Official Discussion Thread - Earthlings Welcome Here (possible spoilers)

ebony_kunoichi

[41]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 13

Moon shadow:

The number dead has totally out numbered the billions or so on the planet now. If you are talking about the dawn of civilization which is going back to BC years then yes there are more dead. Think of how many billions have died in wars in the past 500 years alone. It's out there on the internet somewhere, just too lazy to look up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

m00nshadow

[42]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 20
    timing is everything. While you were posting your message, I was revising mine. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

DBizTV

[43]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 43
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Moon shadow:

The number dead has totally out numbered the billions or so on the planet now. If you are talking about the dawn of civilization which is going back to BC years then yes there are more dead. Think of how many billions have died in wars in the past 500 years alone. It's out there on the internet somewhere, just too lazy to look up.

Uh, not to be negative, but m00nshadow may have a point. A billion is a lot of people and it's generally accepted that the world didn't reach a population of one billion until about 1800 AD. According to Wiki (and there are many other sources available), the population of the entire world was only 200 million by year 1. Currently, world population is 'guestimated' to be rapidly approaching 7 Billion.

Unfortunately, not being a mathematician, I can't perform the calculations to prove the point one way or another, but it's close. Curious I am, so I'll check further when I can (unless someone else already knows and shares it). However, the scriptwriters may well have checked before putting it on the air. Oh, one last note, billions have not died in wars, only millions (if that's any comfort). Most of us die from disease, old age or boredom - whichever comes first .,.

Edit : So if Wiki is correct, the lowest estimate for the total of all of humanity which ever existed is 45 Billion; and I, unfortunately being alive at that time, fell for a since debunked '70's myth. I really don't like the sound of that. I always hated the '70's .,.

Edited on 12/17/2008 2:53pm

m00nshadow

[44]Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that really does date us, doesn't it? At least I wasn't imagining having heard that, so I'm not senile just yet!

Anyway, but this is still a curious thing for JH to conclude. No human would make that startling assertion. Assuming the writers had a reason for having him say that, other than filler, maybe it seems logical if you are a machine with no expiration date? We think in terms of dying being natural, but they don't.

Edited on 12/17/2008 3:14pm
    Edited 2 total times.

DBizTV

[45]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 43

oldsage wrote:

... somehow I think that the Turk's Bible lessons are going to have the exact opposite effect than Ellison wants. They didn't call it "Judgment Day" for nothing.

If the show survives, perhaps we'll know, but I'm with oldsage, netgoddess and ebony : all this bible study could be our doom ...

netgoddess wrote:

The machines may bring about an Armageddon based upon John Henry's biblical beliefs if they are taken too literally. Seems like "the crusades" angle.

The emotionless reasoning of a machine, as evidenced by Cromartie/John Henry's strange actuarial response to death which m00nshadow mentioned, could be the final bloody nail which brings about our day of Judgment (as in Hitler's final solution). Yes, we may think in terms of dying, but the machines may begin to think in terms of killing ...

ebony_kunoichi wrote:

... Ellison will teach Skynet about religion and the machines will come to the conclusion that mankind is the ultimate evil and that they are serving the will of God, that they too are God's creatures and deserve to be protecting the earth, not humanity ...

Sounds like a horror show to me, bring it on ...

m00nshadow

[46]Dec 17, 2008
    This discussion reminds me of a David Brin novel where 90% of the human race was wiped out. And also of a news item I read recently about a new bible edition in which all the parts about the earth and stewardship of it are printed in green.
    I'm wondering about Jesse's agenda, after she made that speech about the history of rabbits in Australia, apparently without irony. People did to the invasive species of rabbits all the things exterminators do to humans to try to get rid of them. She's not working with the machines directly, I don't think, but does she agree with them that humans are not such a good experiment?

CjTl2005

[47]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    DBizTV wrote:
    CjTl2005 wrote:

Website has another new look. It's OK. I still like the way it looked two years ago when I first signed up. This new look didn't get rid of the heart when you rate a show really high. It just doesn't work for me. How can I associate a pink heart with liking 24?

On to the topic at hand. This was probably my least favorite episode so far. I like cliffhanger endings, but this one was wierd. Too many dangling storylines. It's one of those episodes I didn't like sitting through, but will probably appreciate more in the long run.

I don't know what it has to do with Terminator, but I couldn't agree with you more about liking the look of the old site better. It was warmer and friendlier than this antiseptic modern art design. I wish I had some screenshots of the old look, just to remember it by.

Anyway, the show was indeed a slow burn, but I like what you said about appreciating it more in time. It was a wimpy way to end before the long break, but it opened a lot of very interesting doors.

Another tangent: There is one way to see the old layout. I stumbled upon it the other day and didn't think to take a screenshot. Log out, and then try to log back in with the wrong password. That error screen still has the old dark blue TV.com logo. It was a breath of fresh air. Then I went back to being annoyed that I didn't save the right password.

Back to the episode. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made to sort of "reboot" a show. I think this episode did that for T:SCC. I hadn't read every post on this thread when I wrote my original post, but I was kind of surprised to see similar opinions to mine. The episode on it's own was less than, but it set the stage for more interesting moments later on.

Not sure about Riley/Jesse. I don't think I like what they're trying to accomplish. I guess they're just there for the tension. I did like Jesse's musings about rabbits in the previous episode, but I thought she was a little too much like that rookie manager we all know and love. They take themselves a little too seriously and think they have to squash everyone in their path and do everything themselves to be successful rather than delegate and facilitate.

Sarah gets the Darwin award.

Kiwi18

[48]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    didn't watch it

olavaudun

[49]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    I think there is wery many good things, but the main page was bether before the last change 2-3 month ago. :-D

JanieDoe

[50]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    confused the heck out of me

Shagrathian

[51]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    like it

Carlitoss

[52]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    Yes.

blank_slate0410

[53]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 11
    Good one. Can't wait for the February premiere

amr_01

[54]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    It was good for a filler, didn't really move the story anywhere though.

ninjaman42

[55]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 16
    could have used more Cameron

s01id_sn4ke

[56]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    created mystery ... solved none.

tvchika

[57]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    hes hot but this looks dumb

tvchika

[58]Dec 18, 2008
    oogabooga

CourtneyGears

[59]Dec 18, 2008
    More Cameron!

tmw33

[60]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    seemed an odd choice for a mid season ender...