Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for "Bylaw" *****Spoilers*****

Dawnsdinosaurs

[1]Oct 30, 2011
    • level: 40

Please discuss the episode here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 27
    Soso episode, but next one looks good!

wwworldclique

[3]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 4
    Dumb writing strikes again. The murderer who confesses to the killing eventually admits he was lying to protect his wife, because he thought she was the murderer. How on earth could he have come to that conclusion? By what stretch of the imagination could this woman have committed a crime of that nature?

mattgus

[4]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 14
    i swear not that anyone is likely to read this...but i am right at the part where the "killer" leaves tara nova...not only did i know he was innocent,but i knew he was covering and wrong...the discussion with the wife "ever hear of a false confession" was bad writing because there could have been better drama leading up to the possibility...anyway our hero is too good an actor to be stuck with such a bad bunch of scrips...

mattgus

[5]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 14
    and...the fact that there are no jails is absurd. tn has been around too long, too many people not to have one. what if the murder was done by a woman or someone who was not able-bodied...banishment is stupid across the board...tired of the dictator and the angry father son thing...why are we suppose to believe that the community would allow a dictator. they already have a military police. it is hard to watch. the scripts don't allow for us to see the community at work. no meetings etc... no real sence of a community,neighborhood or anything but small stories and the people around them...where is the big picture. with this kind of story it is needed.

kanniballl

[6]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 18

mattgus wrote:
    and...the fact that there are no jails is absurd. tn has been around too long, too many people not to have one. what if the murder was done by a woman or someone who was not able-bodied...banishment is stupid across the board...tired of the dictator and the angry father son thing...why are we suppose to believe that the community would allow a dictator. they already have a military police. it is hard to watch. the scripts don't allow for us to see the community at work. no meetings etc... no real sence of a community,neighborhood or anything but small stories and the people around them...where is the big picture. with this kind of story it is needed.

I'm only of the people on the East coast still without power so I haven't seen the episode yet. But by what you say...

Actually, IN THIS WEIRD SCENARIO of being a lonely colony in the past unable to send people back to civilization... banishment makes sense (though it's a bit inhumane).

A prisoner means a drain on resources in a wilderness. The person would be sitting in a jail getting fed while not working. Then you have to use some soldiers to guard the guy, so they're doing very little and getting fed. Then you have the electricity going to the building to house them. Unlike regular prisons, you'd have no rational way for even trying to rehabilitate them.

I'd imagine that depending on the crime, such a place might just use minor offenders (petty theft and such) as forced volunteers for the cruddy jobs, like we have now, and maybe cutting their rations. Obviously not picking up trash along the highway, but maybe stuff like working at the sewage area or digging ditches.

Banishing a murderer in THAT SINGLE SCENARIO almost makes sense... a killer may kill again, so by keeping them you endanger the rest of the group.

Your opinion on injured / mamed / elderly / etc people being banished isn't that much different than what happens now. The weak, fat, disabled, etc go through HELL in the US penal system. Either they have a high mortality rate or have a high risk of going through the cliche hellish prison experience.

Meanwhile, there's always the likely scenario that banished offenders would be picked up by the Sixers... if for no other reason that the person would be loyal to them and would thus tell them everything they know (which might be more/different than their spies have access to).

I don't agree with it, but it's not as crazy as it sounds.

wwworldclique

[7]Nov 1, 2011
    mattgus wrote:
    banishment is stupid across the board...

You know what was especially stupid about the banishment? That all Taylor did was basically give the Sixers another recruit, lol...

dif_frent

[8]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 10
    I once called "the son" moronic. Now, he is a traitor, too.

Another dumb thing is saving that hatching out dinosaur. They are so careful not to kill dinosaurs so that the future wouldn't be changed. By rescuing the dinosaur, however, they changed the futute the same way as they would have done by killing another.

haldrey

[10]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 22
    Average episode, lame at times. I do hope they do not turn this show into a common police show, just in a different environment.

kanniballl

[11]Nov 2, 2011

haldrey wrote:
    Average episode, lame at times. I do hope they do not turn this show into a common police show, just in a different environment.

I don't think they'll turn it into "Jurassic Precinct," but considering the main character is/was a cop I imagine it's going to at least partially play into a number of storylines. Perhaps not the full focus, but having him notice something a Grunt might not due to his detective skills or using deduction more than the leader.

kanniballl

[13]Nov 2, 2011

I finally caught the episode last night from iTunes.

It was alright... I actually liked it more than the other episodes (which other than the pilot, I had luke-warm feelings about). We got to see more of a group dynamic, shades of grey, etc.

They should've ended with more of a follow-up, like how Jim wasOK with banishing a confessed killer but perhaps not banishing someone that didn't confess and didn't have conclusive proof (plus no gun for defense). Maybe a conversation between him and his wife with him agreeing to some points. The soldier was right, he deserved a proper court martial.

I mean, right now when one of the prime suspects confesses (and doesn't contest it later) there's not much going on. They make sure his statement is legit and matches the evidence and that it's possible he could've done it... and they go straight to sentencing by a Judge (not a jury). Meanwhile, from what I understand the "investigation" into a confessed killer is usually fairly light... facts match up, he had motive, and it doesn't seem like he's lying.

I still stand by my previous statements about banishment, in this particular wacky scenario (living in the time of dinosaurs) it makes sense. If the guy is a killer, he's a danger. So either you waste very limited resources jailing the guy, as well as reduce your defense force to guard him, all-the-while hoping this person that doesn't contribute anything isn't going to escape and kill anyone... or you say "you made the call, now deal with it."

Obviously, the most humane thing would be to send him back to the future to be jailed (which they cannot do) or some sort of jungle prison. But survival is key, and doing all of that severely risks the survival of not only a colony but the human race.

Besides, the Sixers will probably find him and make him a deal.

Just_Jos

[14]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 11

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit.

Aegaeon_33

[15]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 8
    Just_Jos wrote:

Totally. I think this ep was a stepping stone to open up some of the larger moral and legal issues later on.

Prisons for a small colony make no sense. As said above they drain resources and accomplish nothing. Banishment is the most humane method to deal with a murderer i could think of. Unless they happened to have a very isolated island that was sustainable to drop everyone off on.

Taylor got a couple of chuckles out of me this ep and the shades of grey mentioned above were delivered nicely this week too- the extreme poles of the community coming together to catch a bad guy. Kinda nice. With a good ending to their collaboration.

I also thought the martial law aspect of the colony was obvious. Taylor is Governor and his word is law. TN is only 10 years old and barely self sustainable. In time the libertarians will cry for a charter of rights - not now - now these people are learning to survive in a hostile environment - their lives in the hands of the men with guns - for now, for the most part, they want the military in charge. These people from the future can't hunt, or forage, or survive as they've lived in a plastic bubble all their lives. I don't imagine the laws of 2049 are much better than TN. If you recall in ep1 those guys pretty much just walked into the apartment and ripped it apart under nothing more than 'suspicion'. I don't know where you live, but in Aus suspicion is not enough to gain a warrant.

JonathonWolf

[16]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 10
    Aegaeon_33 wrote:
    Just_Jos wrote:

Totally. I think this ep was a stepping stone to open up some of the larger moral and legal issues later on.

Prisons for a small colony make no sense. As said above they drain resources and accomplish nothing. Banishment is the most humane method to deal with a murderer i could think of. Unless they happened to have a very isolated island that was sustainable to drop everyone off on.

Taylor got a couple of chuckles out of me this ep and the shades of grey mentioned above were delivered nicely this week too- the extreme poles of the community coming together to catch a bad guy. Kinda nice. With a good ending to their collaboration.

I also thought the martial law aspect of the colony was obvious. Taylor is Governor and his word is law. TN is only 10 years old and barely self sustainable. In time the libertarians will cry for a charter of rights - not now - now these people are learning to survive in a hostile environment - their lives in the hands of the men with guns - for now, for the most part, they want the military in charge. These people from the future can't hunt, or forage, or survive as they've lived in a plastic bubble all their lives. I don't imagine the laws of 2049 are much better than TN. If you recall in ep1 those guys pretty much just walked into the apartment and ripped it apart under nothing more than 'suspicion'. I don't know where you live, but in Aus suspicion is not enough to gain a warrant.

I agree about the banishment thing. Some are also forgetting that Taylor had the option of mitigating the sentence. Taylor, Shannon, and the scientist all talk about it. In the event the criminal has some extenuating circumstances, I'm sure they would come to a different solution. We're also assuming they already have a detention facility. As for the court martial, Taylor is who would sit in judgment. For all we know, the colony could be considered under wartime conditions; so he has every right to perform a field court martial.

As was stated previously, the colony is a handful of people trying to build a foothold in a dangerous area. It's a government funded project, and Taylor was appointed to lead the colony. It makes sense to have one person in charge to ensure quick and decisive action in case an emergency situation occurred. Really, it's not that different that the situation in Stargate: Atlantis. And we've seen that Taylor gives the scientists a lot of play unless they want to do something that would jeopardize their lives or the colony.

As for the egg, the issue isn't affecting the future. They stated in the pilot that they have no fear of that since they see the new world as a separate universe. On another site, someone gave the idea that the sonic cannons are not meant to drive the dinosaurs off without harming them but to not have rotting carcasses at their doorstep attracting more predators. The dinosaurs aren't exactly afraid of humans, and it would only be a matter of time before one of them figured out a way to break through the perimeter fence.

I see the son as your typical rebellious teen. He thinks he's smarter than the adults, but he doesn't know how to get himself out of the situation he has gotten himself into. In his mind, he probably sees what he's doing as no different that what his parents did to get his dad and little sister there. In the case of working at the bar, Josh does have a point. He takes responsibility by getting a job, and his dad throws a fit. It probably feels like his dad is holding him back.

mermayd

[17]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 19
    I don't hate Josh like everyone else does, and Landon L is a pretty solid actor considering the tosh writing he has to deal with but Josh the character is a fool extraordinaire.

He watches someone get banished yet still commits what is effectively treason. I know teenagers have an incredible capacity to put their heads in the sand but still, he's asking to get slapped about by Taylor (and Jim).

it must be lurve.

Yaspaa

[18]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 79
    He wants his girl back, teenage boys in love will do anything, regardless of how dumb it is.

droid327

[19]Nov 22, 2011

Just caught up to this ep on my DVR....

My thoughts were the same when they banished the guy...wouldnt he just run straight to the Sixers? Or, even if the Sixers wouldnt take him for some reason (he knows theyd think he might be a spy from TN or something?), wouldnt he just likely end up trying to raid TN outposts for supplies or something at some point? I thought they were at least going to take him somewhere remote by vehicle first, not just close the gate behind him and tell him to shoo.

That being said, banishment is hardly a "death sentence". As Taylor pointed out, he survived for several months on his own, without even the benefit of the knowledge that they now have about the dinosaurs and the terrain. Its not like they're on Rura Penthe. Its not like they're even in an arid desert environment, they're in a lush forested area. Anyone with half a brain can survive if they keep their eyes up and their wits about.

What really got me was the wife's arguing against "frontier justice". Ma'am, you are ON the frontier!