We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

the problem of Terra Nova (at least for me)

fadly1979

[21]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 1

Watch the trailer. It said, human want to start over. They don't concern about the effect of altering the pass to the future event. It's like you have **** life. then you have this chance of sending your conciousness back in time into your childhood self. armed with the knowledge of misfortune that befallen you in the future, i'm sure you want to avoid any actions or events that originally bring you to your future predicament. Terra Nova is not just about visiting the past, it's about reinventing human civilization.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

honorablechoice

[22]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 3
    I completely understand what was said in the starting comment.

Also.. What if something is done in the past which effects the future for one of the ancestors of a group member.. Perhaps they would vanish out of existance, and thus the influence from them with other group members would never have been.. And some random new guy is on the show out of nowhere and some of the past events that has taken place took place differently and then because the person was not there and this new guy is.. He/she wasn't where he/she should have been at a critical moment to save a group member so now somebody is dead in the group.. Or because of something done in the past of which effects the future.. Events in someone's life were not as once remembered.. So there personality changes.. Bleh.. Time travel is a messy business..

I garantee there will be a lot of holes.. I will try not to be picky about it so long as the show is very good... But if it is just average acting with an average TV show storyline that a child could think up with poor CGI and special effects.. I will obviously give it a huge negative on the rating side of things.. Better be darn good is all I'm saying.. As there are a huge amount of shows on the air that are complete crap and somehow manage to get multiple seasons while good shows get canceled off, half of the time on cliffhangers... Don't even get me started on all the commercials.. 1 hr episodes put to 40 minutes.. If thats the case.. stop with just putting out only 10-12 episodes a season unless each episode is gunna be 2 hrs long.. Especially with the wait between seasons themselves.

Euryales

[23]Jul 19, 2011

There are different views of what 'time travel' could be. There is the idea of it used in Back to the Future - that time is one stream and, if tampered with, could be changed completely or totally messed up. That is the view you are taking here. The other is that time -cannot- be changed, that everything has already been done including time travel. So, going into the past to try to change things might actually CAUSE things to be the way they are: ie, Terra Nova being the source of human life! Of course, that creates a paradox in a sense... humans are created by the ancestors they created... but that is why it's most likely the third option is the one used.

This is an idea I see being used more often now, where-as the previous ones were more common in 90's movies and such. One such example is an anime series recently released in Japan using elements of past interenet posts by a supposed "time traveler" John Titor- "Stein's Gate". The theory is that time is like a rope with a massive number of threads all composing it, all of them weaving around each other but none actually touching. Each thread is a different time universe/potential. If you 'change time', you aren't changing the world you were in- you're actually going to or creating another one, where that action happens. All potentials have lines of time, so rather than altering your present one, you're actually just universe hopping. That also means that there are a bunch of different 'yous' and people. So if, say, I travel in time and meet my grandmother and fall in love, then whisk her away (yes, I know, gross idea )... I won't be cancelling out MY existence, I'll be cancelling out my existence in THAT reality. I was still born, because MY grandmother from MY original reality never had that happen. Same thing if I go back into the past and kill myself. That just means that new reality won't have a me in it after that point in time.

It's a convenient way of dealing with paradox, and also a convenient way for the actual fellow who did the John Titor posts - who was supposedly a travelor from the future, taking a stop on his way to the 1970's around the year 1999-2001 or so, to explain how IF events he predicted did NOT happen, it wasn't because he was wrong... it was because his interference caused a new reality in which they didn't, which is the reality they are in. The reality HE is from still exists, in which a massive world war event happened in around 2010 or so. Hence he cannot be proven wrong. Handy theory for him It also means that virtually anyone could claim to be a time travelor who came back and altered events- and make up yarns about what would have happened otherwise. It be a great pick-up line: "Hey, you know you were going to be my brother's wife five years from now... but now, you're not, because I'm going to sweep you off your feet."

boat27

[24]Aug 20, 2011
    • level: 7

As I understand this show. They are going to take enough people to make a small town. What 300-500.

By Dr. Barry Starr, Stanford University "If you start a new population with a group of "average" people, then the numbers I've heard are around 160 or so, 80 men and 80 women. With some genetic engineering, you could bring that number down to 80 or so."

So starting with modern humans and some modern tools to get started, what do you think 1000 to 2000 year to build the population back to 1 billion? If they can survive thedinosaurs!!

By the time human get started and reach say the Bronze Age, there will be no copper or tin to make their new metal weapons from. Humans may be around when earth is back to the age of our times but those humans will have no resources to build their society to where we are today.

You never know they may do it better!

Edited on 08/20/2011 9:10pm
    Edited 3 total times.

TOCM19

[25]Aug 21, 2011
    • level: 14
    All they have to do is go with the single time line theory. It's simple, they aren't changing the past because whatever resource they take had always been taken, like terminator 1.

kanniballl

[26]Sep 1, 2011
    • level: 18

I see 3 outcomes for this, though there are MANY others out there. The whole "resouces" thing is covered by #3.

1) Pre-Destined. They always (to infinity) traveled back in time, used up some resources, and perhaps caused the extinction-level-event.

2) They go the alternate timeline thing. The alternate/parallel timeline used by most fiction writers takes care of the grandfather paradox. Think "Back to the Future 2," you make changes and thus toggle the timeline around, but you're still there.

3) They're going back millions of years prior to an extinction-level event. Most of the RESOURCE changes they could possibly do would be undone anyway. Sure it would affect the timeline, maybe terminally, but it wouldn't deprive future mankind of resources.

- Find some oil / coal. Burn it, returns back to earth as carbon, eventually becomes oil/coal again.

- Cut down some trees, well the forrest was going to be destroyed by a meteor anyway.

Sure it would CHANGE things, assuming it's not all pre-destined. Maybe they'd wipe out a species that should've survived (which would be bad).

But millions of years, and an extinction-level-event, would reset their RESOURCE usage enough for it to not matter. All of that CO we're pumping ino the air now? Within millions of years it would've settled back into the environment and eventauly become coal again via the circle-of-life.

jnajnow

[27]Sep 15, 2011

This should of been done after the meteor that hit on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico or at least before ancient civiliztion.

The meteor that extinguished the dinosaurs, will extinguish them. They should of known better, after all They came from the future.

ocnlp17

[28]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 3

You're thinking to much dude, just enjoy the show...

zuberlan

[29]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 2

I don't understand why people get caught up with the grandfather paradox so much. The paradox does not even exist in theoretical physics, which is what most scientists believe in. What happens when you go back into time and change something that changedoes not change the timeline that you came from but instead creates an alternate reality that exists adjacent to reality you come from.

CharlesTheBold

[30]Sep 18, 2011
    • level: 7
    I don't think time travel is possible, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if the story is good.

I have a more practical question, which I've already discussed with a friend of mine. Why do they send themselves back into the dinosaur era? Dinosaurs died off 63 million years ago. Why don't they send themselves back 50 million years so they won't have to contend with any dangerous animals? (But then there would be no excitement and no show)

kanniballl

[35]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 18

This should of been done after the meteor that hit on the edge of the Gulf of Mexico or at least before ancient civiliztion.

The meteor that extinguished the dinosaurs, will extinguish them. They should of known better, after all They came from the future.

2 things I've heard about the plot.

1) Their environment is dying, they have a very short amount of time before it can no longer sustain human life. Decades, maybe one or two centuries. Millions of years is better than centuries.

2) They didn't create the time portal themselves and purposely point it at that time range. They found it, explored it, and said "OK I guess it's this or nothing."

They're hopping back like 85 million years ago. The meteor supposedly hit 65 million years ago. So we're talking 20 million years of no meteor.

That's a LONG LONG time... considering homo sapiens have only been around for, what, thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of years?

That gives them enough time to start civilization again (using green tech), and leave the flippin' planet. Or perhaps build a planetary defense thing to keep the meteor from striking... as if they're going with alternative timelines they can prevent humans from developing and still exist (no grandfather paradox issues).

Heck, the meteor strike actually helps them. If they can progress enough to leave the planet, they can leave and the whole "reset" will give intelligent life a shot. Not exactly what happened before, but a good shot. Meanwhile the whole time in between the earth re-claims their released CO emissions and what-not.

thyraven

[36]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 2
    Its an diffrent timeline, end of discussion

Locke-La

[37]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 8

This was resolved that way. (Szene with the first Probe)

But the the szene with the sixes at the rocks, it changed the whole szenario.

mermayd

[39]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 19
    "... there is the problem of the time traveling: ok, it can't generate a grandfather paradox, but there are things that in the past (even million years ago) can influence the present.

let's talk about resources : if they mine a mineral vein or they cut a forest (which would have become pretoleum), let's say in modern-day texas, there won't be the same resources available in the present, thus changing the future and changing the same factors that made them going into the past. Beyonds, if you use the most easy-to-get resources, they won't be available to early civilizations, so....

This would be so easily resolved by saying they are not going into the past, but in some kind of parallel universe, one in which, for example, the asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs and in which mammals and then humans never took over."

That seems to be exactly what they're saying. Frankly, it's a bit hokey. You spend so much time suspending disbelief watching these kinds of shows.

My favourite bit was how he just breaks out of prison, no problem and then into the other place, also with little problem. They have the worst security in the history of humanity.

Also, if they aren't able to return to the future, are they at least able to communicate with the future? - I couldn't really tell from what happened. If not, then how do the people in the future even know that there is a colony in the past. For all they know everyone dies during the journey. There are way too many holes in the plot for my liking.

And can they please get rid of the naff cliches.

ekim726

[40]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 9

Did you see the show??? It is all explained for you in the show. But there seems to be some sort of twist brewing so keep that in mind while watching.