Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)

The Unconvincing Turtle Titan

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM May 03, 2003 on FOX

7.2
  • As a stand-alone episode "The Unconvincing Turtle Titan" is amusing in spurts, but its real relevance is how it ties into the larger TMNT universe in later seasons.

In this episode we get our first glimpse at the TMNT universe beyond the Turtles' daily lives. Silver Sentry is a bona-fide superhero in the vein of DC Comics' Superman, and when Mikey thinks he can gain some public adoration by partnering up with him as the Turtle Titan, he runs into a villainous plot by Sentry's nemesis Doctor Malignus. Is the idea of superheroes existing in the TMNT universe weird? It shouldn't be, but it does take most of the episode to get used to. Maybe because the series thus far has grounded itself in a semi-realistic universe. An episode like this wouldn't feel too out of place amongst the dimension-and-space faring craziness of season 2, but dropped onto the tail end of a rather gritty battle with the Shredder, it's somewhat jarring. Luckily future seasons will continue to expand upon this idea, and Silver Sentry is just the start of a host of colorful heroes who join the fray.

Otherwise, this is a decently plotted but ultimately unmemorable episode. There's some good gags with Mikey in costume and he learns a lesson about being true to who he is, but you've seen it all before. The Silver Sentry theme is nicely heroic, and there's another nice little detail - he's black. It's a small thing, but diversity is welcome in American animation especially when it's applied to the series' Superman equivalent. One of the weaker episodes of season 1, but an important piece of the overall puzzle.
  • Super hero classic Mikey strikes out on his own to make a name for himself. Exellent

This episode was a nice one. And it was the first episode that had one of the turtles go off on their own. I think this episode really shows a slightly deeper side to Michaelangelo than what has been shown in previous episodes. It is also the episode that actually got me to like the new incarnation of the orange masked turtle.

Michaelangelo\'s infatuation with super heros is very cute and even though may appear childish to his brothers is really what makes up his convictions. I saw this episode as him trying to assert himself as an individual by creating an alternate idenity as \"Turtle Titan\". I think Mikey\'s desire to be a super hero and be aknowledged for skills goes to show how he may feel a little over shadowed by his brothers. And goes out to assert his own skills. Which he proves in this episode that he can do wonderfully well.

I like that in this episode Michaelangelo comes to realize that he doesn\'t have to change his persona as a ninja to do good. And even his skills as ninja are what saves his shell in the end where his flashy super hero get-up only landed him in trouble. And that he is just as good as at being a ninja than anything else.

Over-all good epsisode with nice humour and character develpment.