We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

If You Could Influence The Writing...

  • Avatar of Falcondude123

    Falcondude123

    [1]Feb 27, 2009
    • member since: 09/24/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 2,602

    I would never have taken the show this direction. Instead I would have stayed true to tradition: Guns, Robots and uber-awesome fight/chase sequences. I would have continued to elaborate on Derek's memories of the future. I also would have continued the odd chemistry between John and Cameron, and continued to develop Cameron as she learns more about humanity and it's ethics/morals. I would never have over-developed background/guest characters that didn't have to do with the future of mankind like this show has(especially dead-end characters like school prom or whatever).

    I wouldn't ever do any of those music-video sequences. I might still have introduced Reily, but I would have revealed her true identity MUCH sooner instead of letting people hate her for so long beforehand.

    This is not a thread to just ditz on the things you don't like, but a place to explain what you would do differently.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of therealcromar

    therealcromar

    [2]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 05/10/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 95

    I would have eliminated the terminator-of-the-week from early season two, but kept Greenway. I would have had him survive the nuke plant episode and be one of the main villains for the season. He would be hunting down people on the "blood wall" while Cromartie hunted down John. I would have had Derek and John finally catch and kill him where Cameron failed to do so, showing that the humans aren't quite helpless. Greenway would have been featured quite a bit after Cromartie's demise (great episode too btw).

    I would have never introduced Jessie. Derek could have something else to do. Riley wouldn't have been from the future, just a love interest, and represent John's desire to have a normal life. More investigation of Skynet (the show has already turned that way so that's fine).

    I think developing characters that are "regular people" is an important thing to do because we can't have the Connors too disconnected from real life. We have to show some of the people they are trying to save. All of those civilian characters we meet are potential Skynet victims. If there was ever a guest star you liked, remember they will die if Sarah and John don't succeed. That makes the stakes seem more real.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fatmouse0

    fatmouse0

    [3]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 18
    Fire all the writers and hire some who'll give Summer more than 3 sentences per week.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KCW1985

    KCW1985

    [4]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 06/22/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 44
    Falcon and fatmouse, I agree completely.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of heyvid21

    heyvid21

    [5]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 08/10/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 574
    Falcondude123 wrote:

    I would never have taken the show this direction. Instead I would have stayed true to tradition: Guns, Robots and uber-awesome fight/chase sequences. I would have continued to elaborate on Derek's memories of the future. I also would have continued the odd chemistry between John and Cameron, and continued to develop Cameron as she learns more about humanity and it's ethics/morals. I would never have over-developed background/guest characters that didn't have to do with the future of mankind like this show has(especially dead-end characters like school prom or whatever).

    I wouldn't ever do any of those music-video sequences. I might still have introduced Reily, but I would have revealed her true identity MUCH sooner instead of letting people hate her for so long beforehand.

    This is not a thread to just ditz on the things you don't like, but a place to explain what you would do differently.



    You basically summed up everything I wish they had done with the show. Its pretty sad to see writer screw up a good idea so completely.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_ps2player

    super_ps2player

    [6]Mar 2, 2009
    • member since: 04/12/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 877
    ............hire new writing staff............
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kamuko

    Kamuko

    [7]Mar 6, 2009
    • member since: 02/15/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 11

    fatmouse0 wrote:
    Fire all the writers and hire some who'll give Summer more than 3 sentences per week.

    While that sounds a little harsh, I can't help but agree. I only keep watching this show because I still have hope that one day there'll be more Cameron and a lot less Sarah.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bionetic

    Bionetic

    [8]Mar 7, 2009
    • member since: 08/01/02
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 352

    Actually, I like Sarah. You can't show less of her because the show is called The Sarah Conner Chronicles. but I agree, I'd really like to see a lot more Cameron. One of the problems is that the show's focus has become too scattered. Technically it's supposed to be about the Conner's attempt to stop Skynet's inception, but at this point such a goal seems to unrealistic. We got Terminator work camps, Terminators gathering stockpiles of advanced alloys, and Terminators building AIs. How could the Conner's ever hope to account for all the Terminator activity by themselves. That's like expecting the country of Spain to stop war-mongering Russia, it's not possible. By themselves they simply don't have the resources, the man power, and the intel, etc to pull it off. Maybe if the Conner's get an advantage like intel from the future they could make a difference, but otherwise it's unrealistic. This cloak and dagger, going to UFO conventions and stumbling upon a guy that just happens to know the location of a Skynet work camp is a little cheap. They should only go out when they have proper intel; from the future, since it's their only advantage they have, but no more of this one family trying to take on the cybernetic temporal superpower nonsense without a feasible advantage. It made sense back into in the movies because the premise was more straight forward. Supposedly one key person (i.e. Miles Dyson) and company (i.e. Cyberdyne) was responsible for the creation of Skynet. All they had to do was destroy Cyberdyne, save John Conner, and they would save the humanity. Now the show has made the concept so convoluted that it seems unrealistic that the Conner's could ever hope to make a significant difference that'll stop the holocaust by themselves. Another problem with this franchise is that it's limited to one region of the world; California. I mean it seems totally unrealistic to me that they could protect Conner if he's so localized. Look at the show ' 24', one of the reason this season of '24' is so great is because they managed to get out of Cali. They should have the Conner's located in a homemade bunker underground waiting for Judgment Day. I mean if Judgment Day happened tomorrow, John would be caught right in the middle of it. They are constantly changing the future. Something they do could hasten Judgment day or even delay it. The point is they don't know when it's gonna happen. The bunker would be something similar to what the show 'Lost' had. Essentially they'd live out o the bunker. Each season would be comprised of a set of objectives revolving around intel from the future. It'd be something similar to what we saw at the beginning of this season. And we would have more flashbacks to the future. And most important, the show would place more emphasis on illustrating what makes John so special. I think John's significance has gotten lost in the course of the series. Supposedly it's the skills he learns while working with the Cameron and fighting the Terminators, but technically anyone could learn those skills.

    Also they need to answer the question of why future Skynet just doesn't destroy the atmosphere on earth. I mean he really doesn't need it, he's a robot right. It's be really easy to wipe out humanity if they just took out something vital to human existance, like oxygen. To me, one way to explain it might be to suggest that Skynet is purposely keeping humanity alive. I'd develop that angle a bit.

    Edited on 03/07/2009 12:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Falcondude123

    Falcondude123

    [9]Mar 7, 2009
    • member since: 09/24/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 2,602
    Bionetic wrote:

    Actually, I like Sarah. You can't show less of her because the show is called The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

    Also they need to answer the question of why future Skynet just doesn't destroy the atmosphere on earth. I mean he really doesn't need it, he's a robot right. It's be really easy to wipe out humanity if they just took out something vital to human existance, like oxygen. To me, one way to explain it might be to suggest that Skynet is purposely keeping humanity alive. I'd develop that angle a bit.

    Well, I don't neccesarily agree that the name of the show means Sarah has to be the main character, just a co-main character. They need to be more equal among the whole crew.

    The problem with wiping out oxygen is

    1, it's pretty much impossible, even if you nuked the whole planet, to rid it of an atmosphere, and even harder to target a specific element like Oxygen on a global scale. Nukes don't use combustion, btw, they use fusion or fission, which doesn't target oxygen specifically.

    2, Skynet actually probably WOULD need oxygen, since without it you cannot operate any kind of combustion or jet engine. Those flying terminator robots wouldn't be able to fly without the oxygen their jet engines burn.

    This last episode has actually given me a bit of hope for the future of this show: I just worry it might be too little too late.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bionetic

    Bionetic

    [10]Mar 7, 2009
    • member since: 08/01/02
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 352
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    Bionetic wrote:

    Actually, I like Sarah. You can't show less of her because the show is called The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

    Also they need to answer the question of why future Skynet just doesn't destroy the atmosphere on earth. I mean he really doesn't need it, he's a robot right. It's be really easy to wipe out humanity if they just took out something vital to human existance, like oxygen. To me, one way to explain it might be to suggest that Skynet is purposely keeping humanity alive. I'd develop that angle a bit.

    Well, I don't neccesarily agree that the name of the show means Sarah has to be the main character, just a co-main character. They need to be more equal among the whole crew.

    The problem with wiping out oxygen is

    1, it's pretty much impossible, even if you nuked the whole planet, to rid it of an atmosphere, and even harder to target a specific element like Oxygen on a global scale. Nukes don't use combustion, btw, they use fusion or fission, which doesn't target oxygen specifically.

    2, Skynet actually probably WOULD need oxygen, since without it you cannot operate any kind of combustion or jet engine. Those flying terminator robots wouldn't be able to fly without the oxygen their jet engines burn.

    This last episode has actually given me a bit of hope for the future of this show: I just worry it might be too little too late.



    Actually, those are some really good points you bring up about the oxygen. If Skynet wanted to wipe out oxygen, technically all he has to do is wipe out the rain forests. Once their are no plants to convert carbon bake into oxygen human beings will use up the supply left on earth. If it doesn't wipe up out completely, it'll at least cripple us. Another possibility is skynet could just use the human model. He can just build massive factories designed specifically to pump massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. Of course that model would be really wasteful and all the smog might interfere with Skynet's ability to communicate with satellites and to use spy satellites. In regards to jet propulsion, technically if humanities wiped out Skynet won't need those drones anymore. And even if he did, couldn't Skynet just use wind propulsion? Also, how about the propulsion they use on the space shuttle? Whatever they use to push the shuttle through space has to be able to fly without the use of oxygen, right?

    But even if we assume removing oxygen from the earth is off the table Skynet could also use a biological warfare weapon or a chemical warfare weapon. Point is, I don't see what's preventing SKynet from winning.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.