should i/can i watch this show?

robdude123

[1]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 19
    I've never seen any Terminator movie, should I/can I watch this show? Should I see the movies first? Should I not bother with any of this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

winterbehaviour

[2]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 22
    Erm It probably would not make much sense if you start watching the show right now in the middle of the season. If you watched the show from the beginning of season 1 you can follow the show and would probably enjoy it but it would make a whole lot more sense if you watched Terminator 2 since the show is set right after the events in that film (you don't have to have seen Terminator 3 and could get away without seeing Terminator 1 too)
    Basically the show makes the assumption that you have seen T2 and doesn't bother explaining any much of the mythology except very briefly: A computer called Skynet took over the world blah blah blah. But you don't absolutely have to have seen it if you know what I mean.

Other people will tell just to watch the the show and it will be fine but that's like advising someone to start watching Lost right now in the middle of season 5. It just wont make much sense.

robdude123

[3]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 19
    Oh no I was never planning on watching it where it is now, I meant from the beginning lol. thanks!

sNaKeBiTe688

[4]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 3

I've actually had the same thoughts as you do, because I also didn't see any of the Terminator films (still don't have), before I started watching the show. But when I saw an episode on German TV last week, I instantly downloaded all the episodes (I got a pm there from a user. to clarify: I purchased it legally from amazon...)and watched them in three days. I didn't have any problems. Most of it is explained quite well. So if you start watching from the beginning, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Edited on 02/27/2009 11:33pm
    Edited 2 total times.

solgrifter

[5]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 31

The first two Terminator films are part of the list of films you need to see before you die, along with Jaws and Star Wars Episode V. Seriously, they are good movies, especially the first one. That film was made on a shoe string budget and mostly without Arnold with outstanding visual effects from the 80's. The sequal set the benchmark for visual effects movies so if you get the chance, watch them.

The show does a good job of summarizing the story but you do need to watch both films to get the full grasp of the series. The hell with Terminator 3, just wait for Salvation with Sir Curse-a-lot aka Christian Bale.