Official Discussion Thread - Ourselves Alone (possible spoilers)

m00nshadow

[61]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 20
    DBiz: I'm thinking that Jesse held back in that fight because she didn't want to kill Riley. Probably she could have in a few seconds, but hoped it wouldn't come to that. But Riley went into a homicidal frenzy, beyond further reason, so Jesse had to kill her. Also, or alternatively, Jesse needed to make it look like Cameron did it; hence the efficient gunshot. But I do agree that they needed to up the action, which will presumably come in "part 2". Sigh.

Concerning the bird, snakebite, the pigeon we "saw" her kill didn't look damaged after she dropped it, either. And then, in the next episode, there's a scene that suggests she didn't even kill the pigeon. We can discuss possible implications of that on the next thread, though, so as not to get into spoilers.

Imjessie, I haven't seen the third movie, but I'm not sure Cameron "wanted" to kill Riley. She was conflicted, but from her need to protect John. She wants to protect him from the threat posed by Riley, and also from the grief of seeing Riley dead. But, maybe. I hadn't thought of that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DBizTV

[62]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 43

m00nshadow wrote:
    DBiz: I'm thinking that Jesse held back in that fight because she didn't want to kill Riley. Probably she could have in a few seconds, but hoped it wouldn't come to that. But Riley went into a homicidal frenzy, beyond further reason, so Jesse had to kill her. Also, or alternatively, Jesse needed to make it look like Cameron did it; hence the efficient gunshot. But I do agree that they needed to up the action, which will presumably come in "part 2". Sigh.
    With all respect, m00n, I know you love the show, but your logic is a bit too tortured for me to accept. 1) Riley was hardly homicidal. She was frightened, depressed and sobbing throughout most of the "fight". She was helpless and "captured" from the moment Jesse threw a vase at her, she never took the offense with some frenzied attack, which is what a "homicidal frenzy" entails.

2) Jesse never mounted any brilliant offensive attack either. She also never showed any trained subduing ability, nor even attempted any such moves. All soldiers are trained in attack, defensive and especially subduing techniques - none were employed by Jessie. Not one classic, basic fighting technique. It was like watching a bad kung fu movie, without the kung fu. One of the most elementary subduing maneuvers is using a choke hold to restrict your opponent's air flow, making them pass out. It requires leverage and position more than great strength (although upper body strength is a big advantage), which is why it is basic training for all soldiers, especially women. Jessie was in prime position when she was holding Riley from behind with a shard of broken glass at her throat. Why no attempt to subdue if this was her intent? Could it be that the writers don't have a clue, or do they just like boring, artless "catfights"? You want to see real women fight, check out Battlestar Galactica, those women are trained to kick ass and it's believable (as in : the acting talent, the writers and the directors have been "taught" how to stage a fight).

3) Jessie "didn't want to kill Riley"? What was Jesse going to do, send Riley to summer camp? The whole fight happened because Riley finally realized that she was merely cannon fodder, a sacrificial lamb. When cannon fodder wake up, they don't want to go back out to be blown to bits. Was Riley going to just get slapped around and then willingly go off and let Cameron kill her? Jesse's ass was on the line now, she couldn't let Riley live. Wouldn't Riley run right to John Connor and tell him everything? It had to be Plan B : if she couldn't get the "cyborg" to do it, she had to kill Riley herself and try to "pin" it on Cameron. And she was inept in doing so, which was my only point. The writers didn't think it through, the producers didn't hire talent to script the fight properly and "train up" the actresses involved, and the director had his head in a bag. And this was the BIG action scene! Again, you want to see real women fight, check out Battlestar Galactica.

These people, the "creative" team, have taken a first-rate premise, which got off to a fantastic start with a great group of talented actors and actresses, and run it into a ditch by abandoning the franchise's core attraction : Terminators! Cameron has been relegated to playing Hamlet, Cromartie has been replaced by John Henry, who sits around playing hide and seek, and Weaver is content to be buried in paperwork. Where are all the other killer cyborgs who could pump up the action : has Skynet run out of them? It is despicable what these clowns have done to this franchise. Maybe somebody should actually make then sit down and watch all three Terminator movies, perhaps they would get some ideas, or at least a fracking clue.

Oh, the new ratings say that this weeks show went up from 1/4 to 1.2/4 (ratings/share). Anything below a 2/5 is usually on the chopping block. So unless this is the start of a huge rally, we TSCC fans are in that damn ditch too.

m00nshadow

[63]Mar 15, 2009
    Sheesh. Consider me subdued.

DBizTV

[64]Mar 15, 2009
    • level: 43

m00nshadow wrote:

Sorry (very droll ). I wasn't aimin' to subdue any solid, true fans like you, m00n, not ever. I's only expressin' my real frustrations at the threatenin' clouds of Cancellation.

m00nshadow

[65]Mar 16, 2009
    DBizTV wrote:

m00nshadow wrote:

Sorry (very droll ). I wasn't aimin' to subdue any solid, true fans like you, m00n, not ever. I's only expressin' my real frustrations at the threatenin' clouds of Cancellation.

I know. It's true that wasn't much of a fight scene, but they must have had their reasons, don't you think? It's not like the Cameron fights aren't well choreographed.