Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

the problem of Terra Nova (at least for me)

einarre

[41]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 10

Did u even see it?

At the probe it was stated: "alternate timeline"

Btw good show, Avatar meets Outcasts. Love it so far.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SephDM

[42]Sep 30, 2011
    • level: 3
    I love when people get wrapped up in the rationality and reasoning behind sci-fi. Its escapist fantasy for the imagination. Its a dream. Its for fun. It doesn't have to make perfect sense. Not right away. Maybe not later. But I'm pretty sure they don't know where it will end. Lost was the best series ever until the end episode, where for me it lost its focus. The hyper religious explanation was a severe letdown. They could have posited some new take on a mystical explanation for existence but instead they relied on tried and true, heaven/hell.. I don't see this series as having that kind of weight. I think its just a fun premise thus far. Braga has written many fantastic episodic adventures. Don't think it will be a letdown.
    (25 minutes into episode one, having a smoke break)

kanniballl

[43]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 18

einarre wrote:

Did u even see it?

At the probe it was stated: "alternate timeline"

Btw good show, Avatar meets Outcasts. Love it so far.

Agreed, my theories were posted before the Pilot aired.

The way everyone was going on about Paradoxes I'd assumed that what read was wrong and people heard that they weren't in an alternate timeline.

shrioux

[44]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 5

HI, I've read a lot of the issues people are having with the time travel, and it affecting the future. They address this within the first 30 minutes of the first episode. The daughter points out the probe that they sent back and couldn't find in the future, thus proving that they are in an alternate timelime. Thats why they knew it was safe for them to travel back there.

As for if they will travel back and forth and/or bring animals and plants to the future is pointless. They may travel back and forth for some stories who knows, but the premise is that they are going there to build their lives again, and eventually get everyone there.

I think this show has plenty of possibility, and is showing the right amount of complex story, with episodic structure for it to finally last the sci-fi curse.

danddharmon

[45]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 1

Dude. They already explained this in Genesis. The girl explained it while talking about the probe. They sent the probe through first. Then, when they could find no trace of the probe in their own time, they concluded it had gone to the past in an ALTERNATE time line.

foxxy1223

[46]Oct 4, 2011
    • level: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_%28TV_series%29