Official Discussion Thread - Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep (spoilers)

henryjb99

[21]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 2
    Did anyone else notice that when Sarah is driving in the beginning of the episode, all cars are on the left side of the road?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heyvid21

[22]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    Didnt really enjoy the episode that much.. I knew from the beginning the van was real and the clinic was the dream. It was a bit obvious with the coyote appearing in the form of the tattoo.

The sad thing is, i like the clinic storyline better. I like Cameron and John being close and slightly flirtatious. I like terminators being the bad guys. Im just sick of all this crap about Sarah lately... get back to John and Cameron.

maxtmd

[23]Mar 1, 2009

well, for one thing the show is called The SARAH CONNOR chronicles, & after reading up at a few sites the show's primary focus does seem to be on sarah connor, ie it aims to deal with & represent what it would be like to be 'the mother of John Connor'...so i do expect alot of character depth & a good look in2 e mind of sarah...which is why lena headey was even chosen 4 e role in e 1st place, shes not really muscular or linda hamilton-ish but its the darkness of the character that she portrays so well, that darkness which makes this series so profound in the 1st place i feel, with the philosophy in the voice-overs n stuff...science fiction & timeless philosophy, when pulled off well is really breath-taking...

anw bk 2 this episode...to me this episode earned it man...it was brilliant...deeply psychological with a decent plot outline and an awesome ending...good tv! about e earlier question on weavers interest in e child, i think her interest is in the mother-child relationship n vice versa & eventually on the human need & psychological-emotional basis for relationships...i was wondering if any1 else has picked up on this...there seems to be a very interesting direction developing, both from the terminator movies & tscc...y is it that weaver & cameron are so adamant on "humanising" themselves, or at least learning what it is to be human?? i remember an episode when weaver tells ellison that nobody likes war or something to that effect, & cameron has been picking up human traits, analysing them & adopting them from time 2 time & also from T2 where a machine is used 2 protect a human (kinda like their current use, but humans dont enslave them like b4) & T3 the movie as well(although it apparently has nothing 2 do with this series but still noteworthy i feel): the revelation that judgment day is INEVITABLE...what strikes out 2 me is that maybe e end-game is peaceful co-existence of both humans & machines without 1 being master or slave 2 e other? i dunno it just suddenly occured 2 me, cos i watched all 3 terminator movies n then this latest episode today, so definitely clouded judgment but it did ruffle my feathers for quite a bit that thought...what do u guys think?? quite a number of sci-fi stories in our time have come 2 this end...watched e terminator salvation trailers as well...im jus speculating but that would be some ending i guess a' la The Matrix trilogy...

on a more alarming note, read an earlier post that this series is gonna be canned at e end of season2...if that were 2 happen, my faith in tv would really be gone...like forever...ive followed 2 many awesome shows n watched them get canned jus cos theyre not dumb like desperate housewives or some sh*t...highly disappointing...n capitalism n liberalism was supposed 2 be good for the consumer...variety, choice, freedom?? YEAH RIGHT!

suprememango

[24]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    I'll admit it. they tricked me. when I started watching the episode I was like "if this van thing is a dream why are they spending so much time on it and why should I care?". But I also had a theory it was some kind of suppressed memory, especially due to the detail her captor was giving her. Not a bad episode. But seriously, enough about sarah and her semi-psychotic self. Let's have more Cameron and probably a little dereck and his hot Australian chica. I just want to see Cameron whop some Terminator behind. Is that so wrong? Hopefully the end of the season will have lots of cool action.

haldrey

[25]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 22
    Only the last part of the episode saved it. It was easy to see that the clinic storyline was a dream and that the real part was in the van, but why do they have to drag it for so long. Most of the time I myself was fighting from falling asleep. Hey this is an action show not a soap opera.

-Hansel-

[26]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    Just terrible This show is begging to be put out of its misery. It's almost like the writers are doing it on purpose to get the show cancelled (which, let's face it, is inevitable). After this (the latest in a long line of poorly written, boring episodes), I'm tuning out. This is a Teminator TV show for god sake, how have they managed to make it so utterly terrible?

noway746

[27]Mar 1, 2009

I think the very end of this episode saved it. I didn't like the different style in which this episode was written, and i also agree with the comments many people have made that Cameron needs to come back into the spotlight... or what about Reese? didn't see him much this episode... maybe cause he wasn't in it.....

But over all i thought the episode was good.... below average for the show, but a below average episode of T:SCC in my book is still pretty good....

really hoping for Elison and Weaver's storyline to progress, and perhaps this episode helped that come about.

Also hoping for Cameron's character to continue developing....

jjrrffkk

[28]Mar 1, 2009
    My theory about the show getting canned...on the regular wikipedia entry (Just type in "Terminator TV show" on Yahoo or Google--it should be among the top three URL link entries after you do that), you can see all the places it is being broadcast outside of the United States...excepting Hungary, where it was cancelled after four episodes were shown, it looks like it is picking up steam in the international arena. Fox never kills a golden goose that is laying a continuing stream of good golden eggs....

Also consider that "Terminator: Salvation" the film is coming out in just several months time...(There is to be a teaser trailer for "Salvation" shown on Entertainment Tonight in the US on this very next Monday evening)....Fox would love such a film/TV program tie-in to promote "The Sarah Connor Chronicles"....they might even do something which ties in with an extended trailer when "Salvation" actually is much closer to release.

I don't think that Fox is going to cancel this show.

BUT....

To hedge my bets, on the fox wiki for the show, someone posted the e-mails to both fox and warner brothers (I guess one of the shows' producers) to ask them to continue the program....so I sent both places an "e" and asked them to bring on a "Season 3"....

pipapun

[29]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 3
    All in all the series is loosing the grip. They should stop playing mind games and begin showing some relavant serious action.

hakkersszz

[30]Mar 2, 2009
    KCW1985 wrote:

hakkersszz: THANK YOU!

No problem I've just PM'ed this to someone as well, and I thought I'd post it here too:

The first season was more about all the characters, not just focussed on one. Just way to much Sarah stuff lately.
    Also I found the series lacking action. No more big fights, Terminator V.S. Terminator.

To bad. But there is still time to fix that.

m00nshadow

[31]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 20
    I was clued in to the clinic's being the dream early on. Who wears karate uniforms in a sleep clinic? (My husband can testify for me that this is just what I said a few minutes into the first clinic scene.) Here's a third possibility: both are fake. No, I don't actually think that. Sarah thought she killed her first man before, but it would've been pure self-defense then. This time is was 100% for real. She had time to decide to kill him. So it's a real milestone for her. Otherwise, see my review for my reaction.

BAGTbird

[32]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 10
    henryjb99 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that when Sarah is driving in the beginning of the episode, all cars are on the left side of the road?
    Isn't that one of the things they say about dreams (at least in TV/movies)? That directions are reversed. Or is it just text? You can't read because that part of your brain isn't active. Maybe I'm not remembering this the right way. I don't know if it has basis in reality or is just some made-up psychobabble that sounds good on screen.

DBizTV

[33]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 43

If you look back at some of the things Jesse said earlier as to why she's here, Cameron's Terminator may have become John's main (only) squeeze in the future. It makes sense. He would not have to protect her, and she could be protecting him at his most "vulnerable" moments. And Cameron has indicated several times, in direct comments, that she does indeed have emotions. As Sahlinrob indicated, they're not toasters, people, not Cameron or her generation anyway.

Unfortunately, although it was a GREAT three seconds, three seconds of Summer in her underwear won't save the show. They are burying their best "asset", and although these slow burners all have their moments, the ratings still say die.

Edited on 03/03/2009 2:02pm

moatilliatta85

[34]Mar 3, 2009
    This was a really confusing episode. I still dunno if the sleep clinic stuff was part of memories she was living again in her dreams while in the van. Very confusing and open-ended. This would have been a fine episode if we had had a few action eps recently but we haven't. We've only had slow-burners for a long time now. I think the previous episode could've easily been cut down to 10 mins or so and fit into this episode, leaving out the interaction with that Dana chick (which was completely unnecessary).
    I don't understand why it seems like the writers are reeeeally stretching these last few episodes instead of giving us all good ones since it's almost done and over with. Perhaps the fact that their budget was reduced after this season started has to do with the fact they've cut out the action after the first few eps.

CjTl2005

[35]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 11
    BAGTbird wrote:
    henryjb99 wrote:
    Isn't that one of the things they say about dreams (at least in TV/movies)? That directions are reversed. Or is it just text? You can't read because that part of your brain isn't active. Maybe I'm not remembering this the right way. I don't know if it has basis in reality or is just some made-up psychobabble that sounds good on screen.

They do this all the time and I don't know why. Photographers will reverse their image because of some preference they have. If you look closely you'll catch stuff like that. It's a matter of how the image "flows". They don't like what it looks like from the original orientation, but for some reason they prefer to flip the negative.
    Not saying that's really what happened, but I do see that alot in photographs. Why not in a TV show?

danharr

[36]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 45
    Good episode now we know why Sara was so freaked out she's used to killing machines only. Loved the back and forth I have to admit I thought the van was the dream but it was fun finding out otherwise. I don't know why so many people want to make Sara raped but whatever floats you guys boats and John checking out Cameron who was walking around in her underwear very interesting. Can't forget Weaver really like how one week she's wacking people left and right and the next we see her trying to be more human for adaptations sake really like the contrast they put with her character.

Sahlinrob

[37]Mar 3, 2009

it was a GREAT three seconds, three seconds of Summer in her underwear

Ya..that was OK, but go get the 1st season dvd set and watch her practicing a ballet routine. It has a clip of that thats about 1 min long in the special features on the second (I think) disk. Its almost totally "hypnotic"..I swear I could watch it over and over for hours if I'd let myself do it.

m00nshadow

[38]Mar 3, 2009
    danharr wrote:
    Good episode now we know why Sara was so freaked out she's used to killing machines only.

We've known that since Derek took John for ice cream in the last season finale. He asked John if Sarah had ever killed anyone, and John told him no.

m00nshadow

[39]Mar 3, 2009
    DBizTV wrote:

If you look back at some of the things Jesse said earlier as to why she's here, Cameron's Terminator may have become John's main (only) squeeze in the future. It makes sense. He would not have to protect her, and she could be protecting him at his most "vulnerable" moments. And Cameron has indicated several times, in direct comments, that she does indeed have emotions. As Sahlinrob indicated, they're not toasters, people, not Cameron or her generation anyway.

Cameron has many private moments of self-satisfaction in Season 1. My favorite was when she terrorized the guy in Heavy Metal just by looking at him while he's driving the truck. Another notable one is in Automatic for the People, when she is counting her pool winnings. In Self-Made Man, she seems to be genuinely trying to figure out how to befriend the librarian, and her actions are those of a friend, but her ... execution (no pun intended) is off. MORE CAMERON!!!

Sahlinrob

[40]Mar 3, 2009
    m00nshadow wrote:
    DBizTV wrote:

Cameron has many private moments of self-satisfaction in Season 1. My favorite was when she terrorized the guy in Heavy Metal just by looking at him while he's driving the truck. Another notable one is in Automatic for the People, when she is counting her pool winnings. In Self-Made Man, she seems to be genuinely trying to figure out how to befriend the librarian, and her actions are those of a friend, but her ... execution (no pun intended) is off. MORE CAMERON!!!

Also, on Self-Made Man, the librarian asked her if her brother was still seeing "That crazy blond" indicating they had talked about this before, showing a need to have someone just to talk to about things that were bothering her. She also shared the fact that as a result of the "crazy blond" they got broken it to and robed. Divulging this much information you would think be something that she may not approve of being the security "Nazi" she normally is. This indicates that along with having human emotions and feelings she also has the human "weaknesses" that they can bring about. When asked if they got their stuff back she said, with a little smile, " It all worked out" with a flash back of her "executing" the thieves. This brings up another point. Cameron seems to have quite an extensive wardrobe as you hardly ever see her in the same outfit. One that I think she is very proud of and is precious to her. The first words out of her mouth in the bowling ally were "give me back my jacket", and while I don't think she ever had any intention to let them live, it's when the guy got "smart" with her that she pulled her gun and repeated her "request" in a much more "forceful" manor.....she was flat pissed off and wanted her jacket back....very emotional.