A Good Finale But The End of Things As We Now It

ARC999

[1]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 1

I think "Born to Run" is a fitting end to the series. It links up with the new terminator Salvation film explaining how John in the upcoming film is much younger the the future John Connor seen in T1 and T2.

They finally revealed Weaver's motives and John Henry's purpose. That kind of wraps everything up nicely. It was good to see that Derek, Allison (Cameron) and even John's father Kyle all exist in the future. It keeps alive the possibility that the show may continue. I hate shows that kill off their main characters when they end just to make the finale more shocking or exciting.

Earlier in the season Cameron did appear to hint that she could provide female companionship instead of the Riley girl. So I thought the writer's might take the opportunity of Sarah's absence to explore this avenue. Afterall the Vick cyborg had a human wife! The way they did it was a bit of a cop-out, having Cameron ask John to get on top of her and check her insides for radiation leakage. I'd liked to have been there when they came up with that idea.

There did seem to be at least one inconsistancy in the series story line. In the pilot episode of season 1, when Cromati was breaking into the bank vault he had a quarter of his metal head exposed. When he was shot with the radioactive laser gun his head came off exposing even more of his metal body, and his head came through the time bubble with no skin on it at all . How is that Cameron's body couldn't go through the time bubble in the finale? She had less of her endoskeleton exposed than Cromati in the pilot episode.

I believe this series was meant to be a prelude to the new terminator film. People are asking for a third season, but this is the third season. Season 1 was only 9 episodes long. Season 2 has 22 episodes. Season 3 ran back-to-back with season 2 so that it would not clash with the film franchise. The film franchise, which is supposed be a trilogy, will now form a natural, seemless continuation of the terminator saga.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sNaKeBiTe688

[2]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 3
    There is an inconsistancy with Cromartie's head, yes. It shouldn't have gone through. But the writers just had to do it like that. Or do you want to see a human head, with flesh and everything flying towards you?

As for Cameron, I don't really see a problem there. I think she didn't go through, because her body was powered down and therefore not really "alive" (at least the living tissue over her endoskeleton).

However, I can't stand the thought that there might not be a 3rd season. I don't think the movies will be as good as the series. They won't have an intriguing story. It'll just be special effects and action and that's fine for 2 hours, but after that you won't think about it and maybe never watch it again.
    Edited on 04/12/2009 4:10am

memnochlv

[3]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 6
    ARC999 wrote:

Earlier in the season Cameron did appear to hint that she could provide female companionship instead of the Riley girl. So I thought the writer's might take the opportunity of Sarah's absence to explore this avenue. Afterall the Vick cyborg had a human wife! The way they did it was a bit of a cop-out, having Cameron ask John to get on top of her and check her insides for radiation leakage. I'd liked to have been there when they came up with that idea.

Based on the dialogue and the actions, it was clearly one innuendo after another. IE: He finally got his opportunity to be/feel around inside of her, he was awkward/self conscious, and in the end, she also asked how she felt!

ARC999 wrote:

There did seem to be at least one inconsistancy in the series story line. In the pilot episode of season 1, when Cromati was breaking into the bank vault he had a quarter of his metal head exposed. When he was shot with the radioactive laser gun his head came off exposing even more of his metal body, and his head came through the time bubble with no skin on it at all . How is that Cameron's body couldn't go through the time bubble in the finale? She had less of her endoskeleton exposed than Cromati in the pilot episode.

In the first two movies, Arnie did not lose his skin, he simply appeared nude. Though I almost wonder if he was sent through with any to begin. As for Cameron not going through, it may have been Weaver's choice. Perhaps by only dialing up a limited amount of power. Speaking of Weaver, she went through nude? Should she not have just lost her features and looked more like liquid metal? NOT that I'm complaining mind you, nude Shirley is always nice! LOL

ARC999 wrote:

I believe this series was meant to be a prelude to the new terminator film. People are asking for a third season, but this is the third season. Season 1 was only 9 episodes long. Season 2 has 22 episodes. Season 3 ran back-to-back with season 2 so that it would not clash with the film franchise. The film franchise, which is supposed be a trilogy, will now form a natural, seemless continuation of the terminator saga.

Most shows anymore have a short first season. Usually up to a max of thirteen (13) episodes (ironically, the number of episodes in full European seasons). They do this so the initial investment is not so great.

That being the case, it was still only two seasons, the latter running the more average number of episodes. As for the film franchise, while they're clearly strongly related, as far as artistic direction / writing are concerned, they're to avoid major plot holes, but they are not harmonious (nor even meant to be) with one another. IE, they shouldn't step on one another's toes, but they weren't planned out that way, the show got cancelled before the movie came out, they wanted the TV Show to last longer, which sucks for them, and us.

krizkraz

[4]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 7
    I'm wondering about one thing. Ellison delivers a message from Weaver to John asking if he would join them. He doesn't know what she means by that, but Cameron obvioulsy does. As it turns out, Weaver was building something to fight Skynet, so, joining her would be a good thing, right? Why did Cameron lie and tell John she didn't know what Weaver meant? Since they both have the same goal.

Syllkin

[5]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 5
    Weaver's message was to let Cameron know she was from the same faction as the terminators on the ship that Jessie's crew went to to pick up the "package".

srebeca

[6]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 1
    I love it. We need 3rd season. Fox have been doing the same stuff. Cancelling great shows, and let us a lot of questions. Just for example: dark angel, Roswell, etc. And the second season final just GREAT, I was sitting, just watching the episode. We need that kind of show, and I like terminator, movies isn't enough... we need more, like this great series.

Dirk13

[7]Apr 12, 2009
    • level: 16
    Syllkin wrote:
    Weaver's message was to let Cameron know she was from the same faction as the terminators on the ship that Jessie's crew went to to pick up the "package".

yeah but that faction was already asked by John to join them and they said "no". So it seems weird (and unexplained) for it to be the other way around now (and not sure exactly how they have joined per se or what John Henrys purpose was).

charblasaur

[8]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 13

Dirk13 wrote:
    Syllkin wrote:
    yeah but that faction was already asked by John to join them and they said "no". So it seems weird (and unexplained) for it to be the other way around now (and not sure exactly how they have joined per se or what John Henrys purpose was).

The whole "will you join us" thing is most likely not a question from Weaver, merely a way of telling Cameron that she is the Liquid from the future or from its group if it had one. Thats why Cam didnt kill John Henry, because she knew they werent "bad" terminators.

Its a bummer that Cameron didnt go along to the future but at least Alison is there. Its seems like Kyle is now perhaps the leader, seeing as John Conner wasnt there to take his prophesied role as Savior of Humankind. A very interesting twist I think, and a clear reason to bring on a third season.

At the very end where we hear Sarahs voice, I do so hope she's not the one coming in the time bubble. I thought we were finally rid of her for good.

The new cast, John, Weaver, Derek, Kyle and Alison (Xli ,no Sarah no Sarah no Sarah, ilX_) will probably be a good group of characters, and if they do it right, a third season can easily be the best season.

Btw, Xli is the best "fingers crossed" i can think.

grabda

[9]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 4
    I don't think Sarah will be coming forward in time, I think it was more like an echo of something she said as they were time-traveling. The time-bubble zapped a bit then you could hear Sarah whisper "I love you" as a goodbye to John, as she didn't answer him before they went in the elevator at Weavers offices.

ZekkJedi

[10]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 8

It and Dollhouse are the best shows on TV right now; Fox needs to wise up, get them out of the pit of Friday night and realize that riding the wave of the new terminator movie is the smartest thing they could do with the show!

The last few episodes of each have been the best yet. I already hate Fox for how badly they handled publicity with, and then ultimately canceled Standoff, and of course most of all Firefly (which had similar bad plot/episode/pilot episode decision meddling to that of Joss's new show). I only caught Standoff by accident, when it was in it's last stretch on the network (I hadn't even heard of it before I channel flipped to it) and I knew nothing about Firefly when it was on (besides the title). It was only a year or so ago that a friend showed it to me and I borrowed his DVDs of season 1 and then the Movie, and as soon as I was finished I ordered the DVDs off amazon I don't know how Fox can be so stupid to intentionally sabotage these shows and keeps giving us more reality TV show drivel (and I agree the smartest thing for Fox to do would be to make money off of the DVR for shows they're running on Friday night)

2 questions for the fans:

1. has Joss/anyone else worked to make sure all the "Browncoats" (as well as any others of the Whedon fan base: Buffy/Angel fans) are aware of Dollhouse and it's network woes, and doing something about it?

2. has anyone started up a Terminator "Resistance" site (i.e. a parallel to the "Browncoat" supporters of Firefly)? [and If so where do I sign?] Finally, [this may be lame, but it seems appropriate;] in the words of John Connor "If you are listening to this, you are the resistance."

Edited on 04/14/2009 6:33am

ZekkJedi

[11]Apr 13, 2009

all the stuff people are saying about how it ties into the new movie strikes me as wrong. The new movie is a sequal to T3, but given John skipping foward to the future, he also skipped the events of that movie. Most noticeably meeting and falling for Kate. In the movie they're together, married and expecting a baby. None of this can happen, and she's in fact already dead after Judgement Day, if John were to stay leaped foward.

(some are saying that evidence for this is that in Salvation John is younger than Kate, if anything I think Bryce Dallas Howard looks alot yonger than Christian Bale, and hey guess what she is. [actually this is a continuity problem even w/out the finale, in T3 it sounded like they were in or around the same grade in school, but with the leap foward in the 1st episode, shouldn't he be a few years yonger? The easiest cop out for this is to say that he's much emotionally older and haggard and it's showing physically. Frankly, I'm fine with that cop out.] Others are mentioning that in the new movie he looks younger than in the flash fowards at the start of previous movies, but that's the point those shots were from times after he's been leader of the resistance for a while, wheras the new movie happens before that)

no, this must be a divergent timeline that must be corrected in the 3rd season (please let us have it)

P.S. my biggest/only problem with the new movie, and the prequel book by the brilliant Timothy Zahn (which I just finished), is the abscence of Derek from any plot/mention, I hope we at least have him in movie #5, he was/is (time paradoxes are part of what make this show and the franchize so amazing) the best character to come out of the show, and by far my favorite in the series besides John. [Tie for 2nd place between Kate, and Derek for alltime favorite in the franchise, and if there's a way that the writer's could (smartly; it has to really make sense) incorporate Kate into the TV show for an episode or two, that would be great!]

Edited on 04/13/2009 9:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

indyv72

[12]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 2
    Actually ZekkJedi, this series was intended to tie in with the new Terminator trilogy and with the new movies they stated that T3 is an alternate universe and is not part of the new movies. 2018 is J-Day now in the new movies (as apposed to the T3 being waht, 2003 or something like that? and T2 was suppose to be 1997 for J-Day). For more information on this, follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator:_The_Sarah_Connor_Chronicles and scroll down to Production.

Exophagy

[13]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 6
    indyv72 wrote:
    Actually ZekkJedi, this series was intended to tie in with the new Terminator trilogy and with the new movies they stated that T3 is an alternate universe and is not part of the new movies. 2018 is J-Day now in the new movies (as apposed to the T3 being waht, 2003 or something like that? and T2 was suppose to be 1997 for J-Day). For more information on this, follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator:_The_Sarah_Connor_Chronicles and scroll down to Production.

That link says nothing about the series being related to the new trilogy. It just says it's in a different time-line than T3.

If the new movies are also in a different time-line than T3 then it just means there are 3 different time-lines.

darthcrow64

[14]Apr 14, 2009

Buy the blu-ray of the first season on amazon!!! it is a deal right now!!!! Also the series has nothing to do with any other sequals other than terminator 2... it does not acknowledge the third film OR Salvation!!! The producers and writers have said it many times, yet nobody seems to listen.

BUY THE SEASONS ON DVD AND ORDER THE SOUNDTRACK!!!!! BRING THIS SHOW BACK> WE NEED IT!!!

sNaKeBiTe688

[15]Apr 14, 2009

Dirk13 wrote:
    Syllkin wrote:

I don't have much time, so I'm just gonna quote a passage from a very good blog: (http://cjcs.com/tib/3222/ttscc-0222-born-to-run/ )

John's decision to save Savannah (and consequently revealing his and Cameron's existence to Weaver) did much to heal the damage done by Queeg's headstrong crew. I think the key was when Sarah, alone in the interview room, honestly protested her concern for Savannah's safety. Despite the damage done by Jesse and her crew, as well as by Ellison and his self-righteous prevarications, Weaver got to see who John Connor is as well as the concerned branch from whom he was taught. Unlike Weaver's (presumed) experience aboard the Carter, these were people who would not only flip the up-turned turtle back onto its feet, but place it out of harm's way. While the MPA terminator couldn't ally with the sort of monsters that inhabited the sub in 2027, Weaver could find an ally in the compassionate and understanding, yet tough, John Connor.

ZekkJedi

[16]Apr 14, 2009
    Exophagy wrote:
    indyv72 wrote:

That link says nothing about the series being related to the new trilogy. It just says it's in a different time-line than T3.

If the new movies are also in a different time-line than T3 then it just means there are 3 different time-lines.

One thing I've been wondering with this series for awhile now, is whether the essential idea, as to how the show relates to the movies, is that it's all consisting of several pre-destined and overarching events. One of the big themes in T3 was the inevitability of Skynet and the inevitability of John Connor leading the resistance. him and Kate ending up together might also be one of those predestined things [except for a possible season 3 timeline, where John was temporally absent from the predestined events of T3]. in the new movie, is it that J-Day is on 2018, or is it that the movie events start in 2018? if it is that the judgment day referred to in the movie has been moved forward several years from its last incarnation, then that could serve to point to the events detailed in the TV series, essentially, pushing back the events that we saw in T3, so that they occurred later, but still occur, in relatively the same way.

on an unrelated note, I agree with the above post as to a very likely reason for Weaver, belatedly accepting the offer to join the resistance. And seeing that the future leader of the resistance was willing to put his own life on the line, in order to, accomplish the same goals Weaver is trying to accomplish (in this specific case saving/protecting savanna) makes it very logical for her to side with him.

Edited on 04/14/2009 6:05am
    Edited 6 total times.

thescp

[17]Apr 14, 2009
    I can see why FOX wants to cancel. The show has gotten BEYOND boring since the beginning of the 2nd episode. This is Terminator... where's the action that the first season brought us? The entire Jessie story line was beyond pointless. Who the hell cared about it? Not to mention the boring tangent episodes. Build character repore and backstory while giving the viewers what they want... not 10 straight episodes of boring nothingness. If there was more action, then the show would've stayed alive, people would've been watching and it wouldn't be in jeopardy. The show's creators/writers have no one to blame bu themselves. They deviated from what made the show great.

terminator4life

[18]Apr 14, 2009

ADDICTING, PLEASE SEASON THREE IT!!!

terminator4life

[19]Apr 14, 2009
    I dont feel this hacked it as a series finale, a great season finale though!

terminator4life

[20]Apr 14, 2009
    I think that phrase has a power withmachines in itself for some reason.,..