Official Discussion Thread - Ourselves Alone (possible spoilers)

lowriderz95s10

[1]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 67
    Please direct all discussion for "Ourselves Alone" here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Auriken

[2]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 9

What kind of programming did future John give Cameron? The only person in the world she thinks of or cares about is him, even going so far as to planting a bomb in her own head as a safety precaution. After all the damage Cameron has suffered, you'd think her programming to be so dedicated to John would have taken a hit as well. I'm starting to wonder if she's now supporting John by her own free will and not by her programming.

I've also noticed that John is really the only one she shows any "emotion" to. Sure, when she's out in public she needs to act a certain way, but when she's just with John she shouldn't need to worry about it. It also makes me wonder if the smiles she aims toward John are part of her programming telling her that is the right time to smile, or if she's smiling because she wants to.

Anyway, I loved that final scene between John and Cameron. He seemed truely pained by the thought of killing her, as if she's the biggest piece holding him together. Whoever does Summer's makeup, keep it up. She looked very beautiful in that last scene.

sNaKeBiTe688

[3]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 3

WOW!

This episode was awesome! I loved it from the very beginning where Cameron talks to the bird. It really gives some insight in how she is changing. And then there is the scene where she repairs her arm - my god that was creepy. I wonder how they did it, because it was her real hand that was moving. Anyways, this whole repair thing together with John really added some depth to their relationship. There was definitely some tension between the two, especially on Cameron's side.

Obviously, the bigger plot in this episode was Riley. I loved how Sarah didn't believe John but still didn't take any action (She thought about it when she cocked her gun, but then discards her thought). Everyone, except John (Who surely thought about it), wanted to kill Riley and then -boom- it finally happened. I knew that it would happen, but it still kinda took me by surprise, because in the fight between her and Jesse, it looked like she would win and I was actually rooting for her. This surprised me even more, because I used to HATE her! But if you look back now, you see that she had quite a miserable life, being used by Jesse.

Well and then there is the last scene, where Cameron gives John the kill-swich... I was sitting up in my bed during the whole episode, but in this scene I found myself actually moving closer to the TV. Not so much because I was surprised, but because I fear that this device might really be used in the season finale. And I'm 90% sure about that... This was such a powerful scene. The dialog was just perfect. Especially the reference to future-John. I hope FOX gives it a third season...

Another point I would like to add: The acting. It was outstanding in this episode. Leven Rambin (Riley) and Summer Glau (Cameron) in particular. They both were so convincing.

Overall, I would give this episode a 9.6 out of 10.

gmx13

[4]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    Great episode. It's nice to see them finally move the story arc forward. The last couple episodes were pretty much season filler.

Cameron is definitely a different terminator. You can see it in her eyes that she is holding back either vital information or her true emotions because she knows that the present is still devoloping into the future John that she knew.

kidkiffin

[5]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 5

WOW Finally we are back to the SCC we love,

we got plot movement and so many subtle scenes that makes u rewind them to see what u missed. it was great. near perfect.

too bad about riley though

fatmouse0

[6]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    Good episode for once, about 5 months too late.

HolyPenguin

[7]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 12
    It was indeed a great episode. When the Riley-Jesse fight began, I thought Jesse will die. Riley is a main character and Jesse isn't. Seems weird that Jesse lasts longer. Oh and finally Sarah and Jesse met - it's about time. Now I'm looking for the meeting with weaver.

Stitllams

[8]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 6
    Not sure what to say about that episode, how much does each person know about the others around them, I like it.

hakkersszz

[9]Mar 7, 2009

Thank TV-God, finally a good episode again!
    I LOVED it. And on top of all, Riley is dead! Time to celebrate!
    I never liked that character.

I'm also wondering how it's going to work out with Cameron now that she gives John permission to push her buttons.

A cap from the most dramatic moment in the episode: (the switch part)

Edited on 03/07/2009 5:00am

sNaKeBiTe688

[10]Mar 7, 2009
    Auriken wrote:

What kind of programming did future John give Cameron? The only person in the world she thinks of or cares about is him, even going so far as to planting a bomb in her own head as a safety precaution. After all the damage Cameron has suffered, you'd think her programming to be so dedicated to John would have taken a hit as well. I'm starting to wonder if she's now supporting John by her own free will and not by her programming.

I've also noticed that John is really the only one she shows any "emotion" to. Sure, when she's out in public she needs to act a certain way, but when she's just with John she shouldn't need to worry about it. It also makes me wonder if the smiles she aims toward John are part of her programming telling her that is the right time to smile, or if she's smiling because she wants to.

The way I see it, Cameron is evolving and kinda rewriting her own code. This also causes these glitches. In this episode Cameron indicated that it gets worse. Therefore it can't be something on the "hardware" - which John tried to fix two times. It must be the software, her programming. Because she learns from humans and rewrites her code accordingly I am pretty sure that she has something like a (limited) free will. Her original purpose was to defend John, but now she goes one step further. She cares about him (she wanted to make him a sandwich) and what he thinks about her (she didn't want to kill that bird, because John taught her that every life is worth saving and that he despises killing someone if there isn't a good reason). This could also be the reason why she made that kill-switch for John. But I'm just guessing...

As for the emotions towards John... I don't know. There is definitely something between them, but it could just be the fact that John is the only one who cares about her. I mean Sarah and Derek sure wouldn't mind if she died. Cameron knows that and therefore might not be as "friendly" towards them.

imjessietr30

[11]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 5
    This was a great episode. I, too, despised Riley, but I actually found myself rooting for her, because Jesse totally did her wrong.

super_ps2player

[12]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    ...a great episode finally!, a lotta folks dont like riley, buy she got picked on the entire episode lol!!!! well now that they killed riley off, next up is jesse!

jjrrffkk

[13]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 2

This episode has some very interesting things in it. All foreshadowings. The Australian-accented Jesse is going to buy it by the season finale. (Her disruptive actions will prove to be her undoing. And I think that if Cameron sees her, she will remember--via her database in her head from the future--who Jesse is, and what the after-effects of Jesse's actions are.) I think her alternate-universe boyfriend Derek will too. (Remember several episodes back where Derek was discussing with Jesse that certain events never happened to him, that his girlfriend was saying actually had? Alternate universes they may have come from--it's sounds reasonable.) He may help facilitate some evolution of realization of what is going on for Sarah. But the failed effort to stop an attorney connected with the precursors to Skynet technology will raise his suspicions about Jesse, and what her role is. (I think the next two episodes--a two-part story arc--will explain I think Jesse's motivations, and how she may be dangerous to John and his effort to coalesce the resistance against Skynet and the Terminators in the future.)

I also think that the Sarah Connor Chronicles will be going into a third season. Here's why I think that.

On the wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(franchise), it mentions the following:"Executive producer James Middleton confirmed in Variety that the series will contain a link to Terminator 4." I don't think that they would be doing linkages with an upcoming film blockbuster with a plan-to-be-cancelled TV show. And that link in the storyline is not yet in hand. But I suspect it will be very soon.

As for Cameron, she is not going to buy it by the season finale. Sheer fear of a large part of the fan base abandoning the series is prime on the producers' minds. Sarah, John, and Cameron are the fulcrum points of this show. They remove any one, and the "planet" will fall off of its moorings. They will not dare to do that. And furthermore, continuing this vein of logic, just remember that the "Terminator: Salvation" is just one of three planned sequels to James Cameron's 1992 film. To keep the fan base, they will continue this TV series. It is well written, as far as I am concerned. And well acted too. All the characters are quite good.

Another way to say it, it's kind of like "Prison Break"--that jumped the shark after the third season. All the characters had escaped on the boat. Storyline complete. In juxtaposition, the Sarah Connor Chronicles is very far from completion in any of its major threads, as far as I am concerned.

winterbehaviour

[14]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 22
    Wow I'm so glad that the general concenus on here is that this episode brought the show right back up to form because that's certainly what I thought! I reviewed the ep and rated it 9.1

^^Thanks for the info on the Salvation link it makes sense if you look at the latest trailer for Salvation it shows John Connor talking to a captured Terminator that actually believes it is human which links back to the whole Cameron mythos on TSCC.

ilee1990

[15]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 10

I'm very sispicious of Jesse. Remember her exact words to Derek in this episode: I'm here to win the war--not stop it.

Why does that sound like she is on the wrong side of the battle line to me?

hakkersszz

[16]Mar 7, 2009
    ilee1990 wrote:

I'm very sispicious of Jesse. Remember her exact words to Derek in this episode: I'm here to win the war--not stop it.

Why does that sound like she is on the wrong side of the battle line to me?

Wow, I did not even think about it that way.

BiniBeans

[17]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 21
    Yes, Riley is gone and even manages to keep Jesse from going out to help Derek which with any luck gets hime to put some distance between them as well.
    Cameron handing Jogn the trigger mechanism to be able to kill her when she ever reverts to her original programming? Wow. And from what she is saying she is starting to evolve away from black and white answers. Kind of what the other terminator woman is trying to teach John Henry.

Anyway, loved the episode and can't wait for next week. Maybe we can get rid of Jesse now?

sin2ast

[18]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 7
    Oh, I love the episode. I think that there is yet more to come and I don't think that previous episodes were bad or season-fillers - it all seems very logical to me. Because every episode can't be this action-filled climax - you need time to build up the story line and to explain the background a bit. I absolutely love Sarah Connor Chronicles and I hope that they get renewed for third season

jjrrffkk

[19]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 2

Here, Let me propose a super outrageous theory....

This is the theory...

Cameron gave John this "blow up switch" device that is allegedly to something she claims she has put into her skull.... (this should set off alarm bells--how can she see inside her own head to place the mini-explosive? She can't... And two: How do we know that it won't accidentally set itself off under the right conditions--such as a huge fight with another terminator, when Cameron sustains blows to her head? Hmmmm....)

But what if that isn't true? What if Cameron has given him a bogus "kill switch" for herself? Have you EVER heard in the Terminator canon a Terminator saying it couldn't self terminate? Ahnold did that in T2....he rode the chains down into the vat of molten steel....voluntarily. No Terminator up to this point ever willingly let anyone else destroy them, where they just gave up and said, "OK, you have control over my ability to exist"...."go ahead, blow me up"....."shred me"...."beat me beat me...make me write bad checks"..... (homage to an old rock-and-roll song from the 1980s....I heard it sometime last month on the radio)...LOL

But seriously.....

I don't think so.

Termionators are ALL programmed to kill, and to avoid being killed. But if the fulfillment of the "mission" is achieved, they go on to secondary objectives....or if they fail in the prime mission, they go on to secondary objectives....that's consistent in the Terminator canon. (Mission is ALL: in the first Terminator film, the cyborg kept coming, despite being severely damaged....it kept coming after Sarah. Only the squishing it in the press stopped it.)

And I think that Cameron is no different. Her "primary objective" (as far as we know) is to preserve, protect and defend John Connor. And that includes John from himself. She would not--according to my theory--allow anyone (including John) to prevent her from her mission.

It didn't ring true... and I think that Cameron may have offered this "kill switch" to give John a basis to believe her from now on when she tells him things... the use of psychological manipulation.....very brilliantly done, I might add (from my perspective).

puckoon

[20]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 1
    jjrrffkk wrote:

Have you EVER heard in the Terminator canon a Terminator saying it couldn't self terminate? Ahnold did that in T2....he rode the chains down into the vat of molten steel....voluntarily. No Terminator up to this point ever willingly let anyone else destroy them, where they just gave up and said, "OK, you have control over my ability to exist"...."go ahead, blow me up"....."shred me"...."beat me beat me...make me write bad checks"..... (homage to an old rock-and-roll song from the 1980s....I heard it sometime last month on the radio)...LOL

At the end of T2 Arnie tells john that he has to press the button to lower him into the molten steel because he is unable to self terminate. Although it's a good point about the explosive being accidentally detonated from a blow to the head in a fight, it seems a little risky of her....