If you want this series to survive.....

Sahlinrob

[1]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 3

I 1. Go out and buy the 1st season dvd set, it's in the stores, wally world, Costco, Best Buy etc. or it can be ordered online from Amazon.

2. Go to Amazon.com, buy and download all the currant season episodes, even the ones that you may not have liked all that well. This can be done at Amazon.com/video on demand. They can be saved on your pc or saved to a disk to play on your TV set. The cost of the 1st season dvd set is about $15.00 and the currant season episodes are about $2.00 each.

3. Encourage your friends to do the same.

4. Go visit other "appropriate" web sites and post threads like this one and do it on a regular basis, not just once. In other words "take action", try to get a "movement" or a "cult following" started.

I know that the proceed from dvd sales etc don't go to Fox TV, but if enough interest is shown in the language understood buy Warner Bros. TV producers, etc. (hard cash/profit/revenue etc.), the show will go on..somewhere, maby not on Fox or even on any free TV network but it will continue somewhere, HBO, Showtime or whatever. It would take a lot of people and I mean a LOT, and while I don't know the real numbers, I would be willing to bet there are at least 3 mill peeps that would hate to see this show get totally "terminated" and if all those people were to take the above mentioned steps it would generate about 147 million in revenue, enough to give it a fighting chance.

A lot of folks will read this and start listing all the reasons it wont work and the odds are probably in favor of it not working, but if that sort of "defeatist" attitude is adhered to then it absolutely will not work and the show will not go on..guaranteed. If this seems like too much effort put toward a perhaps "dieing cause", then you might as well just sit back and get ready to enjoy the next American Idol, Survivor, or some other such moronic crap.

As I sit and write this message I realize a successful outcome is not even on the horizon, but also that a journey of 10,000 miles starts with the first step out the door.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

A_Kefka

[2]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 10
    As nice as this plan is, buying DVDs hasn't saved any shows in the past, only watching it will. If buying the DVDs could save a show, Firefly would be on.

JWEBSR

[3]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    I look forward to the show and have since the first episode. However, the only thing that will save this show is ratings. And unless the shows get drastically better and the audience increases quickly, it's RIP SCC.

Doom442

[4]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 4
    As you have stated, Fox doesnt get the revnue from dvd's for TSCC. Fox only cares about profit and doesnt give a damn about any interest (personal, not financial). They only get revenue from advertisements during the show. So the only way to get this show to survive is to encourage people to watch it live, other than wait and buy the DVD
    Edited on 02/27/2009 4:50am

TVObsessee

[5]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 6
    but not everyone watching will make a difference. you do know that only nielsen households make a difference, right? it's a totally flawed system, but there's nothing we can do about it. fox has sent it to the graveyard, and we all know it.

techie775

[6]Feb 27, 2009
    A_Kefka wrote:
    As nice as this plan is, buying DVDs hasn't saved any shows in the past, only watching it will. If buying the DVDs could save a show, Firefly would be on.
    Yes it has. Family guy was saved partially by how many copies of it's dvds were sold. The rest was due to Cartoon Network but it has happened...

Falcondude123

[7]Feb 27, 2009
    T:SCC has screwed ITSELF; it's not Fox's fault the ratings are failing.

Seriously, all this hocus-pocus dream/hallucination/cross-gender/dilusion crap is destroying the very essence of the Terminator franchise by inserting randomn, philosophical garbage into what is quickly amounting into one of the most worthless experiments ever known to television.

What ever happened to cool sci-fi action and explosions?? Why are we even watching this psycho mumbo-jumbo anymore??

Firetears

[8]Feb 27, 2009
    • level: 23
    Falcondude123 wrote:

Seriously, all this hocus-pocus dream/hallucination/cross-gender/dilusion crap is destroying the very essence of the Terminator franchise by inserting randomn, philosophical garbage into what is quickly amounting into one of the most worthless experiments ever known to television.

What ever happened to cool sci-fi action and explosions?? Why are we even watching this psycho mumbo-jumbo anymore??

Speak for yourself. I'm all about philosophy, psychology, and character-driven arcs. Who wants to tune in every week to see another car explosion? Not I. I want to learn about the characters. I want to feel passionate about the storylines and not just watch it for the good guys vs. bad guys value. The show is quality at the very core and that's because we get an even mix of everything.

Oh, and the ratings failed right from the season 2 premiere. How do you explain that? It is very much FOX's fault. They aren't promoting the show like they should and moving shows always result in a rating decline but moving it to Friday night death slots? You're just asking for a cancellation. Just because you aren't a fan of drama doesn't mean FOX have no faults in the rating drop.

therealcromar

[9]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 6

Falcondude123 wrote:
    T:SCC has screwed ITSELF; it's not Fox's fault the ratings are failing. Seriously, all this hocus-pocus dream/hallucination/cross-gender/dilusion crap is destroying the very essence of the Terminator franchise by inserting randomn, philosophical garbage into what is quickly amounting into one of the most worthless experiments ever known to television. What ever happened to cool sci-fi action and explosions?? Why are we even watching this psycho mumbo-jumbo anymore??

You are everything that is wrong with the world.

fatmouse0

[10]Feb 28, 2009
    Falcondude123 wrote:

100% right. Dunno about you but I've seen season 1 on bluray at least 10 times, I liked it that much. In season 2 I can barely get through the episodes once. If fox doesn't cancel this trainwreck they're insane.

KCW1985

[11]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 7

techie775 wrote:
    A_Kefka wrote:
    Yes it has. Family guy was saved partially by how many copies of it's dvds were sold. The rest was due to Cartoon Network but it has happened...
    I was about to say the same thing. Family Guy got saved twice.

I already bought the DVD.

Kamuko

[12]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 3

Falcondude123 wrote:
    T:SCC has screwed ITSELF; it's not Fox's fault the ratings are failing. Seriously, all this hocus-pocus dream/hallucination/cross-gender/dilusion crap is destroying the very essence of the Terminator franchise by inserting randomn, philosophical garbage into what is quickly amounting into one of the most worthless experiments ever known to television. What ever happened to cool sci-fi action and explosions?? Why are we even watching this psycho mumbo-jumbo anymore??

I feel like that's exactly the reason for decreasing ratings. This show is simply no longer interesting. Basically, you can do a lot of character arcs but if you see no character development it's pointless. They're randomly running around saving/killing people/terminators. They don't seem to even know themselves what they're doing. The general idea is to stop the terminators from taking over the planet but there is simply no progress shown the entire second season. The relationship between Cameron and John that was so carefully build up in season 1 has simply been ignored. Instead we get random secondary characters that have none or little impact on the plot. If they seriously want to keep this show going they need a drastic change in direction.

Falcondude123

[13]Mar 20, 2009
    Firetears wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'm all about philosophy, psychology, and character-driven arcs. Who wants to tune in every week to see another car explosion? Not I. I want to learn about the characters. I want to feel passionate about the storylines and not just watch it for the good guys vs. bad guys value. The show is quality at the very core and that's because we get an even mix of everything.

Oh, and the ratings failed right from the season 2 premiere. How do you explain that? It is very much FOX's fault. They aren't promoting the show like they should and moving shows always result in a rating decline but moving it to Friday night death slots? You're just asking for a cancellation. Just because you aren't a fan of drama doesn't mean FOX have no faults in the rating drop.

Hey, everyone! Look! It's Josh Friedman!!^^

Agent_J69

[14]Mar 27, 2009
    Kamuko wrote:

Falcondude123 wrote:

I feel like that's exactly the reason for decreasing ratings. This show is simply no longer interesting. Basically, you can do a lot of character arcs but if you see no character development it's pointless. They're randomly running around saving/killing people/terminators. They don't seem to even know themselves what they're doing. The general idea is to stop the terminators from taking over the planet but there is simply no progress shown the entire second season. The relationship between Cameron and John that was so carefully build up in season 1 has simply been ignored. Instead we get random secondary characters that have none or little impact on the plot. If they seriously want to keep this show going they need a drastic change in direction.

I definitely have to agree with Kamuko. While I still enjoy the show, I very much miss the relationship that was building up between Cameron and John. The random secondary characters like Jesse and Riley were definitely quite unnecessary and had little impact on the story. I recall reading an interview with Josh Friedman and he talked about knowing where he went wrong with Season 1, so he made big changes to Season 2. I think those changes were definitely not the way to go as Season 1 was without a doubt better than Season 2. I've been only been watching hoping to see John and Cameron's relationship develop further, though I was greatly disappointed when they did pretty much ignore it. The latest episode, S2-E20, To The Lighthouse, definitely brought back the old Season 1 charm though. I'm now looking forward to the final 2 episodes of Season 2 and I'm really hoping they continuing building the relationship between John and Cameron. I'm also hoping they bring back the philosophical introductions and conclusions that they had with each episode in season 1.

Falcondude123, if you don't like the "randomn, philosophical garbage", I'm guessing you didn't like season 1 either then? Because in every single episode of Season 1, each episode started and ended with a great philosophical message which I also miss in Season 2. In fact, Season 2 has more sci-fi action and explosions and less to ponder over with the exception of the "hocus-pocus dream/hallucination" episode ("Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep", S2-E16)...

meateater79

[15]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 7

Falcondude123 wrote:

That's fine for movies, but a TV show needs well developed characters to keep audiences interested. A major draw of the Terminator franchise is the emerging awareness and humanity of the Terminators. Robots blowing each other up is cool, but IMO Cameron trying to wink is what keeps me on the show.

Trey_mac

[16]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 2
    Kamuko wrote:

Falcondude123 wrote:

That's why the show is awesome. How would they know what they're supposed to do. I think this is what would actually be happening and makes it more real. And things are progressing in a real time, not some super sped up tv time line. I like this season much more than the first.

Tortured_Mike

[17]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    Actually, Dvd sales saved Family Guy.
    The descision was made to cancel it, then the sales went thru the roof so they renewed it.

Latrosicarius

[18]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 1
    Kamuko wrote:

The relationship between Cameron and John that was so carefully build up in season 1 has simply been ignored. Instead we get random secondary characters that have none or little impact on the plot. If they seriously want to keep this show going they need a drastic change in direction.

I agree with this. I was hoping for so much more in this development. It would be cool if he can test whether cameron is "fully functional". but seriously, we all know she's a "different" kind of terminator. she can eat, so does she have to go to the bathroom too? And other stuff like that. I was hoping they would go into what is different about her. Is she learning human emotions? some episodes hint to this, but others ignore it.

it also seems they change direction too much with and never finish any story arcs. I was always interested in who wrote the grafitti on the walls and doors of his one school, which made the girl jump off the roof. And that girl with the "over protective father" who john initially liked, but his friend called her "damaged goods". Those whole stories were left unanswered when he moved away.

What happened to the wheelchair guy in the library who had cancer? She should revisit him.

Now I understand WHY some story points were dropped --- because the Writer's Strike cut season 1 short, and they had to cram the essential plot points into Season 2. But if Fox would give them a chance and let them take their time into a 3rd season, maybe the show wouldnt be so disjointed.

But the acting is for the most part really good (a few corny moments, but who cares). I'm going to continue watching the show till its dead, and I hope if Fox Cancels it that it can move to SciFi or some channel that might actually care about it the show and the fans. I'm going to buy season 1 right now from amazon

By the way, I dont have a cable box. I have cable, but its not a box. I dont think my raitings count I dont think the cable company can tell what i'm watching. I think many people are like this, and of course many people DL it and record it, especialy people who like this kind of show because naturally those people will be technology savvy and probably have no problem DLing it. So fox is really underestimating its viewerbase

Falcondude123

[19]Apr 5, 2009
    Agent_J69 wrote:
    Kamuko wrote:

Falcondude123 wrote:

I definitely have to agree with Kamuko. While I still enjoy the show, I very much miss the relationship that was building up between Cameron and John. The random secondary characters like Jesse and Riley were definitely quite unnecessary and had little impact on the story. I recall reading an interview with Josh Friedman and he talked about knowing where he went wrong with Season 1, so he made big changes to Season 2. I think those changes were definitely not the way to go as Season 1 was without a doubt better than Season 2. I've been only been watching hoping to see John and Cameron's relationship develop further, though I was greatly disappointed when they did pretty much ignore it. The latest episode, S2-E20, To The Lighthouse, definitely brought back the old Season 1 charm though. I'm now looking forward to the final 2 episodes of Season 2 and I'm really hoping they continuing building the relationship between John and Cameron. I'm also hoping they bring back the philosophical introductions and conclusions that they had with each episode in season 1.

Falcondude123, if you don't like the "randomn, philosophical garbage", I'm guessing you didn't like season 1 either then? Because in every single episode of Season 1, each episode started and ended with a great philosophical message which I also miss in Season 2. In fact, Season 2 has more sci-fi action and explosions and less to ponder over with the exception of the "hocus-pocus dream/hallucination" episode ("Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep", S2-E16)...

Season 1 eps had philosophy, but they didn't stuff it down our throats as entire episodes of dreaming/hallucinations/watever. Instead, they used the story to make us ask certain questions, like, "Why is Cameron dancing? How could that be important to her? Does she have some kind of a soul? Can machines have a soul?" or, "Derek grew up fighting machines; he hates them, but can he forgive Cameron for what she is? Should he forgive her? Can anyone really trust a machine?" or, "Why did Cameron say that to John? What purpose could that sentence serve? Is she manipulating him or does she really feel something for him? Can she feel anything at all?"
    THAT is the essence of the Terminator franchise! When Arnold is lowered into the lava, little johnny cries. He cries because he loves his big, metal friend. THAT is the kind of drama that makes this an enduring story! THAT is why there are still movie sequels coming out for this franchise!
    Yes, the explosions are fun, but every action flick has those.
    We DO need philosophy, for that is what Terminator is about, but we DON'T need Sarah giving silly narrations about the legend of the midnight b*tch, or wutever.

You see what I mean?

Agent_J69

[20]Apr 5, 2009
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    Agent_J69 wrote:
    Kamuko wrote:

Falcondude123 wrote:

Season 1 eps had philosophy, but they didn't stuff it down our throats as entire episodes of dreaming/hallucinations/watever. Instead, they used the story to make us ask certain questions, like, "Why is Cameron dancing? How could that be important to her? Does she have some kind of a soul? Can machines have a soul?" or, "Derek grew up fighting machines; he hates them, but can he forgive Cameron for what she is? Should he forgive her? Can anyone really trust a machine?" or, "Why did Cameron say that to John? What purpose could that sentence serve? Is she manipulating him or does she really feel something for him? Can she feel anything at all?" THAT is the essence of the Terminator franchise! When Arnold is lowered into the lava, little johnny cries. He cries because he loves his big, metal friend. THAT is the kind of drama that makes this an enduring story! THAT is why there are still movie sequels coming out for this franchise! Yes, the explosions are fun, but every action flick has those. We DO need philosophy, for that is what Terminator is about, but we DON'T need Sarah giving silly narrations about the legend of the midnight b*tch, or wutever. You see what I mean?

hahaha oh yeah i forgot about the legend of the succubus episode

yeah i definitely i see what you mean. And I definitely agree, the questions that Season 1 provoked were definitely very well done in contrast wtih Season 2 which hardly elicited any of the Season 1 quality questions like the ones you mentioned.

Edited on 04/05/2009 6:23pm