Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Lost Rip-Off: blatant or coincindental?

Rip-Off?

Yaspaa

[21]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 79
    Not even remotely like lost. Plus, teenager in stressful environment equals angry teenager. Great show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TracyTrouble

[22]Oct 7, 2011
    • level: 10
    Yeah, I have to agree with you ajohan; I was really hoping the razor dinosaur would eat him or one of the brontosauruses would just stand on him. Sadly neither happened.

shamrat

[23]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 13

Nothing like Lost whatsoever. You sure you watching the same programme?

TracyTrouble

[24]Oct 10, 2011

mumbalia3 wrote:
    First, if Terra Nova is set in a different time stream, how do the equations written on the rocks lead to "controlling" the future? Wouldn't the future be an actual new future where nothing is predetermined?

I think the actual equation is meant to make it possible for people to return to the time they came from. To tell the others in the future that 'someone' (governments, perhaps?) are trying to control the past to control the *new* future that's being created by Terra Nova. However this is from the anarchist faction the sixers, so I would argue that anything they say is coloured by their hate of authority.

:
    Second, on a related note (since Terra Nova is in a different timestream) how do they communicate with the future? Doesn't this seem like important questions to at least be addressed in the show? I'm not tuning out yet, but these questions combining with the obvious family dynamic that seems totally forced lead to this show seemingly being not thought out very well.

I think they way they communicate is through a data stream sent through the anomaly. Granted quantum physics is not my thing, but I would assume that the information being sent back is going 'one way' so to speak as is the info coming to them. Therefore it would be fairly easy to assume that the information and the stream itself (as a constant thing) would safe from any major alterations by the anomaly. Additionally it could be that the anomaly, if passed through twice in it's current form, could cause serious problems to the living DNA (cancers, physical abnormalities), but that anything else - equipment or data streams - would be safe. I think you're trying to read too much science *fact* into a premise that's based purely on science *fiction*. When it comes to entertainment show the phrase 'suspending your disbelief' is key.

aidorrocks

[25]Oct 10, 2011
    shamrat wrote:

Nothing like Lost whatsoever. You sure you watching the same programme?

i agree totally. this is nothing like lost except for the fact that there's lots of trees surrounding them. i've just come from another site where someone said that terra nova is a "complete rip off of the movie pitch black" i think a lot of people see what they want to see and a lot of the time they're completely wrong. i mean lost & pitch black are nothing like each other and both of them are nothing like terra nova.

i'm not in love with this show yet (only seen the pilot) but i'll watch for a while & make an educated decision as to whether its worth watching or not. but what i won't do is make silly comparisons to other shows.

mumbalia3 wrote:

This lasts maybe one season, and then everybody realizes that it is easier to watch Lost reruns than wait for answers from a show that will not last long enough to give real answers.

i'm relatively sure that if terra nova gets cancelled after the 1st season, we'll still get more answers than we did from the entirety of lost. if we take it episode by episode, terra nova is way ahead of lost in giving answers. for a start, we know why they are there by the end of the 1st episode, unlike lost!

why anybody would want to watch reruns of lost is beyond me.

ionee24

[26]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 32

blazer666_uk wrote:
    Why do people keep saying "oh this or that is like lost" this is NOTHING like LOST...

I honestly believe it's because of the ratings, each time a new show hits the 9 to 11 million viewers mark people tend to think its because its like Lost.

The truth is, Terra Nova is its own story that hit the right ingredients and has a solid performance better than Falling Skies, V or The Event did.

teamslapstick

[27]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 2
    I don't think I've ever heard so much nonesense in all my life! Some people really need to actually watch a show rather than just assuming they know what it's going to be like. For example, "Complete rip off of Pitch Black"? One episode featured a swarm of flying creatures. THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE ENTIRE SHOW THE SAME. Like Lost - It's set in a jungle, that is all. If that's the reasoning you have then you're going to find a lot of shows similar to lost. I heard about this one show, it's called "How I met your mother", it's got a group of people, there's a mystery and they have flashbacks and flashforwards. It must be a rip off of Lost!

Clown.

Kastigador

[28]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 4

About all this show has in common with Lost is it's set in a jungle and it's sci-fi. I couldwrite pagespointing outthe differences, but the point is I think most people are assimilating and regurgitatinga media message that this show had a goal of beinga big success likeLost while pointing out some of the surface similarities(Jungle, Sci-fi). But really...I don't find it even find itremotely as engrossing. As a whole, the actingfeels hokey and shallow. I think the whole scatter shot approach of attempting to appeal to every audience means there's a good chunk of the dialogue in every episode that makes me feel like I'm watching some tweener show on ABC family. This is prolly good for families, but disappointing for someone like that wants adult focused sci-fi. I don't per se think the show should be cancelled or anything, but it's definitely a show I could care less about with the amazing amount ofshows out there these days that I enjoy far more.

You can make an argument this show borrows elements from any show, movie,book, play, song... whatever... it's all artistic inspiration, recombination etc. The plot and narrative may be borderline cliche sci-fi these days, but when you spend so much money on special effects and a bunch of headline grabbing producers, it's no surprise they didn't take any chances there, particularly with the broad appeal they're going for.

rperaz01

[29]Oct 27, 2011

Lost never came to my mind while watching the series premiere. There are only so many basic plots in literature that reoccurring themes does happen. Catching up on the remaining episodes and do see some potential for decent plot and character development. I think pilots are designed to grab a wide audience so then what is liked and not liked can be changed about. I don't think any show can truly be judged on its merits by the plot alone. And please, don't keep comparing shows to Lost... V had more intrigue.

ionee24

[30]Oct 28, 2011
    • level: 32

Kastigador wrote:

About all this show has in common with Lost is it's set in a jungle and it's sci-fi. I couldwrite pagespointing outthe differences, but the point is I think most people are assimilating and regurgitatinga media message that this show had a goal of beinga big success likeLost while pointing out some of the surface similarities(Jungle, Sci-fi).

Lost was a character drive drama that revealed itself as a Sci fi show around season 4.

Terra Nova, on the other hand, it's a plot driven Sci fi show since the get go(there's dinosaurs and time travel for pete sakes!).

These two shows couldn't be more different.

kanniballl

[31]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 18

It reminds me of Earth 2, a show from maybe a decade back. Actually, oddly enough a couple of recent shows have reminded me of Earth 2: Falling Skies and Outcasts/

Family goes to far away place to start life anew. Said place FINALLY has a breathable atmosphere and room to stretch your legs.

Kids are present, complicating matters and having kid-like storylines. They do stupid stuff that endangers others.

One of the main characters is "here" when they shouldn't have been (either back in the future or back on the ship).

There are other people in this place... some dangerous and some just misunderstood.

Differing philosophies between defense + might, and let's just survive as a community.

Love triangles and other romantic complications.

Someone from "back home" is monitoring things and pulling strings. Communicating with people "here"

The lead person might not be meshing that well with either his #2 or one of the main casts. Trust, differing philosophies, etc.

Some strange unexplained stuff going on. In TN, what is up with the scientist writing stuff (if it is him writing it), in E2 the whole alien thing.

Banishing people that are a danger to the core group.

EdmundAllen

[32]Jan 18, 2012
    terra nova is rip off a 1970's series called land of the lost where a family get sent back in time to when dinosaurs ruled the world. there was a film of the same name based the 1970's series with will farrell.