into lean mean fighting ninjas.

This is not the hero in the half shell you use watch. This series follow the original Mirage studio comics by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird; the two authors might not had been impress with the 1987 cartoon due to the fact it wasn't anything like their creation. This new series show what the orignal series lacked; the series show hints of developement with the characters. Leo is a skillfull and honor ninja, Ralph is a hot head, Don still does machine, Mikey is a joker and annoying.
    April is not reporter, Casey got a bigger role. Not to mention a more menacing Shedder, but yet some didn't like the idea of him being a evil utrom.

The good, Lot of action, Fans of the comics will like it.
    Good comic based stoylines. Character development.

The Bad, Criticism from 1987 TMNT fans.
  • Wait, those aren't the turtles I remember...ahh, who cares, this show is awesome!

Wait, those aren't the turtles I remember...ahh, who cares, this show is awesome! A modern adaptation of the hit show Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. While the story may not seem original as the characters are all recreations of the past, the truth is that there is many new aspects to the show. This show in general has a darker tone to it which not only makes it a little more adult in nature, but also allows for storylines that the old kid focused show couldn't even dream to explore. The animation all has a modern feel to it with smoother lines and more detail to it, and the music and sound in general has a full rich tone that compliments this modern vision nicely.

My final review: While the original is great and unforgettable, this version is just as good in its own right and maybe even better as its darker nature is even entertaining for adults.
  • TMNT is a phenomena that was started in 80's before I just born and I believe it will continue its advancement for generations to come. Possibly with a new story, much advanced technology and much more growing-old-fans like me.

I am a crazy fan of TMNT tv series. I have seen all the episodes of 2003 and almost every episode were really really awesome. Are there any possibilities of season 8? I would really really really really really really really to the power infinity love that. If there was any chance of revive the the TMNT 2003 series in near future please let us know.It was a good ending but it would preferable to show Cassey & April's after marriage life and the turtles life too. However its up to mirage guys to decide where I'm just a fan living thousands of miles away. TMNT is a phenomena that was started in 80's before I just born and I believe it will continue its advancement for generations to come. Possibly with a new story, much advanced technology and much more growing-old-fans like me.
  • This show is the best currently going on series.

This show is brlliant. From the 1st episode i was hooked onto it even more than I was the original show. It is one of my top ten, and maybe 5, favorite shows. It is one of the deeper and better shows of this era. Seasons 1 through 4 were just fantastic and among the best things i have ever watched. Its great that season 5 is set to air in Spring 2008 and I'll make every effort to watch them all. Even with it slowly going downhill with these sometimes good sometimes bad fast forward episodes it wont ruin my memory of the earlier seasons. Even with tv toning it down for younger kids it is still great. If you started watching this show with fast forward and did not like it watch earlier episodes and you'll be glad you did.
  • Better then the original cartoon, and one of my top favorite animated series, read this to see why I like it so much.

I've been a Ninja Turtles fan for years and I still am. I loved the original cartoon but the new one is way better, it's a lot closer to the original comics then the first series was and yet keeps a lot of the qualities of the first one too with a good mix of action and humor. I also like this because to me, it seems to contain more action then the first and adventures that were just as good and bizarre (In a good way) as the first series as well.

Also the fact this show is actually true to the comics unlike the past animated series which had too many different things making it stray really far from the comics, and sometimes it was usually more humor then action, there just wasn't much of it in the classic series most of the time unlike what you get in the current series which makes it much better. Also from what I checked, I don't think Mirage Studios was involved in the past series, they don't even own the rights to the past series, the rights to that series are to Fred Wolf Films. The New series however is owned by both 4Kids Entertainment and Mirage Studios so in this one they are involved, (Not saying that the classic series was bad, I did and still do like it.)

So far compareing them, the previous series was more cartoony and kiddish (which is fine for it's targeted age group) but the new one gives more for people of other ages too yet still gives a good amount of humor as the past series too especially with the comedic characters like Michaelangelo and Casey Jones, even Splinter gives some laughs every now and then, yet has more realisam then the previous series and is full of kick butt action and stull that gives the series and great sence of danger to make it more thrilling.

Another thing, since this is how the Turtles were more like in the original comics, this show is more the TRUE classic original versions then the previous one, If you like kiddish thing more then teen or adult things then I would recommend you stick to the classic series and buy it on DVD.

So far I have been disappointed with a lot of edited anime from 4kids (Mainly Sonic X) cause of how they were trying to make it more kid friendly with their targeted age group, but this series while still stuck on some standards goes a lot ferther then a lot of the anime they have after it's been edited, this series shows a lot of darkness and very extreme battle action too that I don't get these days, for a show from 4kids, I never expected to get stuff that goes this far from them so compeared to a lot of other things, I couldn't be more pleased, one of the FEW and possibly ONLY good things from 4Kids.

Don't hate this because this isn't the series you remember, if you really are a Ninja Turtles fan then you will love this series too for it being truer to the original turtles then the first series.

These reasons are why this is one of my top favorite Animated series.
  • This show is abosolutley the best TMNT show EVER!

By bringing the TMNT back to their roots, Peter Laird has created one of the greatest ever. With a perfect belnd of action, drama, humor, and sci-fi this new TMNT show manages to pump out excellent characters, unbeliveable storylines ripped straight from the original comics, and and great action scenes that stay true to the TMNT's orgins. It's an amazing show and you should definatley check it out. If your a hardcore fan of the old series, you probably wont like this new one, but for the rest of you, you'll absolutley love it. A perfect way to reawaking Turtlemania.

I give this amazing show a 10 out of 10.
< 1 2 3 4