Why Fox Won't Cancel TSCC yet anyway

Buzzplay

[1]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 1

Fox would be making a huge mistake by announcing this show cancelled before "Terminator Salvation" comes out for many reasons. One reason being, whether or not there is some kind of tie in between the movie and TV show (I personally think there is none) so it would be a "total dick" move and could definitely hurt the movies performance at the box office. I got to believe there is some kind of agreement between production and studio heads to remain silent on TSCC fate until the movie is released. Another reason would be Fox could exploit what they have with TSCC if TS is a huge blockbuster this summer.

Here is the scenario I hope comes to fruition…

1.TS is a huge hit and pulls in over 200 Million this summer

2.Fox announces TSCC will return with 16 new episodes starting in JAN 2010 at ComicCon 09

3.TS comes out on DVD and Blu Ray for the 2009 holiday season

4. Fox puts together a special TSCC season1 and 2 Blu Ray collectors edition with tons of bonus materials, connections with the franchise etc for the 2009 holiday season

5.Fox airs TSCC starting in the fall of 09 with the "pop up" commentary's so people can catch up and get interested again

6. TSCC returns to Fox on Mondays after "24" in 2010

That all sounds reasonable right?

Edited on 04/14/2009 4:24pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mchris41

[2]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 4

It does sound fairly reasonable.

I think another reason Fox might not cancel is because they are already losing Prison Break this season as well as (unfortunately) Dollhouse, among others.

redhawk100

[3]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 6

Yes it does sound reasonable. A movie with the same name as a TV show is basically free advertising, what other franchise has that luxury?...I mean what more do Fox want??

A sane network would order 13 episodes a few months after the movie when the buzz is still high and if the ratings are OK then they can order a full season. Canceling the series BEFORE or right after the movie will just hurt both and they definitely would lose money in the process.

Edited on 04/14/2009 5:33pm

drgerass

[4]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 6

If you haven't already, there is a petition circulationg to save the show, please sign it and hopefully get it picked up by another network, if FOX cancels it:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/the-sarah-connor-chronicles.html

Or you can email FOX at askfox@fox.com with your thoughts on the show!!!

sNaKeBiTe688

[5]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 3
    If they really do cancel it, I think I wouldn't go see the movie either.

ArithmosPT

[6]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 3
    I agree with you, and I think everyone should do the same.

skydiver237

[7]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 1
    I ask the same question again - What sci-fi show will replace this one? There will always be a solid sci-fi show audience base. BSG has ended, Heroes becoming so so and with Terminator Salvation coming out, this is an opportunity to feed a hungry sci-fi crowd. Canceling this show is likely another Firefly mistake with the end result is an empty sci fi slot ($$$) in the fall. Sci-fi people are a different group and TSCC has chemistry. I can't imagine watching prison break or dollhouse given the choice over TSCC. I believe, the TSCC viewership is significant but difficult to measure accurately. Also, this group is a quiet but LOYAL audience similar to Firefly. Give us a webisode woven into the main story arc. I'm sure the webisode downloads will reveal the volume of non-Nielsen type viewers that makeup this large but quiet Sci-fi audience. For the business side within Fox, safe branding with the T series is good, solid and less risky but now limiting. Let the reigns go a free a little more with TSCC for season three and tie it in to Salvation. Last thought... Why overly focus on a narrow security/survival of John theme? While his survival is the precondition of the future, he is *not* the major relating empathetic factor that drives the success/failure of this show. Firefly's appeal was the romanticism of the old-west combined with the escapism of sci-fi.

Xx-explicit-xX

[8]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    Move the show back to Mondays and the viewers will go right up!!!!

fallenepitaph

[9]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 13

are you nuts?

no way any producer in his right mind puts a terribly downfall show with an already limited audience like sarah connor on the same night with a powerhouse like 24.

and i think this show being on is bad for the movie.

Xx-explicit-xX

[10]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 7

It has potential to grow but airing it on Fridays totally kills any real chance the show has. Season 1 of Terminator SCC had 3 million more viewers then season 1 of 24, in fact season 1 had around the same amount of viewers as 24 did for the first 4 seasons!!!

Season 1 of TSCC had 11.4 million viewers

Season 2 of TSCC had 4.7 million viewers, the same season in which it was moved to Fridays, i think the numbers speak for themselves!!

Edited on 04/17/2009 9:52am

Falcondude123

[11]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 10
    fallenepitaph wrote:

are you nuts?

no way any producer in his right mind puts a terribly downfall show with an already limited audience like sarah connor on the same night with a powerhouse like 24.

Hey, putting it on after 24 is actually the best idea I've heard so far. Putting it on BEFORE 24 would just suck ratings down, but AFTER 24 would boost Terminator ratings and make it profitable again.

Look, the key is to get people to give this show a chance- too many are initially turned off by the name "Sarah" in the title. I know I was!

You want to grow the fanbase of this show? Let people be too lazy to change the channel first(as they almost always are).

vstherevolution

[12]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 26
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    fallenepitaph wrote:

are you nuts?

Hey, putting it on after 24 is actually the best idea I've heard so far. Putting it on BEFORE 24 would just suck ratings down, but AFTER 24 would boost Terminator ratings and make it profitable again.

Look, the key is to get people to give this show a chance- too many are initially turned off by the name "Sarah" in the title. I know I was!

You want to grow the fanbase of this show? Let people be too lazy to change the channel first(as they almost always are).

I like your idea very much. And I agree about being turned off by the show title -- I thought it would be all about Sarah and not as much about John's fight. After watching it though I realized this show truly has one of the best ensemble casts I've ever seen on television. I'd watch it every Monday night after 24 if they put it there, and hell, I'd actually start watching 24 on air again simply to keep me entertained during the wait for new TSCC!

Falcondude123

[13]Apr 20, 2009
    vstherevolution wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    fallenepitaph wrote:

are you nuts?

I like your idea very much. And I agree about being turned off by the show title -- I thought it would be all about Sarah and not as much about John's fight. After watching it though I realized this show truly has one of the best ensemble casts I've ever seen on television. I'd watch it every Monday night after 24 if they put it there, and hell, I'd actually start watching 24 on air again simply to keep me entertained during the wait for new TSCC!

Someone needs to approach FOX with this idea.

ebony_kunoichi

[14]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 13
    Don't anyone remember that terminator use to be on Mondays. I don't remember what the lead in show was, but they moved it to Friday's cause the ratings sucked. People have to watch live. Not DVR, the DVR ratings are tallied, but advertisers don't give a crap about those. They want people to watch the commercials and not fast forward past them. The movie coming out will not save this show. I predict that Dollhouse will be up for a 2nd season, if the ratings don't improve then it will be cancelled. Terminator will not be renewed for a third season. It is too expensive and not enough ratings. I love the show, but i'm a realist.

Tortured_Mike

[15]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 9
    Sounds like a cool way for thing to go.. however it also sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. Hopefully it happens that way though

Tortured_Mike

[16]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 9

fallenepitaph wrote:
    too many are initially turned off by the name "Sarah" in the title. I know I was!

I definately was. When I first saw this advertised, I saw "Sarah" in the title and I just thought "BORING". I thought it would be some stupid chick drama show.

It wasn't until I saw the first season on special + the fact that I loved the old movies that I bought it and got into it.

Falcondude123

[17]Apr 21, 2009
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:
    Don't anyone remember that terminator use to be on Mondays. I don't remember what the lead in show was, but they moved it to Friday's cause the ratings sucked. People have to watch live. Not DVR, the DVR ratings are tallied, but advertisers don't give a crap about those. They want people to watch the commercials and not fast forward past them. The movie coming out will not save this show. I predict that Dollhouse will be up for a 2nd season, if the ratings don't improve then it will be cancelled. Terminator will not be renewed for a third season. It is too expensive and not enough ratings. I love the show, but i'm a realist.

Most people blame the following factors for the rating drop on Mondays:

1. The title. "Sarah" is the one word which prejudices people against this show.

2. The writer's strike. It cut down season one to only nine episodes, and left us in a hiatus that felt endless.

3. The lack of hype by FOX, especially before season two. Whether or not this one is true, I don't know. I didn't really notice one way or the other.

4. Josh Friedman. He made part of the season one finale a musical, and part of the season two premiere a musical, and maybe put too much philosophy in some episodes. Despite this, the vast majority of his work was AWESOME and AMAZING!!

Most of the above are simple, bad choices made by producers or writers which could be fixed in a heartbeat.
    The rest was just bad luck.
    It wouldn't be hard to make this show work, if FOX tweeked a few simple things. Putting Terminator behind 24 would b more than enough to fix most of the problems(or atleast overcome them).