Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Today is the Day (1)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 13, 2009 on FOX

• Truth and consequences

With this episode, the resolution phase of the season begins in earnest, as Jesse's plan to drive a wedge between John and Cameron comes to its fruition. Riley's death may have been a bit premature and it may have taken place in an unanticipated way, but it still serves Jesse's interests. This episode is about the expected fallout from the news of Riley's death, particularly the suspicion thrown on Cameron and Jesse's psychological issues with her conscience.

John is willing to trust Cameron at her word, but he does have his doubts. Cameron's recent behavior sets the stage for their assumptions, but her own defense is scattered and inadequate. There were any number of things that Cameron could have said or done to prove her innocence, and even if the Connors were doubtful, it's all circumstantial. All it took was a cursory inspection of Riley's body to convince John that Cameron wasn't involved (at least, that's how I intercept his expression in the morgue).

In the meantime, Derek is willing to assume that Cameron killed Riley, and that she'll have to be dealt with, but he also seems to realize that Jesse's story doesn't track. One can imagine that Sarah, John, and Derek will have it out regarding Cameron, and Derek will come to the realization that Jesse's comments were a bit too on the nose. This is not particularly surprising, so one can hope that the writers have some twists and turns to bring to the table.

One might expect that Jesse's "flashbacks" would explain both the differences between her future and Derek's future (since they've all but admitted they come from different timelines) and her obsession with Cameron. While a general distrust of "metal" makes sense, Jesse's actions have always seemed a bit personal. This particular mission could explain quite a bit about Jesse's motivations since her arrival.

The portions of the episode devoted to the Connors, Cameron, Derek, and Jesse were mostly setup for the second part of this story, so none of it felt particularly out of place. It was the logical extension of what had come before. The scenes with Ellison, Weaver, and John Henry, on the other hand, felt out of left field. This is a continuation of Ellison's mandate to teach John Henry human ethics, which still doesn't quite equate in terms of the development of SkyNet. In proximity with the more portentous plot threads, it must hold some vital importance, but the meaning is somewhat elusive at this point.
  • At last, The Sarah Connor Chronicles delivers a plot that actually engages its audience.

At last, The Sarah Connor Chronicles delivers a plot that actually engages its audience. While a regrettably large proportion of the contemporary plot is spent chin-stroking about what to do with the supposedly guilty Cameron (surely someone as combat-ready and impulsive as Sarah would just end her?!), there's enough mystery, intrigue and believable tension-filled conflict in the 2027 sequences to keep the episode afloat. It's nice to see Jesse's back story fleshed out a bit and there are some genuine surprises to be found on-board the USS Jimmy Carter. Oh and the hide and seek game between Savannah and John Henry, while pure filler, is at least mildly amusing. Nothing special, you understand, and still guilty of over-egging the 'art house' element (how many times do we need to see Jesse immersing herself in water and curling up into the foetal position? Really, we get the analogy), but a definite turn in the right direction.
  • Riley is dead, Sarah and Derek are sure that Cameron did it. But John wants to believe that in Cameron and is not so sure. John stands up to his mother when she tries to turn him against Cameron.

I loved this episode, It is one of my favorites of the series so far. If you watch it just for action then you would be disappointed with this episode. But if you like the intensity of the unknown and watching the characters develop more, like I do, then this is an episode that you will very much enjoy.
    The tension between Sarah and Cameron grew with Sarah finding out that Riley is dead and being for sure that Cameron is the one that killed her, with John standing up to his mother and defending Cameron.
    John began to find his own way, and began to stand on his own two feet in this finally starting the process of becoming John Connor leader of the resistance.
  • And then there were five...

I really hope I am wrong and Terminator will have a third season. I hope anyway. Since we won't know for a little while longer I've been treating every episode like this will be the last season, and that the series is moving towards an end. I still have no idea where that end is, but thats part of what makes this show so great. I can't say Im disappointed about seeing Riley go. Actually I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier, but as always the show adds some sort of twist to events. Cameron is believed to be the one to have killed her. The bigger question is what is John going to do about it? The two had some really akward momements in this episode, including a very weird phone call. Cameron is clearly broken and how well this will play into the remainin episodes it is hard to say. I have no idea why Jesse's story of the future is important. Granted the submarine was pretty cool and all, but I still have no idea what Jesse is up to and that puzzles me. I thought her plan was brilliant to use Riley like that, but if John won't destroy Cameron, then what is her next move? Fortunately the episode is a two part affair, so we might find out more about the sub next week. The moment that I liked the most in this episode was when Cameron told Sarah that everyone is a threat to John. To this point, everyone has made at least one mistake that has put John in danger. Future John appearently can't put his trust into anyone and remains alone. This trait was greatly expressed by John visiting the morgue to see Riley's body at the end of the episode. Im still wondering about how it will make him change though as he still doesn't know about Jesse and Derek's involvement with her.

Cromartie/John Henry little game was very amusing, but Im starting to lose my patience with Weaver and Ellison too for that matter. Why isn't any of this sounding alarm bells in Ellison's head? He already know enough about robots from the future so the fact that he continues to be involved in this bugs me. Weaver also is starting to bug me as well. I've been asking questions about her motives for a long while. I really hope we get an answer to some of these questions very soon. The season is almost over.
  • The show picks up momentum while closing the Riley sub-plot and also explaining why Connor is going solo by the time of Terminator 3.

The Good:
    -- Jessie continues to develop as a character. While not a sympathetic character, she is interesting to watch.
    -- Young John is going to have to continue growing up and figure out his way more than just not accepting his mother or uncle's world views.
    -- An interesting question is whether Cameron is actually supposed to be 'feeling' or is she telling John what she thinks he needs to hear to ensure his survival.
    -- The future storyline with Jessie was more compelling than the one from the present.

The Not So Good:
    -- Derek just doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife.
    -- How long will it take for Agent Ellison to figure out there is something seriously askew with the female T-1000?

Good ep all in all.
    Until next week, BK13
  • too little too late

this was an average episode. if this was an episode among many good ones that would be ok but this is an average episode among many boring and dull ones.

I've rode that they've shot the whole season already and there's no way our critisism is going to help with anything unless there is a third season ( which i'm not sure if i want)

the chronicles of jesse.. sorry, sarah connor, continiues as sarah does housework (even desperate housewives are having more adventure than she does) and looking to walls and talking to his son. his son is,.. well, thinking. cameron (yea the cyborg girl) is talking to birds (which would be a great touch in a good episode but left as a hollow shining point of an average episode)

instead of anything that made us love the show, we watch that jesse to go into a chickfight and kill the only more annoying character then herself in the show, trying to cover it up and dump it on cameron while we watch her in the future in a submarine and left with the promise of a conclusion about her origins which could have been told probably without a single arc instead of a whole season.

and. T1000 opens up a facebook account and plays with another cyborg (which, again, was actually nice scenes)

that was about it. they talked and talked and talked around the same house; one word: dull.
  • Sarah, John, and Derek suspect Cameron in Riley's death. In the future, Jesse begins a submarine voyage with a Metal captain, who alters course. Ellison and Weaver must play games with the AI to find the missing Savannah.

We love this show! The photography is so good, the tension is high for the entire cast, foreboding is always present, the stories take unexpected turns, the cyborgs compel one to watch them closely to see how they respond. Ms. Glau's portrayal is so subtle and effective, we find ourselves projecting emotions and thoughts into that electronic brain. And as of this writing, "Today" is the highest-rated episode of the season - that's good news.

The big surprise in the script was an expansion of Jesse's story in 2027, as the lead human on a nuclear sub used by the Aussie resistance to transport supplies across the Pacific. Perhaps this subplot will lead to an explanation of how and why she time-traveled to the present. The "metal" ship's captain was well-played, having his own agenda and taking the sub off-course to a platform to pick something up...from cyborgs! Some great plot elements here, raising many questions about who...why...how? "Today" is part One of Two, so I would expect this subplot to be the one resolved in next week's episode.

Cameron comes under suspicion by almost everyone as Riley's killer. But to John's credit, he questions Cameron closely, and, while seeming to doubt her declaration of innocence, he still tells Sarah later that he believes that she was not involved. And Sarah's confrontation with Cameron over the salvaged cyborg parts cache gave some interesting insight into Cameron's view of her mission - it overrides direct instructions from the Connors. And her position on the danger to John from any other person - he's safer alone, she asserts - seemed to have an effect on Sarah, making me wonder if this is a tipoff to someone else leaving the cast.

As I expected, Riley's disappearance results in a need for the Connors to clear out, fast. The brief scene with the Connors' neighbor was just a plot device to inform them about the discovery of Riley's body - rather careless of Jesse to dispose of it in the L.A. River. However, Riley is truly a "Jane Doe," as she was tagged in the morgue - no identity, no history, no family. But to slow any investigation, John and Cameron use a ruse to convince the foster family that Riley lives. That was a great scene - pulled me right into believing that Cameron was working on her own, especially when she ad-libbed her impersonation of Riley's voice to get John to react even more convincingly in front of the foster dad. I love what the writers and director are doing here.

John's break-in at the morgue to see Riley's body showed much more about how he felt about her. I thought his examination of her hand would reveal to him that she had battled her assailant, evidence that would rule out Cameron, who would simply take out Riley with one shot from a distance. We may yet see how good his forensic ability is. But Derek is still concealing Jesse's existence and suspecting "the cyborg" in the killing - so the family secrets are endangering everyone.

We finally saw Ellison expressing some emotion, dealing impatiently with the AI-John Henry game of hide-and-seek with little Savannah. That was scary, but intriguing to see the AI take control of the building doors, elevator, and lighting to lure Savannah to the lab. Weaver seemed unconcerned about the AI's game-playing, while Ellison was agitated about it's refusal to answer direct questions. The AI consciousness expands.

"Today" is a series classic, I'll keep it on the DVR for awhile for more viewings. Re-run rating B+.
  • Turningt point..

That was good for sure.. I really liked the story developments, some great char developments and dynamics.. they way everything is falling apart. John trusts Cameron but after the thing with phonecall.. who knows.. Sarah is totally against her and now everything seems to be turned against her.

I really wonder what they flash forwards to future are about. What is on the box?

I think this episode is some kind of breaking point or so.. they are going in one direction and I am not sure what is coming out of it.. the thing is sure - nothing is same..

And to be honest, I really start getting tired of Jesse.. whatever she is plotting - it's time to put it on action.

And poor John.. the last scene in morgue..
  • well, it's about time!

Finally! The show is getting back to its roots, and in the nick of time, too! If I had to watch another dream sequence, or have to deal with any more of Sarah's nightmares, I was going to spend my time doing something else instead. It was a disgrace the way the show was heading in the recent past. But this episode, as well as the previous, is right back into the Terminator genre.

Thankfully, we're back to good old-fashioned Terminator suspense. Man against machine. John Connor as the last hope of mankind, and the intrigue surrounding him - who is friend, who is foe? Good stuff, at long last!