Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Self Made Man

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 01, 2008 on FOX

• What? Hold on a second. Eh? Rewind that back to the start for me would ya… I'm not sure I quite believe what I've just sat through.

What? Hold on a second. Eh? Rewind that back to the start for me would ya… I'm not sure I quite believe what I've just sat through. Thirty minutes of Cameron talking to a bone cancer victim about suspected terminators, suicide and donuts? Fifteen minutes of John and Riley being teenagers and, like, making out and stuff? Really? Is that ALL 'Self-Made Man' gave us? Are you sure? I just don't want to believe it. After all the interesting developments in the over-arching plot that occurred in last week's episode, you'd at least expect some form of pay off somewhere. Guess again. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Toni Graphia's episode actually manages to have absolutely no relevance to anything that's happened in the past few weeks AT ALL, and also does nothing to advance any other existing plot in any way, shape or form (oh come on… we all knew John and Riley were doing the naughty). That's no mean feat, guys. Complete and utter irrelevance is difficult to achieve. Oh sure, this is all nicely executed; the cinematography and attention to detail in the construction of the mock-newsreel footage, radio broadcasts and all the other mediums that Cameron and her disabled friend use to piece together Stark's life is impeccable and looks fantastic… but did it not just bore the **** pants off you? The viewer solves the 'mystery' that the pair work through in about ten seconds flat at the start of the episode, so we spend the remainder twiddling our thumbs, waiting for, like, the relevance to kick in. Which it never does. Ever. And no, I don't care about Cameron's emotional development. She's a freaking robot. And I care even less about John and Riley. As the oh-so-wise Bis once said, 'give me action and drama and less of this inane, pointless drivel'. Okay, so they only said the first bit but I bet that's what they would say if they were sat down with this episode. Honest.