Official Discussion Thread - Earthlings Welcome Here (possible spoilers)

Robbieboyagain

[22]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    Ok, was it just me or did i just dream that whole episode? or was i just on a trip?

What the hell was that all about? I didnt understand any of it and i have followed every episode!

The ending was, what...? I got up to see if it had realy finished. It was a good episode but it was weird, different, and totaly confusing. But meh, Jessie is one cold **** Im thinking she is good but using Riley. Over all it has brought the series foward leaps and bounds.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nethicus

[23]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 6

OK, here's my take on the episode. I think a lot of us are going to currently say, "Hey, that episode was crap!" (some of you already are!), but ultimately, I think this is going to be one of the more important episodes of the series as far as information conveyed.

***SPOILER***

Edited on 12/16/2008 7:14am

DBizTV

[24]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 43

I really liked the Eileen and Ellison bits, the rest - not so much. Quick points:

1) Riley is not dead. There was no arterial spurt, it was just a superficial wound.

2) Having a young Kyle Reese show up is all wrong. At least John and Sarah are older than before, it makes it easier to overcome the movie images - but a young Kyle who looks and sounds nothing like he did?

3) I must agree with RoverGuy, Jessie is a real sh*t. Just when Alpine Fields had me more sympathetically inclined towards her.

4) Big thanks to Nethicus for that 'Terminator : Salvation' flash, I hadn't heard (and with Christian 'Batman' Bale as John Conner!).

Question:

Does anyone know the significance of the long opening voice-over by Sarah? What the heck does Cabeza de Vaca have to do with anything? I totally missed the connection ...

tylersmom65

[25]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 9
    Wondering about who's dead/dying - this is tv, so a character could easily die within minutes of cutting their wrists, even though in real life it probably wouldn't happen. I liked the episode, it was complex. Definitely need to watch it again as I'm sure I missed something.

mi4si

[26]Dec 16, 2008
    episode was okay

m00nshadow

[27]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 20
    netgoddess wrote:

DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    umm sarah is dying? excuse me but who the heck dies from a gunshot to the leg? and besides in the preview for the next episode they show her alive and well lol

They're not going to kill off the title character, just like how you know Dexter won't ever die until possibly the series finale. A gunshot wound to the leg would require medical attention but you'd not likely die from it.

Riley's not dead, she was found almost immediately after cutting herself. She'd not have lost enough blood in that short a period of time to be dead already.

I agree; Riley lost only a tiny amount of blood and didn't seem to be at all dead, and Sarah cannot be killed. Although a shot that nicks an artery can kill you anywhere, including your leg (femoral artery), but if that had happened, she would have bled out before she could drag herself to the door. (Blood would be shooting across the room! Wouldn't that be fun to see.) And of course, this shocking conclusion was immediately followed by a spoiler preview for the next episode where she's alive and kicking! Lame.

I wonder if Weaver's strategy is to out-compete humans by acquiring the ability to be as unpredictable as we are - "cross against the light" - since she is obviously not interested in the Connors. We've seen how ill-eqipped T-888's are to respond to an ambush. Last week, Sarah commented, "They always come through the front door."

Cromartie's head. Well, that's just some artistic license, I think. Cameron healed way faster than John, but not THAT fast.

m00nshadow

[28]Dec 16, 2008
    DBizTV wrote:

Question:

Does anyone know the significance of the long opening voice-over by Sarah? What the heck does Cabeza de Vaca have to do with anything? I totally missed the connection ...

Well, that name means Cow's Head, and Catherine Weaver did have that crack about preferring to be the guy with a gun than a cow, even though cows are more powerful than people. Okay, just kidding. It was pretty obscure. Sarah seems to be undergoing a symbolic death in the desert, just like de Vaca sort of did, and then there's the conversation between Sarah and the transgendered waitress/engineer (Eileen) where they both say they were "killed" by the machines in their previous lives. Best guess.
    Edited on 12/16/2008 3:29pm

DBizTV

[29]Dec 16, 2008
    m00nshadow wrote:
    DBizTV wrote:

Question:

Well, that name means Cow's Head, and Catherine Weaver did have that crack about preferring to be the guy with a gun than a cow, even though cows are more powerful than people. Okay, just kidding. It was pretty obscure. Sarah seems to be undergoing a symbolic death in the desert, just like de Vaca sort of did, and then there's the conversation between Sarah and the transgendered waitress/engineer (Eileen) where they both say they were "killed" by the machines in their previous lives. Best guess.

Okay, you had me going with that Cow's Head bit. I knew Cabeza was head but I blanked on Vaca. I love the tie-in with Weaver's example though, I never thought of that. I typed the whole voice-over up to submit as a quote, but it never seemed to make sense so I chickened out. But the show's too sharp for it not to mean something. Cabeza got captured (like Sarah might have been at the end), and sort of conquered from within. But, are we supposed to believe that Sarah stays with the Terminators now? The previews didn't look like that. Thanks for commenting, and thanks for making my 100th post more than a rant or a dumb question. By the way, nice cat .,.

foxmccloud13

[30]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 13
    DuoMaxwell007 wrote:
    excuse me but who the heck dies from a gunshot to the leg?
    Legs contain huge arteries. Sarah was shot lower down by he knee, I think, but if it had been higher up in her thigh area she would have been dead from blood loss very quick. But they can't kill the character who the show is named after so...

CjTl2005

[31]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 11

Website has another new look. It's OK. I still like the way it looked two years ago when I first signed up. This new look didn't get rid of the heart when you rate a show really high. It just doesn't work for me. How can I associate a pink heart with liking 24?

On to the topic at hand. This was probably my least favorite episode so far. I like cliffhanger endings, but this one was wierd. Too many dangling storylines. It's one of those episodes I didn't like sitting through, but will probably appreciate more in the long run.

DBizTV

[32]Dec 16, 2008
    CjTl2005 wrote:

Website has another new look. It's OK. I still like the way it looked two years ago when I first signed up. This new look didn't get rid of the heart when you rate a show really high. It just doesn't work for me. How can I associate a pink heart with liking 24?

On to the topic at hand. This was probably my least favorite episode so far. I like cliffhanger endings, but this one was wierd. Too many dangling storylines. It's one of those episodes I didn't like sitting through, but will probably appreciate more in the long run.

I don't know what it has to do with Terminator, but I couldn't agree with you more about liking the look of the old site better. It was warmer and friendlier than this antiseptic modern art design. I wish I had some screenshots of the old look, just to remember it by.

Anyway, the show was indeed a slow burn, but I like what you said about appreciating it more in time. It was a wimpy way to end before the long break, but it opened a lot of very interesting doors.

oz_island

[33]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    Nethicus wrote:

OK, here's my take on the episode. I think a lot of us are going to currently say, "Hey, that episode was crap!" (some of you already are!), but ultimately, I think this is going to be one of the more important episodes of the series as far as information conveyed.

I agree with this statement...I think that as a stand alone episode it was pretty poor, but I think that by the end of the season it will likely turn out to be one of the most important episodes. We'll see something in episodes later on that will make parts of this episode make sense (especially the Sarah stuff)

oldsage

[34]Dec 16, 2008

I agree that I think there was a lot of important information in this episode, even though I would not rate it as one of the most entertaining of the series.

I still don't understand how Riley went from being a traumatized, near-feral future-refugee to the manipulative, savvy girl we have come to know this season. It almost seems that Jesse found her and immediately placed her in the time machine.

On the other hand, I love the fact that we don't know if Sarah is hallucinating or actually experiencing the drone she sees at the end of the episode. The design of the machine looks very different than what we're used to in past Terminator lore, but it's entirely possible someone is either reverse-engineering technology from the future or simply developing tech that will eventually be used by SkyNet in the future.

Agent Ellison just can't be so stupid not to realize that by investigating these machines he's actually fulfilling the future he was told about. We'll see... but somehow I think that the Turk's Bible lessons are going to have the exact opposite effect than Ellison wants. They didn't call it "Judgement Day" for nothing.

netgoddess

[35]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 10

oldsage wrote:
    They didn't call it "Judgement Day" for nothing.

Good point...I didn't really stop to consider that concept. The machines may bring about an armegeddon based upon John Henry's biblical beliefs if they are taken too literally. Seems like "the cruisades" angle.

BiniBeans

[36]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 21
    Somehow everybody (excluding Cameron) seem to have lost the ability for logical reasoning.
    No excuse that I can see for Ellison not to go cry wolf to the Connors once confronted with John Henry. He knows the machines bring about Armageddon and still he believes he can make a difference by teaching it how God made all humans so it's wrong to kill them? Please! Missing the children he never had is no excuse. If he needs to connect to a child, volunteer somewhere.

Sarah? Going in alone? That's really really really beyond stupid and I don't care what reasoning they have, it still is out of character.

John, well, teenagers in love equals lack of logic I guess. Still annoying. And Riley? Calling her foster family whiners is a bit funny when she then proceeds to commit suicide. Anyway, the backstory on her was just what I expected and I still don't like her anymore than before. If she had a crisis of conscience or couldn't handle the pressure anymore then what would be easier then telling John about it but no. I might respect her more if this was just a fake suicide attempt aimed at drawing John closer to herself. But that's unlikely.

And Jessie, well stupid of her not to realize she needed to build up her puppet instead of breaking it.

So as I said, none of these people showed much common sense.
    I'm sure the episode was all relevant and important but it still left me more annoyed than intrigued.
    Edited on 12/17/2008 5:10am

ebony_kunoichi

[37]Dec 17, 2008

I really liked this episode, but then again I really like Sarah and Cameron focused eps.

I think Sarah was dreaming or seeing stuff at the end. I dont think it was real.

Reily is not dead, she cut herself, but I don't think there was enough time for her to die...unfortuntately. I did kinda feel sorry for her. Jessie is just horrible, but I kinda felt that Reily was wanted to be more than sisterly towards her. I think she has a crush on her.

I agree totally with the notion that Ellison will teach Skynet about religion and the machines will come to the conclusion that mankind is the ultimate evil and they are serving the will of God and that they too are God's creatures and deserve to be protecting the earth; not humanity. That would be awesome! Liquid terminator is not good in no way.

I cannot wait for the break to be over.

krussell47

[38]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 12
    I would have to agree that Jesse is definitely a *****. I think Sarah is getting closer to finally figuring out what the three dots are, but passing out from the gunshot wound outside that barn might not be good for her when she wakes up. I too was hoping to see Cameron really confront Riley about who she is, but that was to no avail. I can't wait for John does find out and what will happen from there. Overall, a so-so episode with a decent cliffhanger. Can't wait for the series return next month but I'm worried about its move to Friday because that usually signals a show is going to be canceled.

m00nshadow

[39]Dec 17, 2008

Did anyone else think it was weird that John Henry claimed to have taught itself to play chess? We know that Andy Goode's partner taught the Turk to play. Is he lying?

Also odd, John Henry also concluded that human life is important because the number alive today is so small compared to the number dead, but apparently, the best estimates of total humans who've ever lived range from 90-110 billion. So, about 6%, which doesn't seem small enough to warrant that conclusion.

Interestingly, it seems that Sarah has found the project that the Andy Goode whom Derek knew in the future "confessed" that he had worked on (in the episode where Derek first flashes back). Remember that (future) Andy also said he didn't know the real identities of anyone he was working with. Of course, Sarah has no way of knowing that. Derek never told her he knew Andy. When Derek told Jesse he'd changed the future, no doubt he was thinking about the Andy he murdered in the current time line.

Edited on 12/17/2008 2:31pm

CaptainHarkness

[40]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 23
    This isn't the episode I would have aired as the fall finale. I can't wait until it comes back, The Kyle Reese thing is going to be an interesting explanation.

ebony_kunoichi

[41]Dec 17, 2008

Moon shadow:

The number dead has totally out numbered the billions or so on the planet now. If you are talking about the dawn of civilization which is going back to BC years then yes there are more dead. Think of how many billions have died in wars in the past 500 years alone. It's out there on the internet somewhere, just too lazy to look up.