Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Why is everybody hatin on this show?

  • Avatar of Sportsfan_03

    Sportsfan_03

    [1]Oct 10, 2011
    • member since: 07/09/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5

    It's still entertaining no matter how bad said animations are...they look good, not great, but good. I feel like everyone is expecting a movie in each hour episode. I like it, and I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can agree with me, cause all I've seen so far is bashing.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SeanArata

    SeanArata

    [2]Oct 11, 2011
    • member since: 11/24/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1

    I totally agree. It really bothers how many people seem to hate this show (this site practically makes a sport out of it). What happened to just being able to watch a show for the pure enjoyment factor. I feel like Lost kind of screwed that up in a way as people are expecting huge things right out of the gate. Just give the show a try, geez....

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Frenz9

    Frenz9

    [3]Oct 11, 2011
    • member since: 03/15/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 490
    Probably due to the over hype, 'Lost meets Jurassic Park'. With a premise so good and then they do so little.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of quasar9

    quasar9

    [4]Oct 11, 2011
    • member since: 06/04/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 21
    I agree too, with all the bashing that happens right from the first episode of new series these days hardly any of the good shows get a chance...just give the show a chance to prove itself. Besides its not like the animation etc takes away from the show, I don't even think it's that bad at all, I'm quite enjoying Terra Nova.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roams

    roams

    [5]Oct 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/23/02
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 145

    Sportsfan_03 wrote:


    It's still entertaining no matter how bad said animations are...they look good, not great, but good. I feel like everyone is expecting a movie in each hour episode. I like it, and I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can agree with me, cause all I've seen so far is bashing.



    I dislike the show for it writing... I'm totally fine with the special FX or the actors... I find the premise awesome... even the direction which I find so so would still be acceptable... but these stories really REALLY blow.


    It feels like they are wasting all this budget serving us a "family drama" running over really boaring episodic concept shows... a virus that makes you regress in your memory? really? Didn't Star Trek cover all of those in like 4 or 5 iterations over all the spin-offs?


    Who cares about all these teenage romances??? This will go the way of the re-envisioned "V", down the crapper.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sportsfan_03

    Sportsfan_03

    [6]Oct 12, 2011
    • member since: 07/09/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    The "teen romances" were hardly even shown in the last episode, not only that it's getting them into trouble with the Sixers now. If anything, it will bring a storyline when the ex-girlfriend left behind joins the colony (cause we all know it's probably going to happen lol

    I agree the virus storyline was a little eh, I thought the pterosuar story was good (despite the escape of an ending...) I'm just saying I think we're all judging too early, there's still nine episodes left in the season, and I'm sure things will get more drastic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Gerri

    Gerri

    [7]Oct 12, 2011
    • member since: 10/11/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    It's a shame people are not so supportive as the show really hasgreat potential. The cast is really good especially Jason O'Mara and Stephen Lang. The look of the show is awesome and the special effects are actually pretty good. The only thing lacking is really good writing. There are so many unanswered questions that the writers could tap into. I'm not expecting another Battlestar Gallacticabut the producers need to up theregame and get some goodwriters on board and make this show really interesting. They have invested a lot of money into this show and it would be aterrible waste if it only lasted one season.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jimman1

    jimman1

    [8]Oct 12, 2011
    • member since: 01/06/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 45

    Hey,


    I think the reason why people are hating on this show is because it has been a big letdown for them. People were expecting a better quality show. The writing has`nt been great, the acting has been ok at best. The father I do like, the mother not at all. The kids are formulaic, the brooding teenage son, the smart daughter who fills in the gapsof thestory for the audience. Of course the cute little daughter who so far has been on less then the dino`s.


    The plots need to be better, we have all seen the mysterious virus episode done to death on plenty of other shows. I`m not asking for dinos all the time we would get bored of that. But the stories and the acting needs to be better. I had a feeling this show would be in trouble simply because it`s on a network. They are limited to what they can do.


    That girl in the first episode who ran from the car and was attacked by the dino`s andyet shelived!?! That`s ridiculous, that was the first time I rolled my eyes. That girl should have died and they could have used that to end the episode with a funeral for her. Which would have taught the audience that these people are living in a very dangerous environment. It could have been used a great device to bring the father and son together again.


    But no because it`s on a network that can`t happen. If you watched the pilot episode of "The Walking Dead" one of the first thingsyou see is a sheriff shooting a little girl in the head. Yes she is a zombie but you would NEVER see that on a network. My point is that the show could never get that dark or grim. It has to get gritty and draw us in. So far the jungle and the environment have`nt been scary.


    If the writing was any good we would be fearing some of the people as well as the dino`s. I will watch this season because I`m hoping it picks up with the 6er`s and some kind of battle between the camps.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of roams

    roams

    [9]Oct 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/23/02
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 145

    Gerri wrote:


    It's a shame people are not so supportive as the show really hasgreat potential. The cast is really good especially Jason O'Mara and Stephen Lang. The look of the show is awesome and the special effects are actually pretty good. The only thing lacking is really good writing. There are so many unanswered questions that the writers could tap into. I'm not expecting another Battlestar Gallacticabut the producers need to up theregame and get some goodwriters on board and make this show really interesting. They have invested a lot of money into this show and it would be aterrible waste if it only lasted one season.



    We have the same read on the situation... so why are you supportive and why am I not?


    Because I know FOX doesn't know what their doing, they don't understand good TV or know how to fix a bad show... I have no faith in anyone correcting the situation.


    It was the same thing with V... they have everything they need to make a great show except one thing... one key thing that all that budget apparently can't buy... a bunch of pieces of paper with a great idea on em.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of xxderektranxx

    xxderektranxx

    [10]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 10/29/09
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3
    I have to agree that the writing isn't good enough. The way everything has played out so far is just not interesting at all. What they are trying to make interesting isn't working for me. The most interesting part of this show was the writing on the rocks... Yea i got excited at writing on rocks and well.. that was like one scene. bleh Another thing is the look and feel of the show. Are they really serious with the army guys and girls wearing like junior football gear? Even the setup of Terra Nova seems off. Basically to get from one side of tera nova you have to go in a big circle or cross a huge field of crops.... raelly??? Yea it looks pretty but its just another "what were they thinking" moment. Maybe its cause im older or i've been spoiled by more mature shows. This seems like a disney movie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BLacqWyng

    BLacqWyng

    [11]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 82

    Judging by the rating on TV.com 8.1 (pretty good I think in average) , the "haters" are a minority. Yes, the show is not perfect (yet?) and can do with a few tune-ups, but what show is... overall I like it and am still anxious to see next's weeks episode. I don't get it that people that don't like a show (which is perfectly OK to do, I don't get wild or worse over 99% of the shows aired) just resort to other shows. I guess it's easier to trash the shows they DON'T, then to show a little support to the shows they DO like. Internet "critics" seem to enjoy to flame more then contribute constructively, IMO its how the net works and doesn't say anything much in relation to any subjects discussed, in this case Terra Nova

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lancerino

    lancerino

    [12]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 03/05/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 54

    SeanArata wrote:


    I totally agree. It really bothers how many people seem to hate this show (this site practically makes a sport out of it). What happened to just being able to watch a show for the pure enjoyment factor. I feel like Lost kind of screwed that up in a way as people are expecting huge things right out of the gate. Just give the show a try, geez....


    You are right Lost screwed everything up for all the other shows. IT showed us all the possibiltys of good TV.


    Falling skies and Terra Nova are not bad shows. In fact they are pretty much standard for what has been airing these past years.


    Thats why some people dont undertstand were all the critisism is coming from.


    Its shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Justified, Dexter and co that made us get used to a higher standard in TV.And its because of that a show like Terra Nova will, to some people, ( me included ) come off as a big disappointment.


    There is nothing at stake here. You dont get the sense of panic that you should when they are outside of Terra Nova. It is clear that noone of the maincast is going to die or get injured badly.


    So I do not fear for any of them. Even that girl that got chewed on by a dino didnt die. She didnt even lose the leg. You can only do that somany times untill it gets old. That works for a Movie but not for a TV show. Anyways, im going to watch the First season because this show deserves a chance and "some" patience.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lancerino

    lancerino

    [13]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 03/05/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 54
    Also the whole "if you dont like it, leave" doesnt count here. We are all watching the show. Some of us like were its going some dont. we should be able to express that without people essentially telling us to f*ck off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [14]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    lancerino wrote:


    You are right Lost screwed everything up for all the other shows. IT showed us all the possibiltys of good TV.


    Falling skies and Terra Nova are not bad shows. In fact they are pretty much standard for what has been airing these past years.


    Thats why some people dont undertstand were all the critisism is coming from.


    Its shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Justified, Dexter and co that made us get used to a higher standard in TV.And its because of that a show like Terra Nova will, to some people, ( me included ) come off as a big disappointment.


    ...



    Eh, Lost "spoiled the masses" but there have been great TV shows on the air before that... either on cable, premium cable, or from our friends in Europe.


    Sure, I would love for all of TV to have the great writing / production value / etc of some of the early seasons of Lost, or (Season 1 of) Heroes, or BBC's Jekyll, or Spartacus: Blood and Sand, or Dexter, or whatever... but the same way I can't expect every novel I pick up to be worthy of an award I can't expect every TV show to be incredible.



    As it stands, so far I'm watching it. I think it's alright and there's not a lot competing for my attention @ 8AM Monday now that SyFy is taking a break from Eureka/Warehouse13... just "How I Met Your Mother" which I casually watch on my DVR anyway.


    I'd love for it to be better, and hope they go into the mystery / conspiracy side of things with the Sixers and the son's Rock Drawings / Formulas but so far it's "alright"



    On a side note, it looks like they might introduce some mystery/conspiracy stuff with the Sixers soon. One of the teasers for the next (or upcoming) episode leads me to believe/hope that's the case.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [15]Oct 14, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,876
    They're not going to waste well written scripts on early episodes without getting to know the characters properly first, there's quite a few of them. I would rather have the meaty stuff later when we understand more about them. The second season of Buffy was awesome due to the foundation set by the first, and the first was nowhere near the best.
    I'm enjoying it in its rudimentary beginnings, so I should love it later.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CGOrange

    CGOrange

    [16]Oct 15, 2011
    • member since: 10/14/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    Yaspaa wrote:
    They're not going to waste well written scripts on early episodes without getting to know the characters properly first, there's quite a few of them. I would rather have the meaty stuff later when we understand more about them. The second season of Buffy was awesome due to the foundation set by the first, and the first was nowhere near the best.
    I'm enjoying it in its rudimentary beginnings, so I should love it later.


    gbbbh
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CGOrange

    CGOrange

    [17]Oct 15, 2011
    • member since: 10/14/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    xxderektranxx wrote:
    I have to agree that the writing isn't good enough. The way everything has played out so far is just not interesting at all. What they are trying to make interesting isn't working for me. The most interesting part of this show was the writing on the rocks... Yea i got excited at writing on rocks and well.. that was like one scene. bleh Another thing is the look and feel of the show. Are they really serious with the army guys and girls wearing like junior football gear? Even the setup of Terra Nova seems off. Basically to get from one side of tera nova you have to go in a big circle or cross a huge field of crops.... raelly??? Yea it looks pretty but its just another "what were they thinking" moment. Maybe its cause im older or i've been spoiled by more mature shows. This seems like a disney movie.


    Apple's new building is going to be a ring that you have to walk around. Design does happen, even if it doesnt always make sense.

    Lost was a show filled with a series of mysteries and connections. That's why everyone liked it. Like a song full of hook phrases. A series of orgasms. Their first season it seemed the writers were writing anything so that they wouldn't get canceled.

    Terra Nova is very different than Lost, in almost every way, other than being in an area full of plants. The main characters are a family and as such the story is going to revolve around them. We probably wont be seeing episodes all from different characters points of view. Though that would be cool and interesting.

    Yeah it's not a perfect show, and it could be better in a lot of ways but in the end. It's entertaining. I hope for a lot of people. Enough at least so the network doesn't cancel it. It must be an expensive show to make, unlike shows like jersey shore. Gotta give them credit for at least trying or else the only thing on tv will be reality tv and law and order. Give it a chance. It could be great.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kepa55

    kepa55

    [18]Oct 15, 2011
    • member since: 11/25/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 113

    I have to agree with jimman1; people are simply disappointed. They expected one thing, but got another. I was pretty sure that this was going to be a drama with dinosaurs, and that's what I got. I've no problem with the CGI, when you grew up in the 90s pretty much anything they throw at you these days is pretty good. And of course, it's very different to do, say, a spaceship or a ghost with human features, than a T.Rex or a Compsognathus.


    Genre shows unfortunately usually tend to bring out both the love and the hate. Just look at something like Supernatural, there are plenty of episodes with both 10/10 and 1/10 reviews. And looks like Terra Nova is no exception.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IdiotBoxx

    IdiotBoxx

    [20]Oct 15, 2011
    • member since: 08/08/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 862

    The show is watchable, but it's nothing I would brag about to people about being a great show. I'm definitely giving the show a chance, but as others have stated, the writing/stories aren't that great. Hopefully it gets better. Definitely no where near as good as LOST. It reminds me of a Avatar meets Jurassic Park. I expect the story will pick up when we start finding about the drawings found at the waterfall. Maybe these are just filler episodes and the good stories are on the way.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.