Tell Me You Love Me Forums

HBO (ended 2007)

Is the sexual intercourse on this show real or not???

Is the sexual intercourse on this show real or not???

JohnnyDrama8

[1]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    Some people think they are actually having sex on this show and one scene a man is getting a hand job and he explodes for lack of a better word. They show all this so what's the deal real or not? HBO shows like Deadwood or Rome have showed scenese before with sex making it look real but on closer examination the male actors were wearing underwear.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SoylentYellow

[2]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 21

Not real.

Otherwise, the show would be rated X - and not even HBO shows X rated material. Though I guess a man could "explode" after being, um, er, if he were sufficiently "stimulated" enough. But that technically doesnt count as sex and there would be no skin on skin contact.

mrn71

[3]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 55
    Another clue that it's not real is that if it were real, there would have to be, by law, a notification that actors are all over 18.

kopeckee

[4]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 20

They are good actors ,,,

woofitt

[5]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 9
    Probably a 'toy' when the guy got his load off, sneaky camera angle to show the 'liquid' and the sex didn't look convincing. Obviously both naked, but once again sneaky camera angles, probably not actually 'penetrating' so to speak

dju010

[6]Sep 11, 2007
    • level: 88
    I really doubt it too. Still the show goes further as the common MA rated stuff as we also see "male body parts", not just in the handjob scene, but also in one of the earlier sex scenes.

The sex ain't real, I'm convinced. Still I like that the show tries to make it more real. They deserve respect for that.

MarWash

[7]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 31
    obviously not real.... they show testicles but the guy most likely has his member taped to his stomach, they do this all the time in love scenes in movies; they guy straps it to his thigh to avoid penetration. plus, like someone said, it wouldnt have a TVMA rating if there were actual penetration. the fake semen could have been anything

Truman_Burbank

[8]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 12
    The penis on the hand job scene was so obviously fake it actually made me laugh. I think that suggesting it rather than showing it would've worked a lot better. And the guy's balls also looked somewhat fake. No doubt it's all simulated.

meee223

[9]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    As I said in the other thread, I think the hand job scene was real. How can you be sure it was a fake penis Do you work with prosthetics? The climax could be faked, but I doubt it.Has anyone seen any articles anywhere that said prosthetics were used?However, I don't believe there was any real intercouse in the show.

Truman_Burbank

[10]Sep 17, 2007
    meee223 wrote:
    Do you work with prosthetics?

No, but I could tell it wasn't real and I wasn't the only one. Check the IMDb boards, there's a lot of discussion there.

Stingseven

[11]Sep 17, 2007
    >>>And the guy's balls also looked somewhat fake.>>>>

They were balls! What do they have to look like to be real to you, o genital expert? He was on top of of her, then she rolled on top and there they were. There was no cut away, no change of angle, just anatomy. Cripes. I don't think this group of well-respected actors would actually have sex for the sake of this television show, so it was definitely simulated sex, I believe. The handjob scene -- kudos for going out there on the ledge! I was just left kind of blinking for a second after that. Then we saw the old doctor going down on her old husband... I could have done without that. LOL

Truman_Burbank

[12]Sep 17, 2007

Stingseven wrote:
    What do they have to look like to be real to you, o genital expert?

When did I ever claim to be a genital expert? Is this not a place to discuss opinions? If you think all of it looked real, good for you. I didn't work on the show so it would be impossible for me to be 100% sure, but I still stand by my opinions.

Stingseven

[13]Sep 21, 2007
    You can't just yell fire in a movie theater. Even an OPINION should be based on something a little weightier (no pun) than "the balls looked somewhat fake." If you are going to say something like that, you should be prepared for the reaction.

aussiedom

[14]Sep 26, 2007
    • level: 2
    re the 'handjob' scene - I haveno idea whether the guy's 'cock' is realor not, but I seriously doubt that he is really ejaculating in the scene. I think it's relevant thatin the few seconds before he 'comes', his member is more or less hidden behind his pants, where it was clearly visible a little earlier. If you look carefully, the fluid just appears from behindhis fly and it's not at all clear that it is the real deal.

iowahawks83

[15]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 4

Of course its not real, that would be against SAG rules and guidelines for the actors to be involved in actual sex, to believe that the sex is real exhibits a deep naivety of how the industry works...

Also, according to something I read, a potential director of an episode proposedthe possibility of using unsimulated sex and was thoroughly rejected...

Edited on 10/16/2007 9:27pm

zero899cool

[16]Oct 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    It's not real but even for HBO it's pretty dang graphic.

nixoncreative

[17]Nov 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    Why such a negative attitude toward people who were unsure as to the "authenticity" of the sex scenes? I would wager that a large percentage of the people who enjoy movies and tv as entertainment have absolutely no idea about SAG bylaws or rules, etc. The same way that most people who enjoy riding rollercoasters can't explain the physics or engineering involved in the creation of one. The same way most people drive cars but can't tell you how internal combustion works. The examples could continue but the point is: the majority of us are the consumers of television not the producers. We don't know how about SAG rules and we shouldn't be looked down upon because we don't. The sex looks real so the actors are doing their jobs. But with the recent spate of movies involving unsimulated sex (The Brown Bunny, Shortbus, Ken Park, 9 Songs, etc.) it is understandable that people would see something that looks so realistic and wonder. It's just foolish to expect people to understand the ins and outs of hollywood in order for them to enjoy the product. The sex is most probably simulated since they don't go to the trouble of showing actual penetration but it's rude to talk down to someone because they wonder about it.

sfviewer

[18]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 27
    on wikepedia.org there are articles that says that the sex scenes are simulated because the actors guild don't allow an actor to engage in real sex while filming.

mrn71

[19]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 55
    Hopefully that answered the thread question definitively.