Fox Execs Explain Why They Kept Dollhouse and Killed Sarah Connor

TesserT

[1]May 19, 2009
    • level: 75
    SciFiWire: Here's part of the article. Ck out the link for more.

Why did Fox pick up Dollhouse and not Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles for the fall television season? Network executives discussed their decisions on those shows, as well as reasons for moving Fringe to Thursdays and other scheduling moves, during a conference call with journalists before today's upfront fall television presentation. Kevin Reilly, Fox's president of entertainment, said that ratings were not the only factor when it came to deciding whether the low-rated Dollhouse would get a second season and remain on Friday nights.

"First, it's a bet on [creativity], and that's something that has never changed," Reilly said. "And I'm happy to say we're doing that. You know how inspired Joss Whedon is. It's a bet on Joss. The DVR numbers are a marker for us, so it is a factor, and we did see an uptick in the ratings from a 1.5 to a 2. That was a pattern for us that we liked, betting on Joss, and I think you're going to see it grow next season."

But is it the factor of "the devil you know," as opposed to the bringing in a new unproven series? ... Not to mention if we'd canceled Joss' show I'd probably have 110 million e-mails this morning from the fans," he said with a laugh. "So that's exactly right. Bet on something that has a core that you believe can work."

But that doesn't mean Fox will accept low numbers on Friday nights, said Peter Rice, Fox's chairman of entertainment. "We think that we can grow the show," he said, adding: "The show became much stronger creatively during the course of the season. Joss feels very energized about it. And we believe in him as a creator. We've had a lot of success in the past, and we feel that he can build the show, and it can grow in the new season ... and that Friday is a good place for it to do that."

As for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Fox executives viewed that series quite differently. "Terminator has completed its run," Reilly said flatly. "And I think it had a nice little run. It was a good show. It was not an either/or [with Dollhouse]. We did see it tailing off a bit. It had a nice creative core, but ultimately we made the bet on Dollhouse for the night. We had some other shows we thought would make a better profile for the night. So that's it for Terminator."
    Edited on 05/19/2009 11:16am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

___Mr_Nasty___

[2]May 19, 2009
    • level: 24
    article also wrote:
    According to Reilly, Terminator "was not an inexpensive show," and Fox had to "make some choices on the night. But, ultimately, we looked at the ratings track on Monday, where it had a pretty consistent run, and then on Friday, where it moved to. And that trend line was not pointing in the right direction. ... But we make no apologies for that show. We had a huge launch for that show, as you remember. We gave it a lot of support and some consistent scheduling. We tried, and felt it was time to move on."

Important part

Moo1337

[3]May 20, 2009
    • level: 2
    From reading that, they just seem to go on about giving Joss Whedon a chance, which I think is totally fair. I mean, he was the guy behind Firefly so maybe we should cut him some slack. But still, why can't another network bring back TSCC?!

bigrocxbl

[4]May 20, 2009
    • level: 6
    This blows...I really hope that Sci Fi grabs this. I'm shocked Fox pulled this off the air, when you figure in the movie that's coming out, and that it had a lot of fans....Just not ones that watched it on Friday night...I know I didn't.

I can tell you that the ratings numbers are a giant crock...I worked for Neilsen, and installed/maintained the sample...And once the LPM markets opened up it went from reasonable to downright fraud.

BearWooKy

[5]May 20, 2009
    • level: 2
    Remember, its SARAH CONNOR Chronicles, not JOHN CONNOR Chronicles, Sarah is probably in prison and John is in the future, how can she know what happens now... it makes sense, still I loved it and with there could be at least another episode that confronted the meeting between everyone in the future more... especially cause you don't know if the T1000 is a goody or a baddy... and love to see the conversation John has with his dad... have to wait for the movie now... for any closure... but then, is there ever with Terminator?

tvfreakazoid

[6]May 23, 2009
    • level: 8
    Here's what i read, they said that ttscc, was doing good with dvr's and fox was hoping it will do good with dvd sales then they might have kept the show, but since warner bros owns the rights to the Terminator they wouldn't get any profits from it so that means no money for fox = cancel the show, plus the ratings weren't all that great even though it was one of the best shows. I think if fox exects could of worked it out by doing something else they could of saved the show. Lazy punks.

ssa2204

[7]May 27, 2009
    • level: 6

tvfreakazoid wrote:
    Here's what i read, they said that ttscc, was doing good with dvr's and fox was hoping it will do good with dvd sales then they might have kept the show, but since warner bros owns the rights to the Terminator they wouldn't get any profits from it so that means no money for fox = cancel the show, plus the ratings weren't all that great even though it was one of the best shows. I think if fox exects could of worked it out by doing something else they could of saved the show. Lazy punks.

I don't understand why Warner just doesn't take the show into syndicated realm. Cut production costs somewhat, then simply sell it to U.S. independant stations (WGN, TBS,SPIKE, FX, SciFi, etc..) then with foreign sales (Canada, UK, France, Australia, etc..) they should have more than enough to cover production costs.

I still can't get over the fact this show got canceled and that garbage Dollhouse got renewed.I bet anything they only renewed it to save face from getting thousands of annoying Whedonites from whining.Rest assured, that show WILL get canceled next year

salsolaa

[8]May 27, 2009
    • level: 7

why you aired TTSCC at the first if you wanna to cancel it after 2 season, after alot of people already become fan and die to see what will happen next. we are fan , please some respect to your fans.

if you anna to complete dollhouse , that okay , but remember FOX now there is o prison break , no dark angel from the past, do you remember?

but at least we can have this show with dollhouse, I like dollhouse too and I'm fan with it too but I know terminator befor it and we called it FOX Legend, so please fox don't waste out chance and yours too to become you fan for ever.

thank you

BoogerHeadRat

[9]May 28, 2009
    • level: 11
    salsolaa wrote:

why you aired TTSCC at the first if you wanna to cancel it after 2 season, after alot of people already become fan and die to see what will happen next. we are fan , please some respect to your fans.

if you anna to complete dollhouse , that okay , but remember FOX now there is o prison break , no dark angel from the past, do you remember?

but at least we can have this show with dollhouse, I like dollhouse too and I'm fan with it too but I know terminator befor it and we called it FOX Legend, so please fox don't waste out chance and yours too to become you fan for ever.

thank you

Personally, I think it's great when people write impassioned pleas like this. I hate to see this forum die. Keep writing in, People! It never hurts to let FOX what a bunch of unthinking smoes they are.

And sign the petition. It can't hurt.

http://www.savethescc.com/petition

Edited on 05/28/2009 2:30am

vishus1990

[10]Jun 4, 2009
    • level: 15
    TSCC was a great show, should stay IMO.

Todd_Gray

[11]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 5

Three "between-the-lines" reasons why TSCC's was cancelled by what I could interpret from that executive's response...

1) Dollhouse is full of hot-looking, scantily-clothed action babes who can be programmed to be "naughty little sex kittens",

2) The writing in season two of TSCC's went in the toilet, and

3) After the writer's srtike, FOX basically lost any commitment to keeping the show alive anyway.

michael_LB92

[12]Sep 15, 2009
    • level: 24
    ssa2204 wrote:
    I still can't get over the fact this show got canceled and that garbage Dollhouse got renewed.I bet anything they only renewed it to save face from getting thousands of annoying Whedonites from whining.

Yeah. I bet FOX is investing millions of dollars just so they don't get lots of emails!

NJZ

[13]Sep 17, 2009
    • level: 29
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    ssa2204 wrote:
    I bet anything they only renewed it to save face from getting thousands of annoying Whedonites from whining.

Yeah. I bet FOX is investing millions of dollars just so they don't get lots of emails!

They've also saved millions of dollars by cancelling Terminator AND cutting the budget of Dollhouse. I highly doubt their investment in Dollhouse is costing them as much as TSCC did. I know what you're trying to say here Michael, but I also happen to agree that Dollhouse's renewal has A LOT to do with Whedon's extreme fans, who would have - without a doubt - vocalised their anger towards FOX (had the show been cancelled). Having said that though, it doesn't just come down to that one point. Dollhouse's renewal over TSCC is due to many factors. I just think that this particular factor was a major one in FOX's decision. They just won't make that publicly known because it makes them look bad.

Hi6006

[14]Sep 17, 2009
    • level: 1
    After watching the last episode with its own cliff hanger, i can't believe they are canceling the series.
    i really wish they would change there minds and resume the series next year because even though i watched Dollhaouse it is not at all as good as TTSCC.

well, i should not be surprised because TTSCC was not the first great series to be canceled.

MarkLucchesi

[15]Nov 6, 2009
    I agree bring back TTSCC. I was so upset over losing this show. Dollhouse is not as good compared to Terminator. I hope another network picks it up.

Todd_Gray

[16]Dec 17, 2009
    • level: 5

MarkLucchesi wrote:
    I agree bring back TTSCC. I was so upset over losing this show. Dollhouse is not as good compared to Terminator. I hope another network picks it up.

It would have been nice if FOX could have committed enough resources for 2 - 3 final episodes to at least give fans of TSCC's some series closure. it really irks me to no end when a network ends a series and leaves it hanging like they did this show. Another one I enjoyed was the "Blade: The Series", which had a good core cast and a pretty good storyline, and of course, that network just cancelled it on a cliff hanger ending.

neon_knight

[17]Jan 2, 2010
    • level: 3
    All i can say is there idiots =/ one of the best shows in my view be greatly missed =(

LastToKnowMovie

[18]Jan 3, 2010

Dumping 'Somethings Got To Give' 1962, 'Tru Calling' 2005; do these guys remember Betamax, pilots?

Okay, shows have a natural-end; welcome to the 21st-century, people will pay to download & even submit ideas for new movies & shows [3-tasters US Copyright online TODAY http://www.lasttoknowmovie.com/ click left-most blue-buttons].

Manufacturers WILL produce the wi-fi 1080p video-jukebox; 4Tb easily-filled with movies, trailers, music-videos...

Zero-loss to pirates where a movie 'ships' for UKĀ£5 [broadband, no DVD-production storage logistics], typical cost of DVD on market-stall.

Dusty-archives [Petticoat Junction, My Mother The Car...] are 'owned' by studios; cast paid-off decades-ago, cheap-or-free to 'create' & promote new business-opportunities.

[19]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 21
    Can someone remind me, what happened to Dollhouse?!

For my 2cents, it was a novel idea, and the central subplot of exposing the DH was good, but almost every episodial plot was along the same lines and just got tired real fast.

striplay

[20]Jan 26, 2010

I for one have given up on FOX...I will not get interested in them again, just to have the show cancelled leaving me dangling.

This is more than just once it has occurred...and that is unacceptable to me.

IMO there should be a petition asking fans to unite to show them who the real boss' are.

The FANS!

If we stop watching all together, how much do you think they'll listen then?

Either way...the only way I'll even consider watching their channel again is if my FAVORITE SHOW Terminator: TSCC is returned.

Until then...well, I'm sure they can just guess what I'm thinking.