Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Goodbye To All That

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 06, 2008 on FOX

• A Terminator is on the loose - Derek and John take one path to save a life. Sarah and Cameron take another.

The opening few scenes in "Goodbye" have a familiar look - a Terminator is searching for a human victim - a future resistance fighter. All the crew has is the name of one victim, Martin Bedell - and two more are listed in the phone directory, so they split up to head off the assassinations.

John and Derek head to a military school out in the Southern California foothills. How much I appreciate a production crew that takes the trouble to go on location, providing interesting backgrounds and story enhancements which are much more interesting than endless studio shots troubled by lighting fads and cheap set decoration. It's expensive, and demonstrates over and over that TSCC's backers are committed to quality.

Setting up the story, Derek relates in a number of flash-forwards that a cadet at the academy (will become)(has been in the future) a key member of the resistance, and a close associate of John. But they realize the T-888 will be searching him out, and, through having John enroll in the academy and Derek hired as a temp. Tach officer, they begin to lay a trap.

Sarah, meanwhile, barely rescues a young boy with the same name, in a frightening few scenes of high-caliber rounds splintering the front door, and Cameron driving the getaway car. The T-888 is one large fellow.

That pretty much tells the story - save two young men with the critical name. So you think you're going to see this play out in routine Terminator fashion, gaining some insight into John's future friend in the Resistance, and seeing Sarah confront some of her shortcomings as a mother, hardened as she is by constant vigilance and the urgency of escape. As the story nears a climax and Sarah is helping young Martin work on a school book report, they begin reading "The Wizard of Oz," and only then did I notice the amusing reference to author L. Frank Baum - John and Derek used "Baum" as their alias at the military academy. The woodlands trap for the approaching Terminator is set - the cadets all believing it's an exercise.

Sarah begins reading the finale of "Oz." The T-888 begins pursuing John; Derek begins his defensive pyrotechnics. Faster and faster, switching scenes from Sarah to John.

Finally, it hit me! The writers have had a stunning inspiration - the final paragraphs of "The Wizard of Oz" are used as a parable for the pursuit and destruction of the Terminator. All I could gasp was, "WOW!" A child's fairy tale (or is it?) is profound enough to stand in for narration of a desperate attempt to forestall the end of our civilization.

And as Derek and John drive away from the academy, John hears more about the future - when Martin will die for him. Unless, of course, John succeeds in his mission. So much weight, so much burden on him - his eyes fill with tears.

This is "exactly why I watch this series." Scripts and imaginative story-lines that far surpass most every drama on-screen. Compelling and intense relationships that make us care about the characters and their trials. Commitment to life and the preservation of a society. There is nothing else that compares to TSCC. Re-run rating A-.
  • Dieing for him..

That was beautiful episode and I liked the emotional level, the way they blend future and now and maybe made John to understand that he thinks there should be choice but in the end - he should follow the path taken and not question it so much -he has destiny and lately has been rebelling against it but that military camp seemed to be what he needed plus I hope he managed to get his skills up too.

Anyway, I did liked the Sarah's part too.. that little boy and having a kid around who acts like kid and has that warm inside and..
  • 'Goodbye To All That' is a fine example of why FOX needs to persevere with this show and give it time to grow. Good things come to those who wait, after all.

Episode five of The Thomas Dekker Show, 'Goodbye To All That' is certainly an improvement on the somewhat lacklustre 'Allison from Palmdale' and no, that's not because we get to see Dekker running around in combat fatigues and sweating a lot (and how about the way he effortlessly handles a firearm, eh? I wonder what else he's an expert at handling… ahem), and nor is it due to the show's fifty two minutes of brand spanking new entertainment, instead of the usual forty five. No, this instalment manages to grace the presence of the 8/10 league simply because it marries character development with plot development and, while slightly predictable in places, gives us access to emotions and perspectives that were previously only implied. Dekker and particularly Brian Austin Green get a chance to shine with some material that exposes their characters' inner-workings: the horror of their experiences, their fears, the tiring nature of what they do. Green's sequence with the trigger-happy cadets is spine-chillingly believable and their shared moment in the car toward episode's end perfectly pitched for optimum poignancy. It's good to see young John Connor given a level of depth that was previously lacking from the show, particularly in series one, and it only strengthens the viewer's belief in Dekker as a perfect representation of the role. On the flipside of the narrative coin, of course, we have Sarah's internal struggle with the ethics of kidnapping a young child, and her own insecurities at her suitability for parenthood, which certainly feel more worthwhile than last week's sojourn into mawkish flippancy in the form of the pregnancy storyline. While the plot itself didn't really do anything for the overall arc of the show – and in fact, didn't really go anywhere within the confines of the 52 minutes – I wasn't sufficiently frustrated by its pace that I wanted started throwing things at the TV, shouting "get Dekker's shirt off!" like I may previously have been inclined to. Which is probably a good thing. And then, of course, there are the glimpses into the Skynet-torn future (always a bonus), super bad ass Terminator dude going **** left, right and centre and a chance for Shirley Manson to do what she does best: keep her mouth shut and murder people in the most gut-wrenchingly sadistic way. Pity she did actually get some lines, otherwise we may have had a virtually perfect recipe on our hands… as it stands though, 'Goodbye To All That' is a fine example of why FOX needs to persevere with this show and give it time to grow. Good things come to those who wait, after all.
  • Excellent acting!

My only pet peeve about this show is how they managed to just drive up to a military school (and base?) with a truck full of guns, and managed to fake their ID's into the army.

Regardless of that, I had to say this episode solidified my appreciation for Brian Austen Green. I wasn't so sure about him when I found out he was acting in this series, but surely, over time, I have been greatly impressed by his acting. His thousand-yard-stare, as a seasoned war veteran, who has seen a lot of terrible things, was very well done. He made you believe he had actually seen battle and death. His acting alone, made this show one of the best of the series so far.
  • Review.

John and Derek protect a future member of the resistance at a military academy, and Weaver gives Ellison his first assignment. Just watched this episode, I think it is by far one of the strongest episodes of the second season. Glad to see I'm not alone in think this glad it's rated highly.

The Derek and John storyline in this episode was awesome, there was plenty of action towards the end of the episode with the T-888 chasing Derek and then John risked his life, it was great.

There was some good flaskbacks or flashforwards I dont get how that works in this show.

Sarah and Cameron was good aswell at the begining of the episode where they saved the kid. I still dont like that women from garbage shes a garbage actress.

All in all this was a really strong episode of the show with plenty of action. 9.5 out of 10.
  • John and Derrek go to a military camp to try and protect Martin Bedell, a future solider for the resistance. Sarah and Cameron protect the other mistaken Martin Bedell's from the new introduced terminator.

Let me start by saying that half this episode was very well made, and quite adventurous, while the other half seemed dull. What really shines in this episode is the overall premise of the episode. John and Derrek's role in the episode was highly interesting and entertaining.

What really bugged me about this episode though, is that once again Sarah Conner is stuck to what it seems like "babysitting" another dull or should I say pointless character. It's starting to bug me, she should be out there in the action instead of helping a useless character. The writers of the show try to put meaning into adding that character by having a conclusive end statement with this new character, but once again it feels pointless.

Another thing that I found in this episode is that Cameron seemed very distant. She didn't have much screen time and all the time she was on screen her dialogue was mostly boring and unintelligent. I would really like to she her more in the action in the next episodes, like it was before.

I'm giving this episode a 7.5/10 because I believe that they could have given a more meaningful role to Cameron and Sarah. It's a good watch, but nothing like previous episodes in the season.
  • Saving Private Martin.

My only qualms with this episode is the lack of Cameron, but since she was the highlight last week, it's ok. So instead we see more of Reese.

This was actually somewhat intense for the show, as I actually felt uncertain as to the outcome of the fight with the Terminator, but when Reese reveals that Martin sacrificed himself for John, it puts everything into a moving perspective. "Everyone dies for you." Was a chilling line to have to hear and I'm sure that would help shape me into the savior of the human race against the machines in the future.

The time spent with Sarah and the other Martin was interesting and neat when the story telling intersected the action with the terminator, as seems to be a theme in this series. And I really enjoy that.

Overall, one of the best episodes of the season and I hope, after great ones like this, that this show does not get canceled.
  • That's more like it...

This episode was a very big improvement for me, mainly because the writers finally gave John something to do and let him go on the mission with Derek. It was good to see Derek, I was a little dissapointed we didn't see him last week. This episode was action packed and it showed John taking one more step to becoming the leader of the resistance and I think it is very important have that in the series because that is what it is all about. I don't have problem with a new terminator being introduced every once and a while and killed of in the same episode, just as long as it doesn't happen on a weekly basis. My favorite part would have to be John and Derek at the end when Derek said something like "He died for you, We all died for you." That was very emotional.
  • John and Derek enroll in a military school in order to protect a future member of the resistence. Sarah and Cameron protect an innocent child in the proccess.

This may have been the best episode of Terminator, it offered everything, action as well as a great human interest story, with stellar performances from Lena Headey, Thomas Dekker, and Brian Austin Green.

I hope that this can be the episode that will save this show, because it saved it for me, I was luke warm on this show but then Brian Austin Green showed up and I thought his character offered a human perspective on the future by someone from the future, which is what I liked about the first Terminator movie. This episode did one better it showed that John cold be tougher, and understand more of what is expected of him, and deliver.

Sarah's storyline showed her getting to be a mom, to do the simple things, when she read with little Martin she offered such a warm side that she has forced herself to hide, very similar to when the show first started, Lena is an incredible actress.

Derek was impressive as well, not just in his car ride home speech, but in how Green takes the simplest things and shows us how someone who has lived hsi life would see it.

I hope that this is the epidoe that will save this series.
  • Close to termination.. dum dum daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. keep up with the nice story though.

This episode isn't bad. I especially liked the part where John finally got to sorta fight back. Sarah goes to rescue a child which surprisingly was concerned more about his book report than seeing his mother again. weird. The "being-in-the-house-alone" did show that Marty was kind of you can count on kid but still.. he's still a kid. overall this episode had a nice story. Now! On serious matters, FOX is considering cancelling the show because it doesn't have enough views, I think the problem is people or maybe viewers were expecting to see more metal than skin in this TV Show. However, they must have stopped reading after TERMINATOR because after that says The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The Terminators does make the TV Show cool but its really supposed to be about Sarah Connor. My thought is however.. give them more Metal, more gun slinging Terminator, heck, if they could bring in Robocop. hehe
  • I've been hearing a lot of reports that this show is dangerously close to being canceled. I really hope this isn't true because this show has so much potential.

I've been hearing a lot of reports that this show is dangerously close to being canceled. I really hope this isn't true because this show has so much potential. But that hasn't stopped FOX in the past. Does anyone remember Firefly and the severely under appreciated Point Pleasant. At least they've had the good sense of extending their order from 13 episodes to 22 episodes for Fringe However, hearing talk of cancellation gets me thinking about the show's end game. How DOES Josh Friedman see the show ending. I mean, I honestly can only see the show ending the same way as Terminator 3 did or something similar to that. To end it in a completely different way would be nonsense.

Anyway, about this episode. This could easily the best episode so far. A couple episodes give it a run for it's money, but in my opinion it's the best so far. If this show has done anything it has done a great job of extending the already existing mythology or creating new mythology. This episode gives us a big glimpse into the future and it was so cool. We get to learn a lot more about Derek and John learns something big about what kind of person he is in the future. How would you react to find out that in the future there are people who are willing to die for you. that's some pretty heavy stuff.

I've never really paid much attention to the score, but I really noticed it in this episode and I thought it was beautiful.

One other thing I have to mention is at the end when John and Derek are fighting the 888 and back at home Sarah and a boy she saved are reading The Wizard of Oz and it's like the story is providing the narration for the fight. It was a very well done scene and it was very powerful.
  • Derek and John seek and protect an important member of the resistance, while Sarah gets motherly with a child who was caught in the crossfire. Cameron gets little air time.

10/07/08 05:08pm | report abuse

What a fantastic episode, I really like how the 'present time' storyline is connected to the 'future', with more future flashbacks.

It was a little disappointing how there was no carry-on from last week's episode of Cameron and her memory meltdown, I guess the writers are saving that for an episode of its own.

I have to say, the best thing about the episode was the character development. With Sarah and the other Martin Bedell, and how he reminds her what it's like to be a mum. It was good to see that John wasn't running away from everything (well, there was a little running) and his courage when distracting the terminator when it was about to kill Bedell. He is definitely growing to be the leader of the human resistance.

I liked how this episode was a little more emotional than most episodes. Definitely one of the best episodes I've seen from this series.

Kudos to the writers and actors! A job well done!
  • Another winner for the struggling series

This show has certainly taken its licks this season. Despite supplying one of the best episodes of the series last week, the ratings continued to scrape the bottom of the barrel, prompting rumors of impending cancellation. Some are already calling this the next "Firefly", but the situation is dramatically different; this series made it past the first season on its strengths. The problem is that it's not failing on its weaknesses, either.

This episode is another good example of what works. Pairing John and Derek for a mission to protect a future resistance soldier was a stroke of genius, because both characters were explored in equal measure as a result. It's important to show John taking some steps towards leadership and discipline (never mind using those skills acquired from his mother), and Derek has a vested interest in making sure John is on the right path.

At the same time, Derek's reactions to John have been just right. In Derek's time, John is a strong and capable leader, the kind of man that anyone would die for (and many have). He's a confident presence and a symbol of enduring resistance. But the John Connor that lives in the "present" is still unsure of himself and rebelling against the knowledge of his future role. Even if the Future John had told stories of his misbegotten youth, reality can't be kind for Derek Reese.

Neither has the war, and this is depicted well in the episode. Derek's character is the touchstone to the dangers of fighting the machines without human compassion. The war has hardened Derek, and he struggles with perspective. In contrast to Cameron, Derek weighs the human element, but he's colder than Sarah or John. It's that quality that continues to keep Derek in questionable territory; he may still have an agenda of his own.

Ironically, Derek's rough edges expose the one fundamental problem with the series: Sarah Connor. This is the second episode in a row where Sarah is dealing with a largely emotional situation, and it plays counter to the familiar elements of the character. While this Sarah has never been the Sarah Connor from the films, one would still expect her to be closer to Derek than John in temperament. Certainly John acts like Sarah has been more than Derek. It's the apparent contradiction that the writers still haven't tackled well.

On the other hand, I like where the Weaver/Ellison subplot is going. She's playing him very well, which in turn points to a consistent explanation for Cromartie's decision to let Ellison live. The obvious conclusion was that Ellison would end up helping SkyNet, and Weaver's gambit appears to be the process by which that happens. That said, there's still a chance, based on the implications of this episode, that Weaver is not working to aid SkyNet's creation, and that Ellison's road to personal damnation is more complicated than we've been led to believe.

Unfortunately, because of the ratings situation (and for that matter, the possibility of a SAG strike), we may never know what the writers were intending. I hope that FOX shows patience, however, because this show is far better than the ratings would otherwise indicate.