Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for Genesis Part 1 & 2 ****Spoilers*****

kanniballl

[21]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 18

I liked it more than I thought I was going to.

It was decent, though not TOO cerebral and not TOO story-driven. But overall, even ignoring the whole dino-wars thing it was still a decent pilot.

I'll see how it holds up though, pilots can often be very mis-representative of the rest of the season / series.

Being a science fiction show on FOX, I imagine it will have to keep insane ratings to keep itself alive.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NinjaTurtleFan

[22]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 5

My opinion on the show is that I see 2 evils, and they are just the Sixers, and the Dinosaurs. To me, I don't know if that's enough to keep it going for 20 some episodes a season for ME. Another dinosaur old show that I was thought was a great show was called Lost World. It's not Jurassic Park Lost World, but it was a tv show. The thing with that show was that they had medieval people in an episode, they had dinosaurs of course, they had a mummy guy in an episode, native bad people, big huge bees, and so on. There was so many evil stuff in the jungle, and I don't know if I will get bored after awhile with there not being that many things in this show. I hope there are more "bad" stuff to fight against than just dinosaurs, and sixers.

ferguson4848

[23]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 2
    He did mention that and I'm okay with radio communications through the portal. However, if that is the case then the line about this being an alternate timeline would not work. Actually now that I think about I'm not sure sending multiple groups back would work in the alternate timeline scenario at all.

Once the first group, from Timeline A, went through the portal, they created an alternate version of 85 million years ago, we'll call that Timeline B. Now every time Timeline A sends another group back they couldn't send them to Timeline B, in fact I assume the subsequent groups would cause their own alternate timelines. Unless they were sent back prior to the first group coming, in which case the previous groups wouldn't have arrived yet.

raziela12

[24]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 9

NinjaTurtleFan wrote:

My opinion on the show is that I see 2 evils, and they are just the Sixers, and the Dinosaurs. To me, I don't know if that's enough to keep it going for 20 some episodes a season for ME. Another dinosaur old show that I was thought was a great show was called Lost World. It's not Jurassic Park Lost World, but it was a tv show. The thing with that show was that they had medieval people in an episode, they had dinosaurs of course, they had a mummy guy in an episode, native bad people, big huge bees, and so on. There was so many evil stuff in the jungle, and I don't know if I will get bored after awhile with there not being that many things in this show. I hope there are more "bad" stuff to fight against than just dinosaurs, and sixers.

The Lost World was a great show, I just recently stumbled upon a rerun. I really liked that show in my childhood.

To be honest, I didn't inform myself very well about terra nova, but I thought it would be more about the building of a new society from scratch in the dinosaur world. But unfortunately the basecamp and even electricity etc is already given...I think that would have been much better than a 0815 Lost remake...

trevorsnapp

[25]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 4

This was definetly the biggest premier disappointment of the year. With how much money they spent you would think they could afford good writters...Cause dang, it was bad. I enjoyed the first portion though. Great graphics and awesome gadgets and good acting. Unfortunately, once they got to Terra Nova it completely lost my attention. Everything happened so fast and we didn't get to understand the reasoning behind each characters actions. It was dull, boring, and the dinosaurs looked like shiny doll toys.

However, Im not ready to give up on teh show just yet. im going to watch the next few episodes. I hope they can pull this off, cause it really has potential! they just need to get ride of all the typical cheesy role playing shit! WE NEED SOMETHING REAL AND NEW!!!!!

JamesSnedden

[26]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 3
    Dawnsdinosaurs wrote:

Please discuss the episode here.

I dnt get how they tell the people in the future what they need if its only a 1 way trip? i mean do they communicate thro radio that can go through the portal? or is that a very big mistake of the show other then that its pretty good so far

ferguson4848

[27]Sep 27, 2011
    JamesSnedden wrote:
    Dawnsdinosaurs wrote:

Please discuss the episode here.

I dnt get how they tell the people in the future what they need if its only a 1 way trip? i mean do they communicate thro radio that can go through the portal? or is that a very big mistake of the show other then that its pretty good so far

Apparently they can contact the future, but I'm pretty sure this would only work if there is one timeline and the part about it being an alternate timeline is a lie.

Bujemi

[28]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 4
    raziela12 wrote:

The show has so many flaws, I don't even know where to begin with.

So if it is another timeline, how are they able to communicate with the future? Because they must have communicated, how else would they know when new people arrive, since there were so many nurses an soldiers at the site... Scratch that, the captain just said that the guy that went into the portal after him took over 100 days longer than him for the timetravel. So WTF?!? Why were there nurses and soldiers.

Also the filming puts me off, all these "cool poses in front of cool background". And the greenscreens are so blatantly obvious, e.g. the shot when the captainguy talked with the main character outside the gates before the sixer attack.

But are they really expecting to run this series only on cool CGI shots and a storyline they barely put a thought into...

The main-character's development in the terra nova is just so farfetched. There is no reason for the boss guy to say to the felon guy "oh welcome, you shouldn't be here, but since you are now, why don't you just come with me and I tell you all the cool secrets and make you my new soldierguy", what a stupid and lame way to tie the maincharacters into the plot...

The only plotline that I thought would make sense and would be believeable would have been the little daughter not remembering her father, but they did a copout on that...

And now all these whiny dialogues in the midst of the slasher attack... how cheesy is this..

Oh great and just at the end of the episode the son's beef with his father is resolved too...

yay, and now some lame-ass mystery. Did I get that right? The son of the captain is the one scratching that runes on the waterfall?

I hear you man!

thribs

[29]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 8

Not enough Dinosaurs and too many humans. Get rid of some of the humans and you will have a good show!

Notiki

[30]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 3

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE BLACK PEOPLE GETTING KILLED SERIOUSLY WTF??

musiliu

[31]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 11
    the Max guy is the red ranger from Power Rangers RPM

skippercollecto

[32]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 15

As an older viewer who seldom pays attention to special effects:

1. There was one scene that actually reminded me of the live action movies of "The Flintstones." It just looked like Bedrock!

2. Nathaniel Taylor is confusing to me. He looks like Richard Dean Anderson. I've seen numerous movies in the jungle and the captain is often psycho, but I haven't figured out if Taylor is or not.

3. Regarding the symbols in the rocks--perhaps this planet isn't Earth at all, but some other planet altogether and the aliens are in hiding?

4. None of you have mentioned the girl's cut in her arm, and the question about going near the waterfall. Perhaps the water is poisonous?

5. Why the big deal about the Sixers? What was wrong with them merely breaking off and starting their own city? It would be better to have two villages anyway, for a variety of reasons, including a separate place to escape to.

6. Most of you have mentioned "Lost," which I noticed, but the series also reminded me of the show "Jeremiah." Not the plot, but the way the characters looked.

7. Why is it that every science fiction show nowadays has to have people dressed in tight jeans and tank tops or camouflage? Does no one the future, even if they work indoors, wear dresses or suits or nice slacks or T-shirts and shorts?

antdude

[33]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 27
    FYI, I made a poll about these two episodes on http://www.aqfl.net/node/9399 ...

SlidingKat

[34]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 5

ferguson4848 wrote:
    He did mention that and I'm okay with radio communications through the portal. However, if that is the case then the line about this being an alternate timeline would not work. Actually now that I think about I'm not sure sending multiple groups back would work in the alternate timeline scenario at all. Once the first group, from Timeline A, went through the portal, they created an alternate version of 85 million years ago, we'll call that Timeline B. Now every time Timeline A sends another group back they couldn't send them to Timeline B, in fact I assume the subsequent groups would cause their own alternate timelines. Unless they were sent back prior to the first group coming, in which case the previous groups wouldn't have arrived yet.

That plot point was dealt with in the future setting when they referred to the gate at a "tear." The implication being it is a fixed tear/pathbetweenparalleluniverses.

smoke-monster

[35]Sep 28, 2011

I like good sci-fi and thought the premise for Terra Nova was interesting. But they turned it into another lame family drama. Who needs that? Josh already is beyond-Tyler-from-V annoying. I don't expect much from a show whosepremiereis about some brain-dead kids running off into the jungle. Wouldn't call that sci-fi either.

blackmage8472

[36]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 15

[QUOTE="skippercollecto"]

2. Nathaniel Taylor is confusing to me. He looks like Richard Dean Anderson. I've seen numerous movies in the jungle and the captain is often psycho, but I haven't figured out if Taylor is or not.

3. Regarding the symbols in the rocks--perhaps this planet isn't Earth at all, but some other planet altogether and the aliens are in hiding?

4. None of you have mentioned the girl's cut in her arm, and the question about going near the waterfall. Perhaps the water is poisonous?

5. Why the big deal about the Sixers? What was wrong with them merely breaking off and starting their own city? It would be better to have two villages anyway, for a variety of reasons, including a separate place to escape to.

7. Why is it that every science fiction show nowadays has to have people dressed in tight jeans and tank tops or camouflage? Does no one the future, even if they work indoors, wear dresses or suits or nice slacks or T-shirts and shorts?

[/ QUOTE]

2. Really? I didn't get any Richard Dean Anderson from Taylor. Not even the older fatter version in the later years of Stargate. I figure Taylor isn't psycho but definitely hiding something. Worst case scenario, he tries to become a military dictator rather than a military governor.

3. To be honest, that was my first thought and I really hope they don't go there. Besides they already said the symbols were written by Taylor's son.

4. I figure small details like that aren't important until you see it when the announcer, probably with O'Mara's voice, says "previously on Terra Nova..."

5. True but the Sixers seemed initially intent on controlling Terra Nova by force, killing Taylor, etc.

7. I miss the science fiction shows with crazy "futuristic" fashions.

GuyHagstrom

[37]Sep 28, 2011

Not a bad intro to a new show, although I think they used every cliché in the book.

My biggest problem is that they forgot to bring any guns from the future that can easily down a dino, well I guess that would kill a lot deadly dino based storylines.

MatsBjrk

[38]Sep 28, 2011
    Hmm. 10% good stuff, 20% "lets show em sum CGI", 20% confusing and unrealistic plot, 50% family/teenage drama. (=100%)

* overacting on the family/teenage drama, * almost no establishment of how's and why's - in sci-fi i think you need to give realistic and rational explanations to details otherwise the story becomes inconsistent and "unnatural" * generally strange behaviour * and so on

Still, im in it for the 10%. It might pick up

EJamison

[39]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 17

We're all confused because we didn't go to the orientation.

There are so many questions that will probably never be answered. The main one I have is: What plans, if any, do the officials in the future have for the colony? It all seems so haphazard.

How representative was the Shannon's first day of a typical day in the colony? If very typical, it seems it would have totally fallen apart by now. If untypical, then it seems so convenient that it was so dramatic this first day?

They have a lot of high-tech, and yet cut "weeds" with a machete. How often do they get more supplies from the future? Only when there is a pilgramage? Who is financing it?

Were they able to sent the vehicles through fully assembled or did they have to send the parts and put them together? The meteoric iron the Sixers brought seems very valuable, but it wasn't a large quantity. Could they have flying vehicles that would allow them to find better places on the planet and also avoid the dinos?

I expect to keep watching but I really don't have much hope for this show. I don't think it will ever feel coherent.

zampognaro

[40]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 9
    Comparing this crapfest to Lost is heresy