Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles cancelled :(

Todd_Gray

[21]May 18, 2009
    • level: 5
    ly
    BoogerHeadRat wrote:

Hey, why don't you guys stop knocking Dollhouse. It's not half the show TSCC was but Joss Whedon deserves to see it through 2 seasons. Why don't I hear anybody b*tching about shows like So You Think You Can Dance or American Idol- at least Dollhouse is half way decent science fiction! But as you can see the same hapless idiots left it in a Friday night time slot so I doubt it will last any longer than Terminator did. I do wish it luck though.

Hey, we're all in shock right now not only from the fact that FOX canceled it but that Warner Brothers is not even bothering to shop it to other networks- seemingly at Josh Friedman's request.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and maybe rent a copy of "Done the Impossible" and see what options, if any, are available to the TSCC fandom.

I bet Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly tortures kittens in his spare time, though.

"American Idol"? As in, hey, watch this episode; it's the one where that girl or guy sings a song! That show was good it's first season then turned into the nothing more than a monotonous diatribe. As for any reality shows... they're all pretty much garbage. They are a fad style of t.v. of which about 90% of them won't be on t.v. anymore in about 3 years.

As for TSCC's, the writer's strike did this show in more than anything else. Notice Dollhouse didn't suffer the writer's strike and has been approved for a second season? Now you know that it's the almight dollar that matters to these execs and not the fans. They could care less what we think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BAGTbird

[22]May 18, 2009
    • level: 10
    Todd_Gray wrote:
    "American Idol"? As in, hey, watch this episode; it's the one where that girl or guy sings a song! That show was good it's first season then turned into the nothing more than a monotonous diatribe. As for any reality shows... they're all pretty much garbage. They are a fad style of t.v. of which about 90% of them won't be on t.v. anymore in about 3 years.

As for TSCC's, the writer's strike did this show in more than anything else. Notice Dollhouse didn't suffer the writer's strike and has been approved for a second season? Now you know that it's the almight dollar that matters to these execs and not the fans. They could care less what we think.

I'm reminded of syndicated columnist Jim Mullen's "The Village Idiot" that I read in today's paper. He talks about the death of network TV due to high costs for scripted shows and berates reality shows. I quote: "That's why reality shows are on network TV to begin with - they are the ShamWows of entertainment."

Maybe the writers' strike had something to do with it. Several shows that had just started around that time are struggling or have flopped. For example, Heroes had its 2nd season killed in part because of the strike and many would argue that it has been downhill from there.

At the end of it all, I'm just going to heave a huge sigh and try to look on the bright side. At least I don't have as many shows to keep up with in the fall.

crashingdoors

[23]May 18, 2009
    • level: 13
    Todd_Gray wrote:
    CylonAgent12 wrote:

Yeah, it's done.
    Shame on FOX.

The fans did everything they could to save the show. Too bad they didn't listed us.
    What bugs me is the renewal of Dollhouse. Ok, it's a nice show, but why on earth did they picked it before SCC at all?

Anyway, it's a sad, sad day.

The renewal of Dollhouse is surprising? Honestly, is it any surprise that the American t.v. watching public wants a show with hot, scantily-clad women that can be programmed to be any sort of sex-toy play-bunny they want? I mean, Dollhouse isn't "bad" so-to-speak, but's the perfect example of the typical dumbing down of the American television viewer IMO. As for TSCC's, I was holding out hope until the last second, but I'm not surprised to see it cancelled. The writers did what I consider a horrific job in the second season of this show as compared to it's first season, which was exciting and intriguing. If anything, blame the writer's strike because I think that's what did it in.

Dollhouse... Dumbing down? For the record: I like Dollhouse and TSCC. Also, the president of FOX claims that it wasn't a choice between TSCC and Dollhouse so what's with the comparison?

Now, as for the quality of the show, TSCC went downhill in season 2. It was much too serious--the content should be, of course, but I think the producers and writers took themselves too seriously. If anything, I felt that it was a bit "dumbed down" this season. One example of something that just annoyed me to no end was in "Desert Cantos". They were at the girls fathers funeral. John concludes that the guy isn't really dead because the mom/daughter don't look at the picture. Derek doesn't believe it. Derek looks at the women then comes to the conclusion that the "dead guy" really is alive. Just becuase John said that "if Kyle was alive, would you look at the picture". That whole thing made no sense, it was bad writing.

Dollhouse is a smart show, although it has its downsides. The first few episodes were rocky, but the episodes leading up to the finale were brilliant. The finale itself was a bit odd, but at least you can see that Joss is taking the show somewhere.

ssa2204

[24]May 18, 2009
    • level: 6

:
    The renewal of Dollhouse is surprising? Honestly, is it any surprise that the American t.v. watching public wants a show with hot, scantily-clad women that can be programmed to be any sort of sex-toy play-bunny they want? I mean, Dollhouse isn't "bad" so-to-speak, but's the perfect example of the typical dumbing down of the American television viewer IMO. As for TSCC's, I was holding out hope until the last second, but I'm not surprised to see it cancelled. The writers did what I consider a horrific job in the second season of this show as compared to it's first season, which was exciting and intriguing. If anything, blame the writer's strike because I think that's what did it in.

Dollhouse is not bad as in the SciFi channels horrid Flash Gordon series, but you are correct in that it really is dumbed down popcorn flash for kids with no attention span. I tried really hard to like this show, but god was it mindless trash.

TSCC certainly can not be argued to be the best SciFi, or the best TV show, but it certainly was quality. But I think sadly the direction of scripted TV is moving away from the OTA networks to cable (FX to HBO). The best shows produced, quality wise, have almost all been on cable. Standard network channels seem to require mindless viewers to view the mindless dribble.

Edited on 05/18/2009 6:40pm

Tortured_Mike

[25]May 18, 2009
    • level: 9

Todd_Gray wrote:
    As for TSCC's, I was holding out hope until the last second, but I'm not surprised to see it cancelled. The writers did what I consider a horrific job in the second season of this show as compared to it's first season, which was exciting and intriguing. .

Agreed 100%.

I loved season one so much.. and was so proactive about saving the show, but by the end of the horribly written and poorly plotted second season.. I just didn't care anymore.

I'm sort of glad the second season was so awful, cos now I don't feel that sad that it's gone.

scottycam13

[26]May 18, 2009
    • level: 2

I'm not going to revert to profanity like others, but I would like to mention my thoughts.

First, I would like to say I enjoyed reading everyones comments throughout the episodes. This is a cult movie that didn't hold it's ground. I was hoping it would come back just because I want closure from the story/characters. I grew up watching the original movies, and the past spring in 08, I came across an advertisement of T:SCC. I thought to myself, OMG, this show is going to be stupid. I was going back to school in 08, and living by myself, I decided to follow a TV show to get me through the semesters. I have never followed a TV show in my life, because production is always poorer than movies, but for some reason I wanted to give one a try and I chose the SCC. After the first episode, I thought it just going to be a plain series showing new terminators in each episode. I kept watching, because of the Summer Glau character. I liked the idea of a female terminator. By the third episode I was drawn in by all the characters. Eache episode left me wanting to know what will happen next.

Even though I thought some shows were fillers in the 2nd season, I was hooked no matter what. The story lines/characters were intriguing. The show brought a new perspective to the terminator world. I will go see Salvation, but knowing it will end in 2 hrs from the start will be disappointing. The SCC kept me going through the semesters and kept me thinking. I live in a nastolgic world, and I remember during season 1, where I was excited about every monday night to come around. I will buy season 2 and watch it, even though Know it will end with "what's going to happen next." I will watch in disappointment, but I will watch it with a smile and I will enjoy the show for what it was. THANK YOU FANS! and THANK YOU CAST for giving me a year and half of comfort on the couch.

For a great tribute I found a video on Youtube. Just search "TSCC: Breathe"

BoogerHeadRat

[27]May 19, 2009
    • level: 11

I was really quite depressed last night as I went to bed and figured I'd throw on a copy of fandom movie "Done the Impossible: The Fans' Tale of 'Firefly' and 'Serenity'" for inspiration. For those of you who are not familiar with the film it documents the progress made by Firefly fans from the cancelation of the show in the middle of its first season to the showing of the movie "Serenity" that was based on the series and gave closure to millions of fans around the world.

Considering the passion I have seen on the pages of this show's forum I toyed with the idea of trying to start a similar initiative for TSCC. After looking around both here and elsewhere I have decided that it would be a futile effort for a number of reasons.

1. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was a good show- a damned good show but it was no Firefly. It differed from the movies in that it studied its characters in-depth but lacked that uniqueness in creating its own universe that made Firefly such an original series.

2. Firefly was canceled in the middle of its first season airing less than half the episodes that were produced which left many people hanging in mid air- consequently this lead to rabid purchases of DVD's just so people could finish the season.

3. Firefly had Joss Whedon. I don't mean 'the Great Joss Whedon' that is renown for his creativity but the Joss Whedon that fought tooth and nails along side his fan base to give Firefly one more chance. Josh Friedman on the other hand has just told us all to pack-it-in and go home. ( http://www.fox.com/blogs/terminator/2009/05/18/one-last-thing-from-josh-friedman/ ). Perhaps he got as bored with the series as the rest of the folks at FOX. I guess that's what makes the difference between Joss Whedon and everyone else (notice which 'doomed' series FOX is picking up).

4. TSCC's fandom. Although as I mentioned above, the fandom of TSCC seemed, to me at least, to be both expansive and passionate in their love for the series. But looking around the web I have been disappointed in seeing how many fan sites of TSCC have just gone off line in the last 24 hours. As a n00bee here at TV.com I was deceived in thinking that many of people who write in (not only here but on numerous TSCC sites) to discuss, cheer, b*tch, drool and fawn over the characters and storyline of Terminator might actually have fought on to create a Jericho-like resistance that could possibly lead to continued filming of the series. After seeing so many people close up shop I would have to say the most I could expect would be that some people continue griping for a week or so and a for few hyper-loyal fans to try to mail in some pertinent physical object in to show FOX their displeasure (I personally think dogpoop would be a good choice as it would help keep the city streets clean and give Kevin Reilly an accurate idea of we think of him).

Well, I can't say it hasn't been fun. TSCC was the first show made me want to write into a forum to discuss it with others. That has been a rewarding experience in itself. Some of you here whose comments I particularly liked I will try to track and see what you might have to say about other shows and their imaginative universes.

Good Luck to all of you and if anybody gets a good postal rate on dogpoop please let me know.

krussell47

[28]May 19, 2009
    • level: 12
    What is wrong with FOX? This was a great show and had a lot to offer. Plus viewership was probably going to rise once Terminator: Salvation opens this weekend and reboots fans interest in the Terminator franchise. But nope, FOX making a big mistake like many of the big networks do when it comes to good programming.

fallenepitaph

[29]May 19, 2009
    • level: 13

I'm sorry guys, I know how it hurts (people who are taking this personal and still think about resisting are hilarious) but don't worry you'll forget about it before the summer is over, and you'll have a bunch of new shows to obsess about.

i know u'll be pissed but i kinda want to make faces at you guys : ) cos i am sooooo happy that it ended. there was this idea mentioned on this forum about everyone sending chips to fox as a saving champaign and i think it was extremely cool and made me scared for a minute that it might actually work, but god bless it didnt.

the reason this is simple. there was a great movie called terminator. then there was this movie called terminator 2 which made me fall in love with movies and decide to be a director, just to create something as moving as that.

then, there was terminator 3.... a juicy parody of my favourite movie that was fun, but was an overall shame for the name.

and then , there was sarah connor chronicles. it kinda cancelled T3. and although john sucked, (in my opinion ofcourse) cameron was great, and the person playing sarah was actually enough to fit sarah's shoes. there came great episodes. it was what it was supposed to be: creating great action and suspense by paying homage to these great two movies.

but then what happened? the writers decided that sarah needs to be deepened and all those girly episodes, sarah having dreams, talking around the house about their feelings for full episodes, unnecesserily overdevelopped plots... the show started taking itself too seriously. and for the last year, except some great parts, (the unforgetable season premiere being at the top of that list, ) the show was a complete disgrace, a stain to the franchise i held so dearly. and because of that, it was out of my "if it goes bad, just dont watch it, no need to troll about it" policy. it needed to go down, and it needed to go down painfully.

so... hasta la vista, baby! you are terminated.

moatilliatta85

[30]May 19, 2009
    • level: 6
    So it's done then. This show was the one that actually made me come to the TV.com forums every week. Too bad about the filler episodes in season 2, because it truly could've been an awesome season (it sure started that way, and it even ended that way too). For some reason I'm still thinking that there might be a spinoff series in the future. Why? John Connor's story has to be told, that's why. TJCC? *sighs*

jcool789

[31]May 19, 2009
    • level: 7

Its not fair I Love TTSCC!!!

ArithmosPT

[32]May 19, 2009
    • level: 3
    fallenepitaph: I respect your opinion, each of us has the right for one. I agree with you about the movies, T1 was very good, T2 was awesome but T3, forgive me Arnie, it just sucked. Now about TSCC, you made your point, perhaps you just like the fast story development that happens in the movies, it's simple to have a 2 hour action pack movie, but a 22 episodes of 43 minutes each, and giving the worldwide economy with all the budget cut you just couldn't have that. Some episodes were fillers I admit that, but others were just awesome. I am a huge fan of T1 and T2, but TSCC was cooler. Maybe you're just a bit lazy to think about a complicated plot, so I advise you to read our reviews for each episode. The movies are simple, all questions are aswered, not so much of suspense and doubt, and then... there's TSCC. I could write a review about what I think of TSCC but a leave that to another day. It's sad that you mock those who actually fight for something they love, the chip was a awesome idea, and it could have worked, and just so you (fallenepitaph) know, maybe our actions, and yes we are resistance, weren't in vain. And we still fight for what we believe, because there's no fate but what we make for ourselves. Now for all of you that are reading this forum and are interested, there will be a staff meeting with Sci Fi channel executives to discuss if TSCC is affordable. So, all is not lost! I still have hopes and dreams. But I can't say the same about Josh Friedman, I seriously doubt he'll ever be in a terminator show ever again. I know that across the world everybody is thanking him for 2 wonderful seasons, but he was the one that never wanted the show back in the first place, he did nothing to help the renewall of the show, he didn't follow fox orders, always did everything he wanted, because he just thinks he's a genious and owns the world. I guess he thinks he's Neo, rules and bounderies do not apply to him, he's above all that.

BoogerHeadRat

[33]May 19, 2009

ArithmosPT wrote:
    fallenepitaph: I respect your opinion, each of us has the right for one. I agree with you about the movies, T1 was very good, T2 was awesome but T3, forgive me Arnie, it just sucked. Now about TSCC, you made your point, perhaps you just like the fast story development that happens in the movies, it's simple to have a 2 hour action pack movie, but a 22 episodes of 43 minutes each, and giving the worldwide economy with all the budget cut you just couldn't have that. Some episodes were fillers I admit that, but others were just awesome. I am a huge fan of T1 and T2, but TSCC was cooler. Maybe you're just a bit lazy to think about a complicated plot, so I advise you to read our reviews for each episode. The movies are simple, all questions are aswered, not so much of suspense and doubt, and then... there's TSCC. I could write a review about what I think of TSCC but a leave that to another day. It's sad that you mock those who actually fight for something they love, the chip was a awesome idea, and it could have worked, and just so you (fallenepitaph) know, maybe our actions, and yes we are resistance, weren't in vain. And we still fight for what we believe, because there's no fate but what we make for ourselves. Now for all of you that are reading this forum and are interested, there will be a staff meeting with Sci Fi channel executives to discuss if TSCC is affordable. So, all is not lost! I still have hopes and dreams. But I can't say the same about Josh Friedman, I seriously doubt he'll ever be in a terminator show ever again. I know that across the world everybody is thanking him for 2 wonderful seasons, but he was the one that never wanted the show back in the first place, he did nothing to help the renewall of the show, he didn't follow fox orders, always did everything he wanted, because he just thinks he's a genious and owns the world. I guess he thinks he's Neo, rules and bounderies do not apply to him, he's above all that.

Nicely put, AritmosPT. Please keep us advised as to what SciFi decides.

fallenepitaph: My father always said, "If you don't like a man, don't go to his funeral." I think you're in the wrong room.

tvfreakazoid

[34]May 25, 2009
    • level: 8

This really blows. I just got done watching the season finale and WOW! It was one of my favorite shows but after the finale it became my "favorite" show. Can you beleive it, the T1000 was fighting against skynet. It's like a civil war between the robots.

I read that one of the reasons other than low ratings that it got canned, becasue warner bros owns the rights to terminator and because fox can't make any money from dvd sales they canned a great show. Now if they were able to make some money off dvd sales then maybe it would of gotton another season. It was doing good on DVR's but tv stations cant make money that way. Plus I think fox didn't do a very good job of promoting it. Firefly and now Terminator. Fox sure knows how to cancel really good shows.

tvfreakazoid

[35]May 25, 2009
    • level: 8
    The problem is that you can't compare to a 2 hr movie to almost 20hrs of tv show. BIG difference. Well I hope by people sending in chips that fox may do what CBS did for Jericho. At least give it another 8 episodes and see how it turns out and give us a ending in case TTSCC doesn't make it. I have to at least give CBS a very big credit for giving us fans a ending in case it didn't do good on the second try. I wish more tv show that has a big buzz would give us an ending.

meateater79

[36]May 26, 2009
    • level: 7

Man, you guys just had to say the F-word (Firefly). Now I really feel like crying. TSCC at least got 2 seasons and somewhat of an ending. Firefly and its fans got shafted with only half a 1st season. But it looks like Fox is learning and improving. Maybe that next great TV series they give up on will have 3 seasons.

But it really is wonderful how many passionate fans cared enough to do everything that was done to save the show. One can only hope that when they said TSCC is no more, they don't mean the next series of the franchise (JCC! JCC!).

That being said, I'll go and demand a refund for "The Secret". So much for the power of positive thinking...

alluringsoul

[38]May 30, 2009
    • level: 1

I am terribly disappointed at two things. One is the cancellation of this stellar TV series! It always had me on the edge of my seat.

I agree that if it was Dollhouse vs Terminator - no contest. Terminator MUST remain. However, what is done is done and all the screaming in the world, won't change their narrow little minds.

Secondly, I am disappointed at the poor turnout of outcries from die hard viewers. Where are you all?? I'm sort of late in the race as well...this is not a forum I frequent unless I have some deep, heartfelt issues such as this. I blame the absurdity of reality shows that eat up precious programming. Well to each his own.

But just look at the ratings of this show. Doesn't Fox consider these? Why have them at all, then? Sadly, I say goodbye to yet another fabulous series that has fallen (this includes Jerico, Invasion). Look at the quirky sci fi's that are still going?

If there is anything we can do (Fox please respond). Sending volumes of peanuts to head office put Jerico on for a second season albeit the network was sneaky - only half the number of episodes and no advertising. This is sad news for all of us who spend hours glued to the television, just to find out their favourites have been cancelled. Sometimes I wonder why I watch at all.

BoogerHeadRat

[39]Jun 1, 2009
    alluringsoul wrote:

Secondly, I am disappointed at the poor turnout of outcries from die hard viewers. Where are you all?? I'm sort of late in the race as well...this is not a forum I frequent unless I have some deep, heartfelt issues such as this. I blame the absurdity of reality shows that eat up precious programming. Well to each his own.

Yeh, I was also somewhat amazed about how quickly this forum withered to its present deserted state. I wonder where all the people went to. They probably just feel "it just ain't worth it, no more'.

Personally I don't remember seeing a show this loved loose its fan base so quickly.

sNaKeBiTe688

[40]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 3
    I just don't see a way we can bring it back. Even Josh Friedman said it's over and the whole cast has moved on.

You should check out the official wiki. There are many fans who are still posting.