Official Discussion Thread - Desert Cantos (possible spoilers)

lowriderz95s10

[1]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 67
    Please direct all discussion for "Desert Cantos" here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stitllams

[2]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 6

Loved that episode, the ending was friggin awesome, made me wish I could watch Terminator 4 now.

What was the deal with those titles for each part, I thought they detracted from what was a good episode.

And the ending showed for sure that Skynet are way more advanced in the present than was first thought.

Edited on 02/21/2009 2:19am

gmx13

[3]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    I didn't understand the titles dividing each act either. It reminded me of Kevin Smith's Clerks.

I found it a bit weird at the end that when that drone popped up....nobody was armed. LOL. They just kind of stared at it--even Cameron.

imjessietr30

[4]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 5
    The only reason I can come up with about the titles is that some people may not know about funeral ritual, so they labeled it.

This was one of the few episodes where I got kinda antsy, like "Get ON with it!" After the mega-awesome killing spree last episode, this seemed to bring it down a notch. However, I did enjoy Weaver's conversation with Ellison and her realization that she was screwing up with the kid.

I would sell my own arm to work for Weaver. I could help her out. Her relationship to the daughter is very peculiar to me. I realize she must think the kid is necessary to keep everyone from asking unwanted questions ... but she is a Terminator. She could make it work and just get rid of the kid. Though, she sucks at showing powerful emotions. I could do a better job than her explaining some BS story to the daughter about why Mommy seems different. I don't know why she can't improv some story with the kid to satisfy her, while she can make up stories to Ellison. I would tell Weaver that she needs some hardcore watching of various emotions. She's not like the 800-series, which may have limited facial movement. She's a 1000-series model. She should be able to mimic any emotional state imaginable. If I were her consultant, I'd demand she have some psychology homework.

BiniBeans

[5]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 21
    For a woman who just had a bullet dug out of her leg, Sarah moved around quite smoothly.

sNaKeBiTe688

[6]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 3

This was quite a slow episode. No action whatsoever. This wouldn't be so bad if they had at least made some progress in the development of the character's relationships, but no. I've waited for some progress on the Cameron/John relationship since "Samson & Delilah" but not much has happened, since. One could think that they would at least talk about what went on in the hospital in last weeks's episode, when Riley disappeared and Cameron held John back, as he wanted to look for her.

I'm not saying that this episode was boring. (I still watched it 2 times ) I just wish the characters would talk a little bit more during slower episodes.

Sorry, for my bad English...

haldrey

[7]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 22
    This episode was good but kind of flat. When are they going to discover that Weaver is a terminator?

CjTl2005

[8]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 11
    I think they'll find out soon about Weaver. With the range she displayed on her killing spree, I don't think anyone really stands a chance. That's just absurd!! 25-30 feet away and she instantaneously impales her prey with her arm-daggers?! The season's (series) finale will be interesting. Those liquid metal Terminators are notoriously difficult to terminate. She's gotta have some kind of limitations. Ellison needs to start putting 2 and 2 together. He seems to be the useful idiot right now.

winterbehaviour

[9]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 22
    BiniBeans wrote:
    For a woman who just had a bullet dug out of her leg, Sarah moved around quite smoothly.

Oh man, that is a bloody good point!

cheersfan213

[10]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 7

Well, there actually was character development, just not any relationship development. Sarah is obviously still reeling from Winston's death--- seems like she too now has PTSD like John did when he killed Sarkissian. Seeing her at the funeral just staring at the picture of Winston and her little convos with his widow were the best scenes of the episode for me. If we only knew what was going on in Sarah Connor's psyche. This episode reminded by of an old Twilight Zone episode... which is good, since any good show about robots from the future should have some element of mystery within them! John's relationship with Zoe was very weird... and that Henry guy was just plain odd. For a minute there I thought he was a Terminator, then I realized that he was just a (insert expletive of your choice here). Weaver's interactions with Ellison and Savannah this episode were very odd as well... especially that look that was on her face when she told Ellison she was feeling a little emotional.

The two really big questions this episode raised: (1) What (or who) killed Walsh and the cows?

(2) What is Zoe's dad gonna do with that H-K prototype?

antdude

[11]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 27
    I enjoyed the episode. No actions, but the plot was decent. I wished KTTV showed it (and Dollhouse) in HD.

kidkiffin

[12]Feb 21, 2009
    • level: 5

since there was no mention or any screen time of riley i guess this episode wasn't so bad. it was slow and maybe a quarter could've been taken out and shown the big HK reveal earlier. well now we in suspense.

speaking of not speakin of riley, it seems like cameron is startin to influence john. he didn't biotched and moan as usual, he actually tried to do something useful.

i wonder what the paper trail will be and how will it lead to zeiracorp. john henry figured out that zeiracorp already has a lot of coltan. so imagine the connors find that out paired with the fact that ellison is helping the company develop a super advanced AI with cromartie's reparied body. i hope they don't let us hanging and they at least show the weaver death or something like that. man i am so gonna miss this show

sNaKeBiTe688

[13]Feb 22, 2009

cheersfan213 wrote:

Well, there actually was character development, just not any relationship development. Sarah is obviously still reeling from Winston's death--- seems like she too now has PTSD like John did when he killed Sarkissian. Seeing her at the funeral just staring at the picture of Winston and her little convos with his widow were the best scenes of the episode for me. If we only knew what was going on in Sarah Connor's psyche. This episode reminded by of an old Twilight Zone episode... which is good, since any good show about robots from the future should have some element of mystery within them! John's relationship with Zoe was very weird... and that Henry guy was just plain odd. For a minute there I thought he was a Terminator, then I realized that he was just a (insert expletive of your choice here). Weaver's interactions with Ellison and Savannah this episode were very odd as well... especially that look that was on her face when she told Ellison she was feeling a little emotional.

The two really big questions this episode raised: (1) What (or who) killed Walsh and the cows?

(2) What is Zoe's dad gonna do with that H-K prototype?

Well, ok. Now we know that Sarah isn't as tough as she seemed to be. However, that was kinda obvious and the writers really had to do that in order to maintain the humanity of the character (she is still John's mother).

There were many weird things in this episode. Henry, Zoe, Weaver, but also Winston's wife. I mean who gives a storage locker key to a completly strange person you just met your hunsband's funeral. In addition, Ellison is portrayed as a complete idiot. I hope he has some kind of plan we just don't know about yet, because now he just is an ex-FBI agent (who's job it was to investigate things) who can't put 1+1 together.

As for the questions (1) I think the cows and Walsh were killed differently. There was blood on Walsh's body (maybe a gunshot wound?) so I'm gonna say it was Zoe's dad. The cows didn't have any blood on them.

kidkiffin wrote:

since there was no mention or any screen time of riley i guess this episode wasn't so bad. it was slow and maybe a quarter could've been taken out and shown the big HK reveal earlier. well now we in suspense.

speaking of not speakin of riley, it seems like cameron is startin to influence john. he didn't biotched and moan as usual, he actually tried to do something useful.

i wonder what the paper trail will be and how will it lead to zeiracorp. john henry figured out that zeiracorp already has a lot of coltan. so imagine the connors find that out paired with the fact that ellison is helping the company develop a super advanced AI with cromartie's reparied body. i hope they don't let us hanging and they at least show the weaver death or something like that. man i am so gonna miss this show

I actually want to see Riley again - in the episode were she gets killed.

Anyhow, John was still biotching about Cameron. He said to Zoe that there was no reason to like her. But yeah, it was a little bit less than in the last episodes. I read somewhere that Cameron is going to do something to her chip, and I think that all this biotching about her (from John and especially Derek) plays a bigger role in that plot. I hope that FOX is giving it a 3rd season (maybe with other writers). This show has so much potential and I really don't know why so few people are watching.

Jaywork334

[14]Feb 22, 2009
    I wonder what would happen if Weaver thought Savannah was in danger. From a pedophile lurking or even a bully at the playground. I think that would be a very interesting scene.

m00nshadow

[15]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 20

I didn't much care for this episode, I'm sorry to say. Way too many coincidences to keep me in the suspension-of-disbelief space. Sarah has had PTSD for a while now, not just since she killed that guard. Since Mexico.

And watching Summer Glau basically just stand around for a whole episode made me crazy. She's the best thing in the show! If she has to show up for work, giver her something to do for crying out loud!

Now, I wonder how many people even realized that Walsch was the same guy who delivered the Turk to Weaver? Why didn't they give him something more interesting to do? (How many Buffy fans recognized him as Whistler???) Weaver must be keeping Savannah around because she's destined to be some kind of computer genious, I think. And yes, it would be interesting to see what she'd do if the kid were threatened. But it's also lame that they seemed to fix her problem with feigning motherly affection in a prior episode, and then go on as if that never happened. Overall, disappointing.

sourabhshetty

[16]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 10
    last few episode hav been kinda slow for me...they should hav given summer glau more lines this episode, she always keeps it interesting....

Kai-X

[17]Feb 23, 2009

imjessietr30 wrote:
    The only reason I can come up with about the titles is that some people may not know about funeral ritual, so they labeled it. This was one of the few episodes where I got kinda antsy, like "Get ON with it!" After the mega-awesome killing spree last episode, this seemed to bring it down a notch. However, I did enjoy Weaver's conversation with Ellison and her realization that she was screwing up with the kid. I would sell my own arm to work for Weaver. I could help her out. Her relationship to the daughter is very peculiar to me. I realize she must think the kid is necessary to keep everyone from asking unwanted questions ... but she is a Terminator. She could make it work and just get rid of the kid. Though, she sucks at showing powerful emotions. I could do a better job than her explaining some BS story to the daughter about why Mommy seems different. I don't know why she can't improv some story with the kid to satisfy her, while she can make up stories to Ellison. I would tell Weaver that she needs some hardcore watching of various emotions. She's not like the 800-series, which may have limited facial movement. She's a 1000-series model. She should be able to mimic any emotional state imaginable. If I were her consultant, I'd demand she have some psychology homework.

There are huge differances in trying to convince a young child, compared to an adult.

DBizTV

[18]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 43

Well, some of you guys are talking about the show like it's already dead. You may be right. tvbythenumbers.com says it won't be back and that the numbers are so "look away bad" that no-one else will want to pick it up and rescue Sarah and company. Sheesh.

I kinda liked this episode but did no-one tell these people that there's a gun to their head? Action from the gitgo was the only chance this show had this season, and they come out with a long slow story build. Will we ever see how it all works out? Do they have something to blackmail the studio exec's with?

Stitllams: One assumes that if they were armed, they would've been viewed as a threat and fired upon, and they couldn't beat an HK prototype with handguns.

imjessietr30: She's learning. That's what she and John Henry are doing here, learning about humans.

Although, m00nshadow's hypothesis that Savannah may be some future super-geek can't be discarded as a possibility either. Extra ditto for your rant about Cameron.

Kai-X: So true, as any teacher could tell you. Besides, Savannah has come a long way. She no longer seems frightened of her new "mommy", she climbed right onto her lap. Their entire final exchange was creepy and chilling, culminating with Weaver's clumsy, awkward embrace:

Weaver: Come, sit on my lap.

Savannah (climbs on lap): Your lap is cold

Weaver: I know.

They so need a Smiley for "creepy".

Kai-X

[19]Feb 23, 2009

I've been looking at the rating statistics of the Past seasons, It'd appear as though a trend of ratings increase and decrease every other episode. I'd expect the ratings to pick up again, but probably not by much. The next few episodes look as they will be really taking things up a notch, so maybe that'll help.

Sahlinrob

[20]Feb 24, 2009
    This is "off topic"..sorry, but I cant seem to figure out how to start a new topic, can anyone hehp with this?