OK bear with me on this... A theory (spoiler)

DarenWheeler

[1]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 7

Has anyone noticed that during the whole Terminator series we've never seen John in the future?

Now John has arrived in the future and no one recognises him, he's either in an alternative timeline or....

He's not the leader... John Henry is and it's only on his arrival in the future that he becomes the hero?

That the Rise Of The Machines timeline is up the spout now, but it just seems odd that no one recognises him if the ROTM timeline is right..

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fallenepitaph

[2]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 13
    they dont know him cos he jumped through time, nothing else. (which is silly.)

meateater79

[3]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 7
    DarenWheeler wrote:

Has anyone noticed that during the whole Terminator series we've never seen John in the future?

Now John has arrived in the future and no one recognises him, he's either in an alternative timeline or....

He's not the leader... John Henry is and it's only on his arrival in the future that he becomes the hero?

That the Rise Of The Machines timeline is up the spout now, but it just seems odd that no one recognises him if the ROTM timeline is right..

That makes a lot of sense, and seems very possible logically. That being said... Damn you for implanting that idea in my head. It would be a blow to my personal view of the franchise.

brdonnelly

[4]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 4
    As far as this series is concerned, forget about Rise of the Machines. Its events were circumnavigated in the pilot (and I approve of that entirely), picking up just before it. So while the cancer was referred to, its causes had already been set in motion by the time of Rise of the Machines, so they'd still apply in this series. On the other hand, the events that took place according to Rise of the Machines never actually happened, thanks to Sarah and John jumping forward in time and evading the events that took place in what was the Present in Rise of the Machines. Now considering that John and Sarah's time travel meant that they were not present during the intervening years, that would mean the same thing for John IF he doesn't return from the future. If he remains in the time where we last saw him then everything that would have happened and involved him between him leaving the present and arriving in the future will have been wiped out. So there wouldn't be any future John as John would have disappeared off the face of the Earth and no-one would have known that he was going to appear at any later time. So without there being a John living in the present, growing up and becoming the future John we expect (but have yet to see) then that future John wouldn't exist in that time.

So John won't have become famous and his name wouldn't be known. The resistance would have started without him. But since he's John Connor, I suspect he will be needed to finish the job.

Falcondude123

[5]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 10
    meateater79 wrote:
    DarenWheeler wrote:

That makes a lot of sense, and seems very possible logically. That being said... Damn you for implanting that idea in my head. It would be a blow to my personal view of the franchise.

The ROTM timeline was completely ignored for the series, buddy.

Instead of John hiding in a bomb shelter during the big boom, he time-traveled over it and landed in a place where it had already happened. Now he needs to rise through the ranks and lead the resistance.

Remember what Kyle Reese said about John in T1? "He taught us how to fight." "He(John) taught us ways to 'dust' them(SkyNet Patrols)".
    It seems that although a bunch of guys with guns are trying to fight the tin-cans when John shows up, they don't really know how. John, of course, does. He teaches, he organizes, he leads.
    He becomes THE John Connor.