Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

The 1980s called they want their special effects back.

claytox

[1]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 6

As much as there is enough to keep me going in this show, the special effects are dodge! I felt this was particular confirmed at the end of bylaw. GiveJurassicPark was 10 years ago I really feel even a tv show should be doing better than this by now.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JonathonWolf

[2]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 10
    It's a tv show; they don't have the budget a movie does. While CGI hasn't gotten much better over the years, a lot of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were practical effects.

kanniballl

[3]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 18

Really?

1980's CGI effects were like "The Last Starfighter" Really low poly-count, no textures on the sides (just colors), etc. Or even "Tron" (the original).

Most of the special effects from the 80's were practical. Animatronics, small models, latex makeups, etc. Those space fights in Return of the Jedi were small models and fireworks explosions.

mermayd

[4]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 19
    I think the effects are pretty good, they would do better to just show snatches of the dinosaur though, rather than slow long shots of them. Brief glimpses are always more impressive - your imagination fills in th blanks, like in Jaws.

Yaspaa

[5]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 79
    The effects are the best on TV at the moment, that's one of the reasons it costs so much. There have been several wide angle CGI shots which you just don't see on TV, and considering CGI didn't appear until the 90's, the 80's has nothing to do with it.

kanniballl

[6]Nov 8, 2011

Yaspaa wrote:
    The effects are the best on TV at the moment, that's one of the reasons it costs so much. There have been several wide angle CGI shots which you just don't see on TV, and considering CGI didn't appear until the 90's, the 80's has nothing to do with it.

Nah, it was around in the 80's... it was just "weak sauce" compared to today's. Previously mentioned "TRON" and "The Last Starfighter" being two examples from the early 80's.

As for TV, "Automan" had some Tron-ish CGI... with a floating "Bit" and a car that would "render" into real life. That too was early 80's.

But comparing Terra Nova to 80's CGI is like saying the graphics in the slightly aged "Half-Life 2" are on the same level with the original Nintendo's "Super Mario Brothers".

Either it's hyperbole, or the person writing it thinks the first Terminator film used CGI to render the endoskeleton (which it did not).

Yaspaa

[7]Nov 8, 2011
    We're talking about 'modern CGI' starting with Terminator 2 using 3 dimensional effects on a PC, proper CGI, not stuff from a commodore 64.

sduvoisin

[8]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 11

Burn!

kanniballl

[10]Nov 11, 2011

Yaspaa wrote:
    We're talking about 'modern CGI' starting with Terminator 2 using 3 dimensional effects on a PC, proper CGI, not stuff from a commodore 64.

First off, Terminator 2's 3D effects weren't done one a PC... but on SGI systems. Those are not PERSONAL Computers.

Secondly, while extremely dated... The Last Starfighter was 3D animation... Polygons and the whole sha-bang. Only instead of Poly-counts in the thousands like today's films they were in the dozens.

And lastly, the whole pointof my post was to point out the OP's comparing of Terra Nova's SFX to the 1980's is either hyperbole or the person legitimately thinks the old Muppet show was computer animated.

I've met some young-ens that thought the practical effects of old were actually CGI... not realizing that to make an alien look like that in the old days required old-school know-how. Or they the original Kirk-era Star Trek series used CGI for the Enterprise shots.

antdude

[11]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 27
    Yeah, you would think they could use JP's effects for this TV series. NOPE! CG is terrible.

Gera777

[12]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 9

What can I say? Terra Nova is not Sharktopus, but their special effects are on the high level too!

Yaspaa

[13]Nov 16, 2011
    @kanniballl, obviously hyperbole, he refers to Jurassic Park 3 in the text.
    @antdude, tell me a tv show with better effects.

kepa55

[14]Nov 18, 2011
    • level: 8

The fish at the beginning of 1x08 was the worst effect yet, I actually had to stop the episode because I was laughing so hard. Quite clearly modern TV CGI isn't advanced enough to properly do something living (or it's just this show). I actually remember seeing better CGI creatures 10 years ago, on shows like Buffy and Angel.

kanniballl

[15]Nov 18, 2011

kepa55 wrote:

The fish at the beginning of 1x08 was the worst effect yet, I actually had to stop the episode because I was laughing so hard. Quite clearly modern TV CGI isn't advanced enough to properly do something living (or it's just this show). I actually remember seeing better CGI creatures 10 years ago, on shows like Buffy and Angel.

Agreed, I also couldn't help but chuckle. I even rewound it because I thought perhaps I'd imagined how bad it was.

The regular Dinos have been alright, and the birds were passable. But that fish... just wow. Weak sauce.