Official Discussion Thread - Earthlings Welcome Here (possible spoilers)

lowriderz95s10

[1]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 67
    Please direct all discussion for "Earthlings Welcome Here" here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Alex055

[2]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 6
    From the preview...I take it John's father isn't dead? OMG, PLOTHOLE! And John Henry/Skynet is doubting the T-1000?! D:

February 13th just can't come quick enough!

DuoMaxwell007

[3]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    Maybe the John's father thing is a T1000? or him sent back from the future before the time he died and before he went back to the past to meet sarah and have John? I mean theres a million ways you could explain that w/o it being a plothole. Also how is John Henry doubting the T1000, all I see it as was him being smart enough t figure out she isn't human. I can't wait to see what she does/says about that. Maybe theyll finally reveal what shes after.

Now that episode sucked. I mean you can tell it sucked when people are here talking about the preview it showed for the next episode instead of the actual episode itself lol. I mean for a "normal" episode it was ok but for a season finale it was poor. Season finales are usually field with action, high suspense, shocking revelations (big deal riley's from the future.. who cares?), and an ending that leaves you hanging and begging for more. Like the first season finale when the car blew up that was a good clifhanger for the season ending. What about this one? Big deal Sarah;s on the ground, we know no ones gonna die from a bullet to the leg and even if we were dense enough to think that the preview from the next episode spoils it for us as they show her there and perfectly fine. Infact the preview for the next episode looked like it would have been more fitting for a season finale than this episode did, especially with the whole appearance of John's father thing

netgoddess

[4]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 10

DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    I mean for a "normal" episode it was ok but for a season finale it was poor. Season finales are usually field with action, high suspense, shocking revelations (big deal riley's from the future.. who cares?), and an ending that leaves you hanging and begging for more.

AFAIK, it was not the season finale because presumably the back nine were picked up, which means there are still nine episodes to go for season 2. However, the show is on hiatus until next year, just like Fringe.

DuoMaxwell007

[5]Dec 15, 2008
    then why are the labelling is as the season finale instead of just the last episode of the year or omething like that kinda like with knight rider lol

DuoMaxwell007

[6]Dec 15, 2008
    and also if there still 9 episodes in season 2 that would make this season 22 episodes... umm that isnt normal most shows seasons ae around 12 or so episodes so yeah i indeed do think that was teh season finally

discreet2600

[7]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    and also if there still 9 episodes in season 2 that would make this season 22 episodes... umm that isnt normal most shows seasons ae around 12 or so episodes so yeah i indeed do think that was teh season finally
    You're wrong. This is the mid-season finale (till Feb.). Most shows take a break during the holidays. There are sitll 9 more episodes for season 2. Also, most TV seasons aren't 12 episodes. They're usually around 20.
    Edited on 12/15/2008 8:00pm

cheersfan213

[8]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm surprised nobody's talking about the episode itself yet. We can guess all we want about the preview, but we won't be finding out any answers until February, so for now let's just dissect this one, shall we? Yeah, the episode wasn't the show's strongest, but it also wasn't a horrible effort. We certainly found out alot about Riley and Jesse... it must've sucked to be that dirty all of those years for Riley. Then when she finally got to see what she never saw in her entire life.... showers, everything in order, roses, the natural world... Jesse took it right away from her. Jesse was using Riley and I'm not so sure Jesse's as concerned with the rest of the Resistance as she is herself, if you ask me. When she slapped Riley, that was just plain mean. Which was of course, along with Cameron's interrogation, one of the factors that just caused her to say, "I can't take it anymore." Although when the character was introduced I wasn't crazy about her, I liked where they were FINALLY going with her... FINALLY giving her some substance... I was deeply saddened when she took her own life. I know she's just a fictional character, but I felt for her and what was going through her frail psyche when she finally decided that she couldn't go on anymore. Of course her suicide is a callback to John's earlier storyline where the family was unsure of whether or not he was trying to take his own life. The look on John's face was just stunned... not sad, or angry, or upset... just stunned. That one's circumstances can force him or her to take such drastic action. To feel that there's no hope... none at all.... and hope is essential in war, at least in fighting against it. And, we also have to remember that Derek, who was the only regular not to appear in this installment, once had a moment in the future when he was tempted to end it all.

Sarah's storyline was complex and, I do agree with some of you, quite unlike anything we've ever seen before in this franchise. I still don't see the correlation between "Abraham," Skynet and aliens. But I think it had SOMETHING to do with the metal that will be used to make H-K's in the future. So... all of those people who "saw" something in the sky... were they seeing spaceships... or H-K's? Is that what "Abraham" was working on with those other people... building H-K's? Anyone?

We finally found out in this episode what happened with James and Lila. It was Lila's decision to get an abortion that caused their relationship to deteriorate, not the Sarah Connor case after all (although I'm sure it at least played a little part in the breakup). They both wanted kids... but Lila stopped wanting them after September 11th... and then she discovered that she WAS going to have one. And then decided to "terminate" the pregnancy, in James' words. I loved his little talk with his pastor. It was hopeful yet at the same time hopeless. Kind of like what Riley was being torn between: should I have hope, even if it all seems hopeless? It turned out she wasn't so on the fence after all... she opted for the hopelessness route fairly quickly. Ellison, I have a feeling, will always be on the fence. There will always be that part of him that wishes for a return to innocence, and there will always be that part of him that feels like what was supposed to be his baby before the deed was done... vulnerable and defenseless. Ready to give up.

Finally, we have the John Henry/Ellison story: some great dialogue between the two on God and morals... John Henry trying to find out just what he is. Some good, deep stuff, indeed. It was a confusing episode... but hopefully the recap tomorrow will clear some confusion up. Hey, anybody else catch the allusions to T2 tonight? And T1 for that matter? Extra credit to whoever gets it. I also felt some of the same undertones as was present in "The Mousetrap".

kidkiffin

[9]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 5

oh i love this show. while this episode was slightly average, i give it a 7.8.

seeing Riley dead was shocking. i didn't think she would die though. we'll see more of her then there is more conflict with Cameron who was looking bangin and also would look good with a tiger tattoo.

the back nine will be awesome!!

They really gotta spend a hell of a lot of time in explaining how kyle reesse is alive. John henry might rebel agaisnt Weaver? good stuff.

the previews had more shocks in 20 seconds than 44 minutes of sarah connor lol.

too much focus on riley. oh and the new terminator salvation trailer is bangin!!

discreet2600

[10]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 3

I liked the episode. I'm hoping Riley isn't dead. Jesse needs to die I think. I don't like her character at all. She's too sneaky even though she doesn't need to be. She could have just gone to John and spoken to him about her concerns.

The end was awsome! It looked like she got picked up by on of the SkyNet planes from the future. I can't wait till Feb.

foxmccloud13

[11]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    I didn't pay attnetion at the beginning of the episode, huge mistake, and then my father decided to turn off the recorder for 15 minutes in the middle of the episode. So I am thoroughly lost and confused, but Ill watch it tommorow and actually review it. But a few things first; is Riley dead? attempted suicide and actually getting it done are two different things. And the whole Sarah and that guy/girl I think was all so crazy. I missed most of that so maybe I will understand it later.

netgoddess

[12]Dec 15, 2008

I think Riley's just in a coma and not actually dead. John caught her pretty fast; it takes awhile to die from blood loss and it isn't instant like dying from a bullet wound. So I think it's fairly safe to say she'll be back at some point.

I do hope that John finds out Riley is from the future. Or at least Cameron does.

I liked Sarah's storyline...it was intense. I'm not sure what a H-K is, but it looks like whatever the tranny lady was working on led to some of the robot tech that is eventually used by the machines to detect humans (light radar I think).

So Sarah's out in the middle of nowhere bleeding from a gunshot wound with one of the "alien" devices is hovering over her...an interesting ending for sure. Perhaps the guy from the UFO convention who thought she was mocking him will show up to help her.

I also enjoyed Ellison and Weaver's storylines. I wonder if Weaver's motivation has to do with trying to come up with a solution to where robots and humans can live in peace with each other instead of starting a war to end all wars. Otherwise, why would she be concerned with teaching John Henry morals from Ellison's religion?

Still left unanswered is how Cromartie's head repaired itself; I am quite sure a good chunk of his skull was blown off in the big firefight. I do like how Weaver pointed out that Cromartie is just a shell and the conciousness is now John Henry with nothing left of Cromartie.

Overall I thought it was a great episode. Not the best episode ever but still pretty interesting.

Unfortunately, I missed the preview for the next episode...hopefully someone will leak it out to YouTube so I can catch it.

SCC is still my favorite currently-running TV show...

Edited on 12/15/2008 10:00pm

arsilverangel

[13]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 14
    Yeah.. why does everyone think Riley is dead? She was moving around on the ground. She just suffered some blood loss... She's not dead, nor would she be in a coma.. she was just unconscious. Barring some HUGE complications I would expect her to still be alive when SCC returns.

VixenofVenus

[14]Dec 15, 2008

Let's see ... that was 40 minutes of crap followed by 2 minutes of wonderful cliffhanger suspense.

So ... both Sarah and Riley are dying ... If they both survive, I'll be really dissappointed unless we learn a whole damn lot. And since they can't kill the title character without ending the show ...

R I P
    Riley

DuoMaxwell007

[15]Dec 15, 2008
    umm sarah is dying? excuse me but who the heck dies from a gunshot to the leg? and besides in the preview for the next episode they show her alive and well lol

netgoddess

[16]Dec 15, 2008

DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    umm sarah is dying? excuse me but who the heck dies from a gunshot to the leg? and besides in the preview for the next episode they show her alive and well lol

They're not going to kill off the title character, just like how you know Dexter won't ever die until possibly the series finale. A gunshot wound to the leg would require medical attention but you'd not likely die from it.

Riley's not dead, she was found almost immediately after cutting herself. She'd not have lost enough blood in that short a period of time to be dead already.

antdude

[17]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 27
    Hmm, I didn't like this one.

gmx13

[18]Dec 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    Ultimately this really was a so-so episode. The last couple weeks have been a real disappointment in terms of marketing the show for the big move to Friday nights. As state above, the 30 second previews for the next episode were more exciting and made you want to keep watching.

Stitllams

[19]Dec 16, 2008

I for one don't have the expectation that terminators are going to be terminating on every episode, I love the show and this episode has done nothing to change that.

That hovering plane sure looked like an early HK, but ya never know, it could be run by the good guys, as for Kyle Reese, perhaps he is sent back from an alternate future.

RoverGuy

[20]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 9

Eh, so-so episode. It did not really answer many questions. We all knew Riley was from the future, we just saw how she got here. We did learn Jesse is a real ****. Sarah is still off on here three-dots quest. Did she really see the hovering hunter-killer (H-K) or did she imagine it? Last week we had the dysfunctional family, this week we have the cross-dressing scientist/waitress; sounds like a Maury Povich or Jerry Springer show. The best part was the Ellison/John Henry interaction. Still have not figured out if Weaver is a good or bad terminator.

Although, from the previews for this episode it looked like Cameron would confront Riley directly about who she is. I was disappointed when that did not happen.

T1 Ref: Sarah dressed as a waitress, all innocent looking.

T2 Ref: Sarah in her white t-shirt/asylum outfit with the K-Bar knife and "There is no fate" carved into the table.

Edited on 12/16/2008 5:34am