Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

the problem of Terra Nova (at least for me)

Arrix85

[1]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 16

Mind you, I'll watch it and I'll probably enjoy it, but....

... there is the problem of the time traveling: ok, it can't generate a grandfather paradox, but there are things that in the past (even million years ago) can influence the present.

let's talk about resources : if they mine a mineral vein or they cut a forest (which would have become pretoleum), let's say in modern-day texas, there won't be the same resources available in the present, thus changing the future and changing the same factors that made them going into the past. Beyonds, if you use the most easy-to-get resources, they won't be available to early civilizations, so....

This would be so easily resolved by saying they are not going into the past, but in some kind of parallel universe, one in which, for example, the asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs and in which mammals and then humans never took over.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Shikady

[2]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 13
    Are they going to go back and foward in time? If they just stay in the past...who cares?
    If in a future they go to the "future" or present, it could be interesting to watch how they change the world.

BoredomHeights

[3]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 6

I was worried about this also, but it can be pretty easily explained. Your idea for a parallel universe is a perfect example, I'm sure they'll have some explanation. Anything would work for me as long as it was somewhat feasable, it is a sci-fi show afterall.

ChinmayPatel

[4]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 4

ya i agree with u man. i'm always saying the same with other time traveling shows and movie.

and Terra Nova would do well in saying "they are not going into the past, but in some kind of parallel universe, one in which, for example, the asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs and in which mammals and then humans never took over" that would solve so much problems.

ChinmayPatel

[5]Jun 27, 2010

Shikady wrote:
    Are they going to go back and forward in time? If they just stay in the past...who cares? If in a future they go to the "future" or present, it could be interesting to watch how they change the world.
    staying in the past will **** up stuff even more.

Chaos_Zombie

[6]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 10

I'm confident these are questions the writers and Spielberg have already asked and solved. If we can think of them, they can too. Fortunately it is Sci-fi and that leaves some breathing room as far as reality is concerned.

rikhavok

[7]Dec 20, 2010
    • level: 3

Doesn't this sound like Land of the Lost, except that they chose to go. I'll definitely try it.

pekkasteele

[8]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 7

Yea but it is not that many persons going back, I don't think the can make that big difference, say the cut alot od trees, well, what is alot? 1000, that won't make a difference anyway, since then until now it have to have been many forest fires, icetimes etc that really makes the impact of that zero. Even if they burn down the entire forest, it will grow up and burn down again may times naturally, so that extra fire will make no impact at all. And sure, the might make a mine or two, but there are not many persons, and the don't have advanced machines, so how much can the actually dig up?

PabloSilva1

[9]Jan 10, 2011
    I am no expert in science or time travel, but if the world is going to change greatly due to the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, does it really matter what they do to the world before it happens?

Willy105

[10]Jan 11, 2011
    • level: 11
    Haven't you ever seen Back to the Future?

You go back in time, the present changes, but if they are going to stay in the past, it's not important for them. After all, the whole point of the mission to the past in Terra Nova is to prevent the bad future they came from.

Zekkers

[11]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 1

There exists now the idea of a multiverse in cosmology, that is (in a nutshell) the notion that there exists, simultaneously, a nearly infinite number of parallel universes to encompass all different possibilities. When dealing with time paradoxes (such as the one you listed) the idea of a multiverse helps to solve many (if not all) by assuming that when traveling to a past time frame you also are in a parallel universe where you had existed in the past and changed things which effected the outcome of that universe's future rather than your own.

I realize this thread is a bit old but it may help people understand how time traveling to past events and making changes in science fiction can have a somewhat believable aspect to it.

Edited on 02/02/2011 4:44am

GreyMinerva

[12]Feb 8, 2011
    • level: 12

I always get annoyed by these kind of conundrums. Because I end up asking all the questions posed so far, and then I just can't stop.

What's the purpose of their new colony?
    Will they be a "Noah's Arc", eventually repopulating the future world after the humans there have become extinct?
    Will they stay in the past, living a quiet, pastoral and fairly low-tech life?
    For how long? Until they've colonized the entire world, until they become extinct, until they evolve into who knows what a million years later?

Will they set out to rebuild a more ecologically sound version of their high tech world, and if so, what kind of impact will that have on history, the natural evolution of the planet etc?

I want to know what EXACTLY they mean by "they're going to save the human race".
    Because to me, the "destiny" of the human race always lies up and out - not back and down.
    I'd rather have the stars than dinosaurs.

Edited on 02/08/2011 11:25am

Knaster

[13]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 2

Yeah... and since timetravel itself is SO SO realistic!!!

The fact that timetravelling should be possible would suggest that time dont even exist, and never has. Therefore, timetravelling would ALWAYS be into parralleluniverses. Thus would the events happening in "prehistoric" time, NEVER affect the "time" they came from.

I guess you can watch the show now without being a jerk about sci fi...

Selaspy

[14]Apr 11, 2011

The answer is simple... without any fancy parallel universe stuff.

Star Trek IV anyone? "how do we know he didn't invent the stuff"...

For those who need more info... rather than change the past, they have actually caused things to be the they are.

It's sort of similar to the grandfather paradox. In the grandfather paradox, you can't kill your grandfather (before your parent is conceived anyway) because you're here, therefore your grandfather lived long enough to reproduce.

The Time Machine (movie) was the perfect example - the guy couldn't save his girlfriend no matter what he did differently, because if she hadn't died, he wouldn't have had the motivation to make the time machine, therefore if she hadn't died, he wouldn't have been able to time travel and have anyway to try to stop her dying.

There are heaps of Star Trek episodes with similar scenarios, particularly DS9 comes to mind. eg when they go back to 21st century earth and Sisko steps in to replace some homeless guy that got killed. They go back to their own time and realise that it was him that was really the guy all along.

Going back in time doesn't always change the past, sometimes it creates the past that we know.

Selaspy

[15]Apr 11, 2011

Maybe it was really humanity that somehow wiped out the dinosaurs

DavidCsecsi

[16]Apr 15, 2011

I don't understand your problem, honestly.

If they go back in time, they change history with that simple action without doing anything. If they stay there, they won't care about the times they came from, because it won't exist ...

And if they stay in the past and history gets to the "present" (which would be a greatly different present than ours), it won't be needed to go back again, because it IS the changed history. If they go back again, they will meet with themselves, because in their history a group of men were in that ancient time and did what they did. I hope I am clear (my mother tongue is not english)

The question is that those in the past would do what they do beter than us or similar or even worse...

And I think Back to the Future is not the best example because such things that "old Biff" go back to 1955, change the past then go back to the same 2015 he came from... unrealistic a little bit...

However that movie is great, I like it very much, great favourit etc.

Anyway, I am await for this one, and we will see what we get...

Edited on 04/15/2011 9:11am

columpd

[17]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    Really looking forward to Terra Nova. the only problem i have with it is the amount of people that are going to say grandfather paradox for god sake its a tv show and as far as i know it can never happen so sit back and watch it and enjoy it for what it is a TV Show stop looking for things that are not there.

WarrenLiddell

[18]May 11, 2011

Actually that isnt the case but it really depends on what you believe..... If you look at explanations about the same sort of thing from movies like Back top the Future an shows like Startrek etc ... When/If you travle back in time, any change you make at all would make a new timeline from the existing one, so in essence you wouldnt affect the world//timeline in which you first came from as you would have created a splinterd timeline stemming in a diff direction cause of the changes you've made.

Least thats how i percieve it

Kromdale

[20]Jun 14, 2011

Wonder how many are sent to the past but that we dont see/hear about. Cause if there was a global lottery, then you would expect alot more Chinese, Indian (non native american) and mexican/south americans then themostly white with token black female crew they are showing.

So they are going back in time where Dinosaurs exist. If so, doesnt that mean the astroid/comet strike will happen after the expedition arrives and with limited supplies, how will they deal with a ELE?

Edited on 06/14/2011 12:04pm