Derek (poll/"Adam Raised a Cain" spoiler)

Derek's death was...

  • Avatar of Exophagy

    Exophagy

    [1]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 12/29/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 318
    Derek's death seems to have received mixed reactions, let's see how mixed they are.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dusty114

    Dusty114

    [2]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/04
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 11
    I cant really say whether it was good or bad, it was just unexpected, I knew he was going to die at some point in the show, but i wasnt expecting the way he died in the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rapaleeman

    rapaleeman

    [3]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 12/21/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 7

    Yeah, I'm kinda indifferent. He obviously needed to die for John to "mature" but I was surprised they just up and offed him.

    Then again that was how he should go. Sorta like how Omar was killed in The Wire. The unexpected/caught by surprise was really the only way, "realistically" he was going down. I use the term loosely mind you.

    I thought he would have had a run in with Cameron or something that caused him to die or something. At least it was handled properly once he was gone. The just up and left like they should have. No meandering or anything. It was well done "after the fact".

    Side-note: Why has the acting gotten worse from every character except for John? It just seems like the show has gotten very stilted and for lack of a better term, robotic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Melzias

    Melzias

    [4]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 02/11/03
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 81
    After the heroic Sacrifice Charlie was given, it seemed rather cruel that Derek would just be capped like a normal red-shirt. I like the way the story was going, but really felt like he was not given a proper farewell.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nknh

    nknh

    [5]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 03/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 508
    Derek's death was bad (for me) because I expected more of Derek. He should have gone out in a blaze of glory, all the while trying to save John. He deserved a battle or a chase or at least an episode devouted to his death. Getting killed like he did didn't give him the credit he deserved. He's been through so much, in the future and in the present, and getting a bullet in the head and not being able to defend himself in time was a cop out, on the writers' part. A huge disappointment, like the middle of this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kai-X

    Kai-X

    [6]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 264
    He deserved better. A great loyal soldier who would die for John Connor. Thats how it should have been. He deserves so much more. I'm more saddenned that his character has been killed off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Dusty114

    Dusty114

    [7]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/04
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 11
    I cant say his death a bad thing since everyone knew it was coming. But i wonder how Cameron is going to go.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of haldrey

    haldrey

    [8]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 02/23/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,923
    I think that everyone knew that Derek was going to die sometime, but like that? Bam, you are dead. Totally unexpected. Even Charlie was given a more heroic death and he was not a principal character like Derek. Totally unacceptable, I still do not believe it.
    Edited on 04/06/2009 1:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sNaKeBiTe688

    sNaKeBiTe688

    [9]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 02/19/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 86

    Here is what they just released on the official blog:

    First thing first — Derek's death. Josh and Brian spoke privately of Derek's demise before the script was distributed to our cast and crew, and Brian (the ultimate professional that he is), understood and found Derek's fate completely appropriate. Ultimately, Derek Reese met an end he was indeed fated for — a consequence of fighting the machines, a soldier's death. RIP Reese, you will be missed.

    Source: http://www.fox.com/blogs/terminator/2009/04/06/perhaps-in-this-story-you-are-god/

    Just wanted to let you know...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sittolytic

    sittolytic

    [10]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 05/08/05
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 50

    I think the way they killed him off was brilliant. That's really the only way you can do it--the abruptness of the event leaves you numb to the reality of it, but it slowly sinks in. In that way, I think audiences were able to react along with the other characters instead of just being viewers. I've never been a fan of making a big deal out of deaths with FOX's "only one will survive!" commercials, so I think it's great that Derek's death was completely unannounced. It may not have been a very poetic or particularly cathartic end to the character, but I think the bluntness of it only punctuates the depth of the tragedy which was Derek's life.

    If the series were to end with this season, I would not regret this having happened. I just hope the finale leaves us with something spectacular.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Merlin4421

    Merlin4421

    [11]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 03/15/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 365
    sittolytic wrote:

    I think the way they killed him off was brilliant. That's really the only way you can do it--the abruptness of the event leaves you numb to the reality of it, but it slowly sinks in. In that way, I think audiences were able to react along with the other characters instead of just being viewers. I've never been a fan of making a big deal out of deaths with FOX's "only one will survive!" commercials, so I think it's great that Derek's death was completely unannounced. It may not have been a very poetic or particularly cathartic end to the character, but I think the bluntness of it only punctuates the depth of the tragedy which was Derek's life.

    If the series were to end with this season, I would not regret this having happened. I just hope the finale leaves us with something spectacular.

    I completely agree. The abruptness was perfect even knowing he would eventually die it was a shock done this way.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Falcondude123

    Falcondude123

    [12]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 09/24/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 2,602
    1. It was realistic. Even the greatest heroes are just an brief instant away from death. At least they can brag that they didn't do some unrealistic "heroic-blaze-of-glory" thing. Although Terminator is science fiction, they have always been a down-to-earth franchise. Very little sugarcoating or "fluff". Derek died in true Terminator fashion.

    2. It was horrible. WTH!! They killed awesome Derek!!! WTH?!?! Are they insane?!?!!?

    3. I have nothing more to say.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of suprememango

    suprememango

    [13]Apr 6, 2009
    • member since: 11/22/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 37
    He was a soldier. He died in battle. how many soldiers die in their comrades arms, speaking their final words as the roars of battle rage around them. I would presume not very many. Some just die. Quick and bloody. No time for mourning at the point of death. Yeah I was shocked by his death. But it fit with the story and was realistic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rapaleeman

    rapaleeman

    [14]Apr 7, 2009
    • member since: 12/21/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 7
    Merlin4421 wrote:
    sittolytic wrote:

    I think the way they killed him off was brilliant. That's really the only way you can do it--the abruptness of the event leaves you numb to the reality of it, but it slowly sinks in. In that way, I think audiences were able to react along with the other characters instead of just being viewers. I've never been a fan of making a big deal out of deaths with FOX's "only one will survive!" commercials, so I think it's great that Derek's death was completely unannounced. It may not have been a very poetic or particularly cathartic end to the character, but I think the bluntness of it only punctuates the depth of the tragedy which was Derek's life.

    If the series were to end with this season, I would not regret this having happened. I just hope the finale leaves us with something spectacular.

    I completely agree. The abruptness was perfect even knowing he would eventually die it was a shock done this way.

    Agreed.

    Like I said before this to me seemed to be the only real way he was going down. He was too skilled of a fighter to just die in a firefight on a battlefield (at least that is what the show made him out to be). He had to be taken by surprised and just straight up taken out.

    I'm sad to see him go, but to me they did right by him.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Corko21

    Corko21

    [15]Apr 7, 2009
    • member since: 11/04/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 658
    rapaleeman wrote:
    Merlin4421 wrote:
    sittolytic wrote:

    I think the way they killed him off was brilliant. That's really the only way you can do it--the abruptness of the event leaves you numb to the reality of it, but it slowly sinks in. In that way, I think audiences were able to react along with the other characters instead of just being viewers. I've never been a fan of making a big deal out of deaths with FOX's "only one will survive!" commercials, so I think it's great that Derek's death was completely unannounced. It may not have been a very poetic or particularly cathartic end to the character, but I think the bluntness of it only punctuates the depth of the tragedy which was Derek's life.

    If the series were to end with this season, I would not regret this having happened. I just hope the finale leaves us with something spectacular.

    I completely agree. The abruptness was perfect even knowing he would eventually die it was a shock done this way.

    Agreed.

    Like I said before this to me seemed to be the only real way he was going down. He was too skilled of a fighter to just die in a firefight on a battlefield (at least that is what the show made him out to be). He had to be taken by surprised and just straight up taken out.

    I'm sad to see him go, but to me they did right by him.

    I have to agree as well. Derek was an awesome character, but people (especially those calling themselves fans of the show) need to remember that this is called "Terminator" TSCC...they are fighting nearly indestructable machines. Derek was only a man, given he was an incredible soldier, but in a firefight against a machine, he always knew the chances he had. Sadly, he didn't know that is what he was up against in the end...but that is the point of the Terminator, and just b/c he was a bad-ass doesn't make him immune to bullets. They chose an awesome way to have Derek die, because it makes sense in the TSCC world.

    Basically my point is that after seeing the episode, and then seeing people attacking the show and saying they "won't watch" anymore, it pissed me off. Grow up people, the show is about "HUMANS" fighting a "WAR" against machines - in war people die. That's that.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.