That Was Supposed To Be a GUY!?!!?

What do you think?

Falcondude123

[1]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 10

"Abraham" in 'earthlings welcome here' made it impossible for me to concentrate on the Sarah storyline bcuz I cudn't figure out if it was a male or female or extraterrestrial....

I'm sorry, but a woman playing a guy playing a woman just doesn't work...

Did anyone else notice this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

winterbehaviour

[2]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 22
    HELL. YES.
    I couldn't wotk out what was going on until (s)he said "I'm living as a woman"
    The bit in the the bathroom when (s)he was scrubbing off the make up just escaped me. When you think about it women playing men playing women are used more often because I think men just do not make convincing women. Case in point Ugly Betty's Alexa.
    The actress just looked like a women to me so I didn't get the point, a male actor would have made more sense.

CaptainAcid

[3]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    Yeah, not enough of a convincing guy.

SASUGA123

[5]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 6
    I think the idea was transgender character. He realized he wanted to be woman. Estrogen Treatment. Androgenous looking actress.

JanieDoe

[6]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    I did not even get any impression of 'man' from her. Like the poster above said, its possible he took female hormones since he wanted to live as a woman. I don't know. This episode was just too confusing for me.
    Edited on 12/16/2008 10:35pm

tylersmom65

[7]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 9
    Did I completely miss something - What was the he/she mean that "they don't know who I am". Alien?? Waitress?? Huh?

CaptainHarkness

[8]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 23
    This episode was a little screwed up.

m00nshadow

[9]Dec 18, 2008
    • level: 20
    I imagine that the writers were being "cutting edge" by writing a transgender character. I had to watch it a couple of times to get that, though, because the whole episode was so complicated. The dramatic purpose of it, I think, is found in the conversation between "Eileen" and Sarah in which Eileen tells Sarah that "they" killed that past self of living as a (male) cog, and that it liberated her to live as she really wanted to, finally. In other words, the need to hide provided an excuse to go ahead and live as a woman. Nothing left to lose, so why not? At the end, Sarah sees her "dead" waitress self, and also her T-2 self in the mental hospital outfit. I think the idea is that this episode marks the "death" of that second incarnation of Sarah. She will now have a third existence. Wonder what it will be?

DuoMaxwell007

[10]Dec 19, 2008
    • level: 12
    hold on so youre saying that actor was a female actor and not a male actor? >>

TV_And_College

[11]Dec 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    I am so confused.

m00nshadow

[12]Dec 22, 2008
    The writers of this show really make you work for it! Eileen is transgender. The murder attempt on "Allen" provided the impetus for him to let go of being a guy and go live as a woman, which is what he really wanted to do. I think it's kind of bold of them to have a character like this without explaining it. Once upon a time, you'd have to explain a gay character on tv if you had one.

Falcondude123

[13]Dec 29, 2008

Okay maybe it was "bold". However, that's a little too "bold" for me. Also I think u might b reading too deep into it. I think it was just honestly poor choice of casting and some bad makeup artists.

Also I don't like what they're doing to Sarah. If she's getting cancer-related hallucinations, the writers should just say so, instead of using this horribly confusing sense of enwei (forgive my spelling; I don't speak french too well).

C'mone, Terminator is supposed to be futuristic, action-packed, down-to-earth sci-fi, not brain-bubbling philosophy.

m00nshadow

[14]Dec 30, 2008
    Falcondude123 wrote:

Okay maybe it was "bold". However, that's a little too "bold" for me. Also I think u might b reading too deep into it. I think it was just honestly poor choice of casting and some bad makeup artists.

Also I don't like what they're doing to Sarah. If she's getting cancer-related hallucinations, the writers should just say so, instead of using this horribly confusing sense of enwei (forgive my spelling; I don't speak french too well).

C'mone, Terminator is supposed to be futuristic, action-packed, down-to-earth sci-fi, not brain-bubbling philosophy.

Yeah, see my forum thread on whether that was a big mistake. But the idea of this episode overall is rebirth into some new phase of one's life. Good for Alan, bad for Sarah. Maybe the boldest choice is to do different kinds of episodes and risk pissing everyone off if every episode isn't their bag!

Cancer-related hallucinations? Explain? My take was PTSD.

Hopeless_Savage

[15]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 9
    He wasn't transgender. He didn't 'want' to be a woman in the traditional sense. It was the best way for him to hide his identity.
    But ya, slicking back ones hair and sitting with 'his' legs open didn't convince me he was really a guy.

netgoddess

[16]Jan 2, 2009
    Hopeless_Savage wrote:
    He wasn't transgender. He didn't 'want' to be a woman in the traditional sense. It was the best way for him to hide his identity.

Yeah whatever, that seemed like an excuse to me. Nobody goes and tries to live as the other gender as "the best way to hide" their identity. The character was just feeling guilty/ashamed about being transgendered and tried to explain it off as a "necessary evil".

mrswinchester24

[17]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 11

yeah, some of the episodes r getting kind of hard 2 follow. hopefuly it goes back to season 1 suff

ilee1990

[18]Feb 16, 2009
    The episodes are being written with the expectation that the audience is intellectual mature and can grasp this things that aren't said overtly. That's obviously not the case.

It was more than implied that Eileen was born a man but had transgender issues. The situation she found herself in was the impetus for her to realize her desire to be a woman. Alan isn't pretending. He really does feel like a woman.

"Cancer hallucinations" --there's no such thing.

Falcondude123

[19]Feb 19, 2009
    ilee1990 wrote:
    The episodes are being written with the expectation that the audience is intellectual mature and can grasp this things that aren't said overtly. That's obviously not the case.

It was more than implied that Eileen was born a man but had transgender issues. The situation she found herself in was the impetus for her to realize her desire to be a woman. Alan isn't pretending. He really does feel like a woman.

"Cancer hallucinations" --there's no such thing.

Brain tumors are known to be related to causing memory loss and also sometimes dillusional thinking: I know- my grandfather is suffering from a brain tumor and is talking like he is a prophet or something like that.

So, yes, Sarah's hallucination episodes could be related to the cancer she is supposed to be developing.

(Alan desperately needs a father-figure in his life)