Tell Me You Love Me

HBO (ended 2007)

Tell Me You Love Me Fan Reviews (7)

• This series isn't afraid to ask the impertinent questions: How important is sex in a relationship? Does fidelity or monogamy have any relevance to a strong relationship? Will infertility split a relationship or even a marriage apart?

Explicit sexual situations and strong coarse language are the types of content that has been the guilty pleasure of many who have tuned in to HBO's late night original programming. Tell Me You Love Me is HBO's new breakthrough television series that will keep mature audiences at the mercy of their TV sets. Tell Me You Love Me, originally conceived as SexLife, is centered on four very distinct couples who experience epic issues that ensues turmoil in the midst of their relationships. Jaime and Hugo, who are in their late 20s, undergo fidelity problems as they approach their wedding date. Carolyn and Palek, who are in their early 30s, struggle with the notion of getting pregnant. Katie and Dave, who after having been married for 12 years and given birth to two children, attempt to revive their sexual intimacy. Dr. May Foster, who has experienced her fair share of relationship issues in her youth, becomes each couples therapist. But what really makes this new hit series a breakthrough in television programming? Haven't we all seen the same storyline play out in other hit series like The Sopranos or Sex and the City? While it is true that we have seen the same storyline play out in other HBO original programming, its directorial approach and story narration takes the same ol' same ol' to a new extreme keeping the series fresh and worthy of both an Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award. The directorial approach used by the shows producers has been critical to the success and production of the series. In a show that features realistic depictions of sexual penetration, oral sex, masturbation and ejaculation the director has to be extremely careful to keep the integrity of every actor in the scene. With the help of specific set lighting, camera angle and movement, and ultimately film editing both the director and producers are able to accomplish such difficult tasks. But what really gives the series its flare is how the director shoots the scenes. Most notably, swish panning and hand-held shots. Although there is more to what the director uses to achieve such flare, it is these specific shots that make us feel like we are dropping in and spying on these characters. Yes, even during the simulated sex scenes. So all those who are into or have ever been curious about voyeurism this should suffice for a legal viewing. This type of directing "reels" you in to the lives of each character making for an almost guilty yet exhilarating viewing experience that enthralls you to the small screen late on a Sunday night. Don't worry, you might find the series On Demand. Equally well-crafted, is the series "character-driven" story that downplays "action," if you now what I mean (wink wink), in favor of exploring the psychological complexities of each character. The couple's therapist, Dr. May Foster, is an essential character who becomes the mediator, not only between the partners in each relationship, but more importantly between the characters and the viewer. Even though we are following the lives of these couples, it isn't until they are with our mediator that we are exposed to each character thoughts regarding their relationship issues in a more intimate fashion. What is really admirable about this series is that it isn't afraid to explore full unadulterated love. Yes, the series does have strong sexual scenes, extreme nudity, suggestive language, but isn't our lives surrounded by mature content? Even as children we were exposed to all these themes, which just happens to be one of the subplots of this series. "I don't want to get married," said Isabella, one of the characters in the series, after having witnessed her dad and mom, Dave and Katie, in one of their relationship disputes. "I don't want kids either." This series isn't afraid to ask the impertinent questions: How important is sex in a relationship? Does fidelity or monogamy have any relevance to a strong relationship? Will infertility split a relationship or even a marriage apart? "Why do people stay together when they make each other so miserable?" said Jaime, one of the main characters in the series. The spotlight isn't only on the characters being portrayed, but it is also on us. The writers of the series have managed to pull the story of love in all its trials and tribulations from the lives of, plain and simple, everybody. It's no wonder why this show is HBO's new breakthrough television series.