SPOILERS: What did the "Coyote" stand for in Sarah's dream in episode

Bionetic

[1]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 8

I know the coyote had some significance, even though the Janitor said it didn't mean anything. We know this because Sarah sees a coyote before she gets knocked out. The word coyote seems to have multiple definitions. I got a few definitions from the web site Urban Dictionary . Alot of them seem to apply to the episode. The most interesting definition was "when you wake up after a night of hard drinking and your arm is pinned under a really ugly/fat person, so you have to gnaw it of like a cayote in a trap. " Note: I got all these definitions from the urban dictionary. We clearly see the image of Sarah biting her wrist to dislocate her thumb so she can get out of the handcuffs.

In another definition "A person who is of mixed Latino and non-Latino (often caucasian) heritage. " We see this as represented by the janitor and maybe fat woman's boyfriend (I couldn't tell if they were one in the same person).

In another definition "These are the male counter parts to Cougars. Usually newly divorced you can tell this by the fact that they will use the same lines they did in the 1980's and only reference things like Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice. Typically they are a very aggressive angry sort that wants fresh meat and can be easily spotted in there members only jacket or light pastel t shirts with a blazer over it. They lurk in the clubs and will try to impress a Puma or other Naive young women into going home with them. There tactics typically include mentioning that the wife is gone, driving a nice car, and Miami Vice. They drink very non manly drinks like Michelob Ultra, Pink Squirrels, and some form of a Martini typically a Cosmo. Traveling in groups of 2 or 3 they can be seen causing a ruckus and **** about the new music that is being played. " Basically in this definition the fat woman is the coyote. She clearly 'preyed' on younger Hispanic men. Even though the definition is obviously referring to men, I assume the definition can also apply to women.

The most obvious use of the definition "A person who smuggles immigrants into America and they come from any given country for a small fee to cross into the United States. They make very good money doing it. (Average per person $1200) " . The coyote is what helped Sarah to cross from the dream world to the physical world.

There was alot of other dream imagery like that of the witch, but I'll leave it at that.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

m00nshadow

[2]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 20
    All interesting ideas. I was going more with spirit guide, crossing over into a new incarnation of her life. Going back to the episode where she found the warehouse, at the end of that episode Sarah "dies" symbolically. She does a voice-over about a guy named "Cabeza de Vaca" who also experienced a rebirth in the desert. She was a wounded animal before that event, ever since the trauma she endured in "Mr Ferguson", i.e., she has had PTSD ever since then. Now, she has killed another human being, in relatively cold blood. The final line in the "Some Must Watch" episode is another voice-over: "She is a bad dream. She is a bad b**** So the old Sarah, the one Derrick said had a "pure heart", is dead now, in a sense. Coyote is a powerful character in Native American mythology, so I really think that's where the writers were going, but it doesn't mean there can't be multiple meanings. Also, I think the "roommate" character, Dana, is Sarah's alter ego in the dream. She dreams she is burning up all at once, which is Sarah's nightmare of Judgment Day. She also has this line: "She should have taken charge of what was going on in her head." And she does, in fact, die (apparently, although the nurse says otherwise). So that's another reference to death/rebirth for Sarah. (Sorry about the ****. It's the autocensor.)

Bionetic

[3]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    I really like your take. Especially the part about how death of the pure Sarah and the rebirth as a 'nightmare'. I also like the interpretation that Dana was an alter ego of Sarah. You could also say that Dana was one of Sarah's archetypes. To build on that idea, all of the characters in Sarah's dream were archetypes representing different aspects of Sarah's personality. Also, in the scene when John and Cameron were at the vending machine, the candy bar John purchased got stuck in the machine. John struggled to get it out, but when Cameron hit it in the right place not only did John's candy bar come out, but also several other bars as well. This metaphor reflects Sarah's escape from the dream. Sarah was stuck in the dream. Finding the right 'trigger' allowed Sarah to escape the dream. Also, concerning the Dana in relation to her role as a witch, I remember in one of the Harry Potter movies they talked about 'mischief'. The theme of the movie suggested that by breaking the rules at Hogsworth, Harry was able to save the day. Basically by doing what was wrong they succeeded in promoting a greater good. I think this concept applies to this episode of TSCC and the overall series. By breaking the rules of the Sleep Center and trespassing into restricted areas, Sarah was able to out maneuver the security guy who was about to kill her.