Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for Instinct. ******Spoilers*******

Dawnsdinosaurs

[1]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 40

Please discuss the episode here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skippercollecto

[2]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 15

Somewhere, Alfred Hitchcock is

(a) rolling in his grave

(b) laughing his head off

(c) threatening to sue Steven Spielberg for copyright infringement

KingofIPirates

[3]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 32
    Abyssmal episode, couldn't make it all the way through.

blackmage8472

[4]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 15

Ok, maybe I'm just whining but that scene where the dino-bird is approaching the little girl... anyone else think it looked like an old disney film where they had animation and live action together? I feel like this series was more based on it's special effects rather than a story and frankly I'm not impressed yet.

honorablechoice

[5]Oct 3, 2011
    • level: 3
    I enjoyed the episode..

Looking forward to future episodes.. Keep the adventure level high, and keep it real Good character development is also key.. Inner demons etc.. Kinda like that of stargate universe for an example..

antdude

[6]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 27
    Yep, Alfred Hitchcock's Birds was the theme of this episode!

thribs

[7]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 8

I'm enjoying the show, it's like an American Primeval. Hoping they will get to the proper dinosaurs later on. "Dino-birds" aren't that interesting!

thribs

[8]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 8

honorablechoice wrote:
    I enjoyed the episode.. Looking forward to future episodes.. Keep the adventure level high, and keep it real Good character development is also key.. Inner demons etc.. Kinda like that of stargate universe for an example..

Show could use a "Mackay" type character!

MikeMuller1

[9]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 5

blackmage8472 wrote:

Ok, maybe I'm just whining but that scene where the dino-bird is approaching the little girl... anyone else think it looked like an old disney film where they had animation and live action together? I feel like this series was more based on it's special effects rather than a story and frankly I'm not impressed yet.

Yes, the effects so far are really mediocre. The way Shannon and his wife stumbled across the road, ducking when there was no dino anywhere near them, looked ridiculous. And when they were trying to get the molecules right for the pheromone they were looking in a different direction than the animation. Other than that I liked this episode quite a lot. Everything was great, well except two minor complaints: 1.) birds coming out of the vent. Seriously, how cliché can it be? The smart thing to do would be to play with the cliché and then have them crush the windows instead. 2.) The hunting of the two birds to extract the pheromones. They drive away at night, then suddenly it's day and they have already the pheromone? Did they cut the scene because they had needed even more FX? And have you seen the table in their container home? I would not want my five year old daughter to live next to a table that could literally stab her to death. Why would anybody build such a table?

honorablechoice

[10]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 3
    I wonder if it would be possible to introduce some kind of sentient race or something.. Who knows.. Maybe aliens had a colony on earth 85 million years ago.. Or there was some kind of other species that got wiped out, and just no evidence was found after the asteroid.. Or is that even still possible? Being that this is an alternate reality or something as explained in first episode.. Something about the butterfly effect not being an issue because of it.. Maybe in this reality no asteroid ever hits? In any case.. They got millions of years to advance in technology to avoid such a tragedy.. But who knows.. Maybe a close encounter is possible? Some race scouted the planet millions of years ago..

Dun dun dun... Possibilities.. Haha..

mermayd

[11]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 19
    I love where that scientist guy puts one of the bird dinosaurs in a box and you can see it quivering because it is MADE OF RUBBER!!

I am really hoping they get better writers on this series. The premise is terrific but it is being executed sooooo badly. Could the dialogue be more hackneyed, there is really wooden acting and the story is everything we've seen before 50 years ago.

Spielberg clearly thinks that all he needs to do is have some cool special effects and audiences will be satisfied. Not.

DaImpster

[12]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 6
    My main gripe with this ep is that a tiny flying critter, weighing maybe 2-3 kg can send grown men flying, knocking them unconscious... Seriously, if a bird flies at your head you put your hands up, catch it and wring it's neck! IT won't break your neck!

Just like the immortal Carnosaurs in the first ep. So a dino is an unstoppable beast able to take hundreds of machine gun-rounds? Ridiculous! And if their weapons are just crap they are simply retarded!
    A good old 460 Weatherby Magnum puts a 500gr (32g) slug a meter deep in an Elephant! Dinos may be large and thick skinned, but seriously? A .50BMG would tear the sucker to shreds in seconds and then there is the Mk19 and heavier stuff.
    Sonic deterrents in all honour, but you won't exterminate a whole species by wasting the one that's trying to eat you!

I like the concept, but WTF? NO realism what so ever?

NinjaTurtleFan

[13]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 5
    antdude wrote:
    Yep, Alfred Hitchcock's Birds was the theme of this episode!

Reminded me of bats, but it was cool.

mermayd

[14]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 19
    SO true about the weapons. I don't think any of the dinosaurs have been taken down at all. Episode 2 where the teens are stuck in that truck thing and shooting enough ammo at the slashers to take down a herd of elephants and none of them are injured let alone killed.

I find it really shocking when you look at the pedigree of the people who worked on this show - never mind Spielberg, there is Alex Graves who produced the West Wing and worked on Fringe. Neal Ahern also worked on the West Wing. How can these guys come from a show of the quality of the West Wing and NOT realise that Terra Nova doesn't have good enough scripts. Effects alone do not a television series make. They might make a film but not tv. Spielberg should stick to films. ER was clearly a fluke - probably because the script was so terrific not even he could mess it up.

kanniballl

[15]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 18

DaImpster wrote:
    My main gripe with this ep is that a tiny flying critter, weighing maybe 2-3 kg can send grown men flying, knocking them unconscious... Seriously, if a bird flies at your head you put your hands up, catch it and wring it's neck! IT won't break your neck! J

I don't know... sure a pigeon / crow / etc smacking into you at full force wouldn't do much more than shock you.

But something like a Turkey Vulture (or bigger) might knock you on your back if it hit you full force in the chest or head.

Meanwhile, did we ever hear the weight of these flying lizards? They looked larger than your average contemporary bird... at least as large a turkey vulture.

However I don't recall the scenes in question... whether the guys just got "knocked down" or if they were "flung 10 feet." Unless they had a lot of mass I don't see them knocking someone back multiple feet... and mass makes it hard for an animal to fly.

Sugar2U

[17]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 9

sooo because they never found the probe they sent in the future means they are on a parallel time then the one they left..? BUT what if there were people in THAT time-line? Kinda like Fringe one "world" affecting another "world" without being aware of it. That would also be cool if in the timeline they came from the Probe was found but like back in the 80s and someone one Nuked it!! This show needs some comedy in it too. Like Stargate always had some funny one liners or something. The family is boring. Jim is a true Alpha male and will one day want to "take over". I will give this thing time but I watched "the event" and look where that got me..

DaImpster

[18]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 6

I must say that I quite like the "Alternate Time-line" theory though! It's a nifty solution to the otherwise insurmountable paradoxes with time-travel! Since "that future" hasn't been "made yet" they are not changing it, they are making it. So to speak...

haldrey

[19]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 22
    I do not know if Birds was the inspiration for this episode but please do not insult Alfred Hitchcock's Birds by comparing it to this show. I liked the premier but this episode was lame. Best they improve before following the steps of the first cancellation of the season (The Playboy Club).

EJamison

[20]Oct 6, 2011
    • level: 17

I love sci-fi and will keep watching this show as long as it manages to stay on the air, despite that fact that, so far, it sucks badly.

They've hinted that there is a bigger story line, but if they don't get to it quickly, I may have a problem staying tuned in. I'm afraid they may be planning to simply drop little hints with the intention of a big reveal on the season finale. If that's the plan, I can't see it making it until then. I'm pretty sure we're never really going to know where they were heading.

How big is the village? It doesn't seem very large. The screatching would seem to have been heard by everyone but Liz expects Jim to take care of it as if there aren't night guards to do it.

Knowing what's on the outside, although it wouldn't help with flying creatures, I would have a double fence with a no-man's land in between.

I've wondered why they've picked this particular location, but eggs making the ground fertile seems like a lame reason. Also, why would you build the village on top of the fertile ground. The jungle doesn't seem to lack an ability for plants to grow.

There is a strange contrast between the high tech that has been demonstrated and how they often don't seem 150 years beyond us. Wouldn't everyone have cellphones?

What controls what resources they get from the future, and how often is there a new shipment?

Shouldn't they have have some ultralight helicopters?

Should they have accomplished more in the time they've been here?