Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread for Instinct. ******Spoilers*******

Just_Jos

[21]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 11

Pretty exciting episode towards the end.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[22]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 79
    Very good episode, lets not hanker on about semantics, if they had a trillion dollars to spend there wouldn't be any, but they don't.

kanniballl

[23]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 18

EJamison wrote:

There is a strange contrast between the high tech that has been demonstrated and how they often don't seem 150 years beyond us. Wouldn't everyone have cellphones?

What controls what resources they get from the future, and how often is there a new shipment?

Shouldn't they have have some ultralight helicopters?

Should they have accomplished more in the time they've been here?

I can *imagine* some of the answers revolve around... minimal environmental impact. I'm not saying that's the answer, but I tend to find a quick and simple solution when I see a plot hole so I don't dwell.

They're trying to start fresh and not make the same mistakes. So, they're probably trying to start out by minimizing their affect on the surrounding wildlife as minimally as possible. Hence no cell towers, and lots of walkie talkies.

For helicopters / planes I imagine environment + resources. They probably don't get loads of stuff from the future... and human-ridable aircraft need a LOT of maintenance and fine-tuning to remain safe. No to mention I doubt there are a lot of places to land if something goes wrong. And lastly, besides worrying about pigeons... you have to worry about pigeons with teeth that might want to try out the new + noisy prey flying around.

And lastly, depending on how much they start from scratch... I'd say they accomplished a lot. A small group of people starting from scratch takes a long time to get going. I recall fans complaining towards the end of Star Gate Universe... on that show you find out that a few dozen people got sent to the past with nothing but the clothes on their backs and some guns and wound up in the wilderness. Fans were complaining that "they should've been able to make an FTL ship in 1 or 2 generations." Umm, sure... they just need to survive the wilderness, grow crops, mine for iron + titanium + copper + whatever else, SCOUT for those materials, build stuff, all with a few dozen people.

It really depends on how much "stuff" the future is able to send them.

kanniballl

[24]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 18

skippercollecto wrote:

Somewhere, Alfred Hitchcock is

(a) rolling in his grave

(b) laughing his head off

(c) threatening to sue Steven Spielberg for copyright infringement

There have been TONS of "Birds" remakes/homeages/rip-offs/etc. Some are so god-awful it's almost sickening, and were probably so bad it made Hitchock's grave explode due to him spinning so fast.

Trust me, compared to those... this was half decent.

Dawnsdinosaurs

[25]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 40
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Very good episode, lets not hanker on about semantics, if they had a trillion dollars to spend there wouldn't be any, but they don't.

Unfortunately even if they did spend that much people would still complain. Nothing and nobody is perfect. I also enjoyed the episode too,