Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for Genesis Part 1 & 2 ****Spoilers*****

Dawnsdinosaurs

[1]Sep 18, 2011
    • level: 40

Please discuss the episode here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SNL_Guy

[2]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 1

Geez people let the show air first before you bombard it with criticism. Considering what is on tv now I believe I could write better scripts and I have no experience what so ever! As for commercials I could pull a kid out of 3rd grade and have him write better ads!! I will allow for some creative talent ...the Avlac duck creator!!

Fireofnature

[3]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 13
    I'm just curious to see what this is about. Back in time or something?

skgserenity

[4]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 6

Full summary on the main page where it says: "Show Summary"

mattgus

[5]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 14
    well,i guess it as what i thought it was going to be with a secret that they gave part of away already? if i like something like most i know right away. i like o'mara so much and would like to see him on a great series,he is an awesome actor...but i am not blown away. nagging wiggle cam drives me nuts,and a pilot that had many boring and lame parts and storylines...never did get why the writers could not have come up with a better reason for son to be angry at dad...esp since mom was part of it and he was not mad at her...poorly done. and the important doc is allowed to go on dangerous mission so we have both parents who leave the 2 daughter alone after a day or 2...they have to do better with the writing for me to be interested...we have all seen spec effects and dinos galore...we need a great not just ok story! there is still hope and they have spent way too much $ on this to canc it soon. they will air what is done...i hope it is better...

mattgus

[6]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 14
    add... i think i liked the begining better,great effect,graphics. maybe should have stuck with a story at the bleak future???

KingofIPirates

[7]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 32
    Mediocre plot that got especially cheesy at times, at least the CGI was pretty good.

meee223

[8]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 8

When Sky takes her new friend and the others outside the perimeter, I just had to laugh. I mean, how dumb are those kids? She's been there for years, and obviously knows the dangers of the big bad dinosaurs. Heck, some bad ones gave a chase in the opening episode, so they are out and about in the daytime. I'd be scared as hell to head outside of the perimeter, and I'd think those kids would be too. I guess they are the bravest kids in that world! At the end of the show, her dad should have given her hell and told her how stupid she was, and he didn't. If these kids have no sense, I wonder what other dumb things they will do. And yep, the show is kind of cheesy. When the kids were trapped in the vehicle and being attacked, it's supposed to be suspensefull, but again, I couldn't help but go from chuckling to laughing.

blackmage8472

[9]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 15

Ok, originally I thought it reminded me of the movie Avatar, a lot of special effect with no real story behind it. But they added in a bit of Lost so it's kinda interesting. Can't say I'm on the edge of my chair and it hasn't been my favorite new show but it does show definite potential.

The biggest criticism I have so far is I think they're moving a few plot lines too quickly. The strange symbols, it would have been nice if they let them linger for a couple of episodes. I know they didn't tell us a lot but they could have dished it out slower.

SlidingKat

[11]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 5
    I liked it. Yeah there were a few spots that had my eyes rolling, but easily forgiven. Setting was great. Those tail whips were wicked!

Have to admit I'm a bit confused by the dialog referencing an alternate time stream, but than the contradiction in the season preview talking about using the past to change the future.

Two main groups and a third person all in conflict...I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.

honorablechoice

[12]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 3
    I think this was an awesome beginning! I love the show, and have high hopes for future episodes..

Only complaint.. Not too sure how I like those drawings they found coming into play.. "they are they key to everything" Or w/e was said.. I think the show if it was just bases on them creating a new civilization and the aventures/troubles in there of with the surroundings, etc.. And that other group the "6s" that splintered away, etc.. I think that is more then enough.. The drawings bit is just a weird addition and should have been avoided. There is already enough mystery and adventure, just seems silly, and overdone in that regard.

I will say this though.. The choice for the leader.. AWESOME! THAT DUDE FROM THE MOVIE AVATAR IS A GREAT CHOICE! And the guy they picked for the dad is also really good.. Shame they couldn't get the guy who played wolverine, haha.. But ah well.. Next best.. I do think they wife should show a little more love for her husband.. That part about sleeping in different rooms.. Common.. Dude just got out of prison! Wheres the love?

But yeah.. In all things.. Keep is serious.. And allow for an impact in sights seen and journeys taken along the way to be shown in the characters mentality and behaviour.. For example.. Where the That guys son saw people die and had to shoot at/fight off those creatures.. He is not a hardened military vet, so it should show on him how that would effect.. Bad dreams.. some PTSD, etc.. In other words.. Keep it realistic, and serious.. With the adventure and combat level high! I mean.. Dinosaurs.. A rogue splinter group.. Who knows what else! Bring it on!

GREAT SHOW!

Slash_out

[13]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 5
    The alternate time stream is easily explainable.
    It's one of the time traveling theories.

The most popular ones would be:
    - The one where you go back in time, and everything you do, will have an impact on the futur. Meaning there is one straight line, and everything is on that line, if you change something on the line, everything after that is somewhat affected. So by going back in time, you can fix/influence things.

- The one (used in the show) where going back to the past, effectively brings you back at the same world you were in when you left (with the obvious fact that you are earlier in the timeline of that world), however a new time line opens from the point you appeared in the world. Kinda like a fork, with one road continuing as if you never came back in time, completly unafected by your time travel and what you will do from now on, and the one where you did come back in time, in which you are. There you woll have an impact on the futur, but anything you do will not fix the world in the timeline you came from, it will just change the futur of your new timeline.

Anyway, I am also wondering what they meant when they said that the meaning of going to terra Nova was to control the past and the futur. Since they obviously can't do that by being in an alternative timeline. And there is no real interest anyway, since they can't go back to the futur. Maybe the son's research is a way to reach the past of the timeline of the world they are from... so that they can directly influence that world?
    Of is it a way to go to the futur of their new world, to see how what they are doing affect the futur... and act in concequences...

Anyway, when time travel is involved it can get complicated.

thribs

[14]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 8

I have a feeling that the sixes are from the future of the alternate timeline where something he has done has damaged the alternate future and they have gone back in time to stop him, by possibly destroying Terra Nova.

TylerA46

[16]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 11

SlidingKat wrote:

"Have to admit I'm a bit confused by the dialog referencing an alternate time stream, but than the contradiction in the season preview talking about using the past to change the future."

I bet the probe was found in the future, but they went anyway. I don't like a new dinosaur being invented. Were the real ones not scary enough?

Kromdale

[17]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 4

Liked

Dang, no liberals alive during 2149. He got 6 years for striking an officer (well according to his son). Some mystery. Why is the son writing the symbols/equations whatever on the rock? Is he part of the sixers? Is the daughter would be boyfriend legit or does he have sinister reasons (ie sixer spy) for courting the girl. This and others should help to keep the interests of viewers. Liked the fact that it didnt go the route of just starting to build the outpost so we wont have any boring gathering supplies episodes to waste our time with. If its an alternate timeline, then the dinosaurs could realistically be different from what we know. Even if its our timeline, im sure there might be species that we havent discovered.

Disappointed

They had 6 years to design a weapon (lethal or non lethal) to dinosaurs, yet from the first 2 episodes it would seem they brought along fancy noise makers for defense. Then there were the teenagers out for some fun. Ok im all with rebellious, i cant die im young folks existing. What bugged me was the fact the girl lived. She runs off, gets attacked and the dinosaur just left her cut up a bit??? At least the guy had his foot chewed up. Couldnt be because of gore. They killed off that sixer guy with a nice tail strike thru the chest.

Overall I liked the show and cant wait for the rest of the season. Oh as far as the sixers being alternate time line folks, I got the impression the head guy said they were called sixers because they were part of the sixth something (phase, colony) so it would seem they are from his timeline. It is funny that they would send spies to learn about the colony if they were part of the plan so I might have misunderstood his explanation when they were on the hilltop talking. Have to watch it again.

ferguson4848

[18]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 2

I enjoyed Terra Nova, for the most part. There are some things I hope to see as the series continues. Read more thoughts.

Some thing I was curious about was this: Lets take their word that the probe was never found in the future and that this is indeed a new timeline. That would mean that for seven years the future has sent nearly a thousand people through the time fracture with no indication they actually ended up on the other side. Giving the one-way nature of the fracture and the inability to get a message from the past back, for all they know it doesn't work at all. They just keep blindingly sending people backwards in time hoping they even arrive anywhere.

Seems like a flaw in the narrative. How do they even know how far back in time the fracture goes or even if it is indeed backwards?

raziela12

[19]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 9

The show has so many flaws, I don't even know where to begin with.

So if it is another timeline, how are they able to communicate with the future? Because they must have communicated, how else would they know when new people arrive, since there were so many nurses an soldiers at the site... Scratch that, the captain just said that the guy that went into the portal after him took over 100 days longer than him for the timetravel. So WTF?!? Why were there nurses and soldiers.

Also the filming puts me off, all these "cool poses in front of cool background". And the greenscreens are so blatantly obvious, e.g. the shot when the captainguy talked with the main character outside the gates before the sixer attack.

But are they really expecting to run this series only on cool CGI shots and a storyline they barely put a thought into...

The main-character's development in the terra nova is just so farfetched. There is no reason for the boss guy to say to the felon guy "oh welcome, you shouldn't be here, but since you are now, why don't you just come with me and I tell you all the cool secrets and make you my new soldierguy", what a stupid and lame way to tie the maincharacters into the plot...

The only plotline that I thought would make sense and would be believeable would have been the little daughter not remembering her father, but they did a copout on that...

And now all these whiny dialogues in the midst of the slasher attack... how cheesy is this..

Oh great and just at the end of the episode the son's beef with his father is resolved too...

yay, and now some lame-ass mystery. Did I get that right? The son of the captain is the one scratching that runes on the waterfall?

kanniballl

[20]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 18

ferguson4848 wrote:

I enjoyed Terra Nova, for the most part. There are some things I hope to see as the series continues. Read more thoughts.

Some thing I was curious about was this: Lets take their word that the probe was never found in the future and that this is indeed a new timeline. That would mean that for seven years the future has sent nearly a thousand people through the time fracture with no indication they actually ended up on the other side. Giving the one-way nature of the fracture and the inability to get a message from the past back, for all they know it doesn't work at all. They just keep blindingly sending people backwards in time hoping they even arrive anywhere.

Seems like a flaw in the narrative. How do they even know how far back in time the fracture goes or even if it is indeed backwards?

I thought their was a conversation that they could communicate back if necessary... like to let them know about "The Sixers." But the leader said he didn't want to because he didn't know who to trust back home. Like maybe only at timed intervals (when they send people one way) they can send a radio signal another.

But perhaps I mis-heard that whole conversation.

But that was my first thought... for all they know they're sending people to be incinerated... but at least it keeps the population down.

kanniballl

[21]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 18

I liked it more than I thought I was going to.

It was decent, though not TOO cerebral and not TOO story-driven. But overall, even ignoring the whole dino-wars thing it was still a decent pilot.

I'll see how it holds up though, pilots can often be very mis-representative of the rest of the season / series.

Being a science fiction show on FOX, I imagine it will have to keep insane ratings to keep itself alive.