Why is EVERY episode filler in the second season?

slavinator26

[1]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 10
    the first seaon was good due to a steady,well thought out, consistent storyline...so what the hell happened this year? only 1/4 episodes seems to actually follow the story arc that they are trying to portray,while 75% of them are just random thrown together filler episodes...if they wanted to make the season shorter,why didnt they just move it to FX and air 12 episodes instead of killing what was once a decent show
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 28
    Yeah, not happy with this season. First season was good.

voleure

[3]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 4
    Antdude...
    Perhaps you both are not into complex plots where many pieces that seem unrelated suddenly snap together in a surprise plot twists or bring out the depths/back-stories of the characters.

I am impressed as always with the depth of writing on this show and look forward to more. Voleure

slavinator26

[4]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 10
    Voleure...being that i am a communications major focusing specifically on screenwriting,and storytelling i am going to have to disagree with your accusation there...

I am very fond of complex plots in different shows,that define each and every character to the fullest extent...this particular season of the show show however uses a statistically failed method called "retroactive exclusivity"...in other words, when it does cutbacks (which it often does) they last the ENTIRE episode (the dream one for example)...without giving any mention of the ongoing story-line AT ALL...when you refer to "complex storylines" im assuming you mean shows like "Lost" that also use a similar method. However Lost's cutbacks only last for al portion of the show and intertwine with the storyline making it interesting,and "productive" in a sense of the word. Terminator knew what worked the first season,so im really curious as to why the writer's chose this sloppy path,other than the fact that it is much easier to write many different filler episodes than to have a progressive ongoing storyline.

And while you may like this method yourself Voleure...generalized society does not,and because of this,,,the show is getting extremely low ratings at the moment and is almost certain to be cancelled

jamao

[5]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 1

I've only watched up to (half of) episode 2 of the second season, and already I'm afraid to watch more.

I completely concur that season 1 was interesting and engaging.
    Not once did I think to myself "wth?" well, mebbe once, but if so I dont remember it. None of the choices in direction/andor/writing in season 1 made me wonder "what are they (the writers) doing?". and a little more close to topic: Who are these new characters, and more importantly, 'why' are these new characters?

does it get better from here? or spoken in other words; does it return to its former quality?

Edited on 04/29/2009 10:38pm

meateater79

[6]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 7
    I don't mind the filler episodes as long as their good (X-Files had some awesome filler episodes). A couple of TSCC 2nd season's were a little boring, but I didn't really think there were that many that constituted as filler episodes. Just out of curiousity, which one's do you guys consider to be fillers? I'm not arguing your point, but wanna take advantage of opinions of fellow fans who are not just mere fans.

vstherevolution

[7]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 26
    meateater79 wrote:
    I don't mind the filler episodes as long as their good (X-Files had some awesome filler episodes). A couple of TSCC 2nd season's were a little boring, but I didn't really think there were that many that constituted as filler episodes. Just out of curiousity, which one's do you guys consider to be fillers? I'm not arguing your point, but wanna take advantage of opinions of fellow fans who are not just mere fans.

I completely agree. And most of the episodes that many might categorize as filler had a lot of character progression, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. The only episodes I thought were really filler were Alpine Fields and Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep. And some might consider Self Made Man as filler but I loved that episode.

meateater79

[8]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 7

vstherevolution wrote:
    meateater79 wrote:
    I completely agree. And most of the episodes that many might categorize as filler had a lot of character progression, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. The only episodes I thought were really filler were Alpine Fields and Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep. And some might consider Self Made Man as filler but I loved that episode.

Self Made Man was also one of my favorite episodes; Cameron was very funny in it. I don't consider it a filler, as we saw quite a bit of Cameron's development in it. Before it, I assumed that Cameron just patrolled the house at night. It was, however, a little confusing. It wasn't explained why the mayor (or governor; I forgot which) was marked for termination.

xenailuv

[9]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 4
    The second season was a bit off. Part of the charm was that John Connor was trying to be normal and a super hero. But that asside the drama was high. Cameron comes off as a great character and the show has changed. Now it is a young hero whos world is distroyed but it will show how he can rise above. This can also develop Sarah because now she no longer has John to worry about. She can work on her own. John if he comes back will be a changed person. I want to see a third season.

ArithmosPT

[10]May 2, 2009
    • level: 3
    In my opinion there was only the Sarah Connor episode in "Some must watch while some must sleep" that I consider a filler, and even that one had Cameron in bra and panties so it was worth watching too.

jamao

[11]May 3, 2009
    • level: 1

i'd say the fact that by episode 6 there have been

one (riley),
    two (blood-writer),
    three (carl greenway),
    four (allison young),
    five (jody),
    six (martin debell - maybe even seven considering marty),
    seven (therapist),
    eight (Jesse)

new characters already introduced in season 2 would qualify these episodes as filler. none of these characters 'will' be revisited in a meaningful way (I'm assuming that, I havent watched whole season2, but I cant imagine any "good" story choices that could possibly bring back any of them).

Perhaps that list is a bit stretched, but even having half of the episodes so far just center around some aribitrary story (allison young, jody) (martin debell) or containing some character with no background or development (riley) has really killed my enjoyment of this show. I'm not saying that those stories are bad (I enjoyed Marty), but what happened to telling the story of "You wanna stop Skynet? this is the way". oh, and the other thing that has felt wrong in season2 is the intro; I liked the intro with Sarah voicing, but whats up with the white bg and crosshairs?

end rant

ArithmosPT

[12]May 3, 2009
    • level: 3
    If you haven't seen the whole 2nd season, you don't understand the reason of these episodes that you considered filler, if you consider episode 4 Allison from Palmsdale a filler, then my god you missed the point of one of the most interesting points in the series. Who is Cameron? What is her story? I have nothing else to say when you call "arbitrary story" that's just enough to see what kind of viewer you are. All those characters are connected somehow, you'll have to see the entire season 2 to realise that. By the way it's Martin Bedel not Debell