Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Why is everybody hatin on this show?

  • Avatar of wwworldclique

    wwworldclique

    [21]Oct 16, 2011
    • member since: 09/15/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 32
    It always frustrates me when people say things like, "Oh, people don't like this show because it was disappointing"-- i.e., they expected one thing and got another.

    That's a lot of hogwash. Plenty of shows and movies turned out to be the opposite of what everyone expected them to be and became hits. A great example is The Matrix. Everyone thought that it was going to be some martial arts sci fi flick with cool action sequences where the characters are superhuman-like beings who fly around in Asian outfits when in reality the "kung fu" scenes that were in the trailer only comprised maybe 20% of the movie; the rest takes place in Zion with helpless human beings living in a horrible dystopian future. No one was disappointed, because the writing was so excellent that no one cared that The Matrix wound up being totally different than from what was in the trailer.

    People are criticizing Terra Nova because bottom line, the writing is abysmal. If people are disappointed, it's not because they "got one thing" and "expected another;" it's because the writing is flat out lazy. It's even lazy by Highlander/ Xena: Princess Warrior/V.I.P. standards, and those were shows that cost nothing to produce. The writers aren't even trying to produce scripts that have any intelligence, suspense, or real drama in them. They're just coasting. Look at "Inception." They basically just copied The Birds. That's all they did. Didn't add any new twists or turns in the story to update it. They just copied the story. The writers even copied the scenes from the movie where the main character is sitting in some location minding her own business and the birds slowly start gathering nearby on a structure before they launch a full on attack.

    "What Remains" was even lazier. The writers created "suspense" and "drama" over... wait for it... Elisabeth losing her memory and remembering Malcolm. Wow, I was practically on the edge of my seat with that one. I mean, who knew that Elisabeth would remember Jim??? And when it turned out that Jim's cold was the "cure" to the virus, you could've knocked me over with a feather! No, but seriously--I've seen more suspense-filled episodes on Land of the Lost and no, I am not being sarcastic. Watch one episode of that program (they're on YouTube) and you'll see the difference between writing that tries to create drama and suspense and writing that just doesn't care one way or the other to.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AndreBarghett

    AndreBarghett

    [22]Oct 17, 2011
    • member since: 10/11/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Too many people complaining, for Instance with the plot holes, I just fill them in with my imagination i.e. "they use time capsules too send messages" if you say "they are in adifferenttime stream so it wont work" and I would simply reply *possible spoiler* Shot your pie hole and keep watching". The show heroes made absolutely no sense but it was still fun to watch. I don't get how some people cant just enjoy themselves.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pazma

    Pazma

    [23]Oct 18, 2011
    • member since: 04/19/11
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 9
    Why are people hatin'? Because it's a great premise for a show, they made a big deal out of Spielberg being involved, there's dinosaurs....and it still sucks. I hated Lost, so the argument that Lost ruined this show because of the expectation level is ridiculous, at least for me. One thing that Lost did have though was a great first season, I was enthralled and cared about the characters. This show doesn't even do that. The landscape and dinos aren't scary in the least bit, I'm not even sure how they managed to make dinosaurs seem unscary. THEY'RE FREAKIN' DINOSAURS! In the history of the Earth there has never been more fierce or scary creatures but they seem to be no threat whatsoever on this piece of crap. Apparently the dinos on this show are bullet proof too, how many bullets did they take in the second episode and just come back for more? But even beyond that, the characters are bland, boring and predictable, it's like kids TV. That Commander Nathaniel Taylor character looks like he was lifted from a computer game. The main family is boring as hell, I hate that Josh character and his stupid 'romance' with Skye, it's like watching Home And Away. The bartender/secret 6'r isn't a very good secret insider after just trusting Josh with info that he can get things, like people, for him. Especially seeing as how Josh is the only cops son! I could go on for ever, the more I think about it the more this show sucks. Although I'll probably stay watching the first season just to see where they go with it I'm not very hopeful. After five episodes I'd give it 4/10 but that's mostly because the women are hot. Seriously lame!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Brunte81

    Brunte81

    [24]Oct 20, 2011
    • member since: 01/17/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 191

    Animations are bad. Actors are not that good and the cloths/armour look very cheap and silly. Everything look cheap.


    Virus that make them forget? Killer birds? What? Every episode so far have been a bit silly and stupid. The only character I like is the cop. The rest I don't get any feelings for they just act like first time actors... or something.


    Dinos look cool, not the best animations on some. But I like to see more. Attack the base and give them pain and fear. Kill some of the main actors too give us "OMG!! WHAT JUST HAPPEN" reaction or something. It's too happy and friendly. I need more darkness. xD


    And it's also a bit racist, in every episode it seem to kill black people more then the rest.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lancerino

    lancerino

    [25]Oct 20, 2011
    • member since: 03/05/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 54

    kanniballl wrote:


    lancerino wrote:


    You are right Lost screwed everything up for all the other shows. IT showed us all the possibiltys of good TV.


    Falling skies and Terra Nova are not bad shows. In fact they are pretty much standard for what has been airing these past years.


    Thats why some people dont undertstand were all the critisism is coming from.


    Its shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Justified, Dexter and co that made us get used to a higher standard in TV.And its because of that a show like Terra Nova will, to some people, ( me included ) come off as a big disappointment.


    ...



    Eh, Lost "spoiled the masses" but there have been great TV shows on the air before that... either on cable, premium cable, or from our friends in Europe.


    Sure, I would love for all of TV to have the great writing / production value / etc of some of the early seasons of Lost, or (Season 1 of) Heroes, or BBC's Jekyll, or Spartacus: Blood and Sand, or Dexter, or whatever... but the same way I can't expect every novel I pick up to be worthy of an award I can't expect every TV show to be incredible.



    As it stands, so far I'm watching it. I think it's alright and there's not a lot competing for my attention @ 8AM Monday now that SyFy is taking a break from Eureka/Warehouse13... just "How I Met Your Mother" which I casually watch on my DVR anyway.


    I'd love for it to be better, and hope they go into the mystery / conspiracy side of things with the Sixers and the son's Rock Drawings / Formulas but so far it's "alright"



    On a side note, it looks like they might introduce some mystery/conspiracy stuff with the Sixers soon. One of the teasers for the next (or upcoming) episode leads me to believe/hope that's the case.



    Well of course they spoiled it for the masses. Because not everybody has premium cable.


    Anyway , the biggest problem for me with this show is the "familyshow angle".


    For me its the only thing keeping this show down.


    Also were are those 4 mio per episode going to? Have you seen the first few seconds of the runaway? Those awefull actors wearing those awefull footballpads theire trying to sell us as armor. seriously go and watch it again its ridiculous. Also the episodes have a "unfinished" feel to them. Like they were rushed or something.


    I really hope they drop the famiylshow angle for season 2. That would make this show fantastic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwworldclique

    wwworldclique

    [26]Oct 20, 2011
    • member since: 09/15/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 32
    Brunte81 wrote:

    And it's also a bit racist, in every episode it seem to kill black people more then the rest.



    Not only that, did you notice that up until recently, the "evil Sixers" were predominantly stocked with minority actors? I have a theory about that, that the casting directors did that to make the Sixers look "menacing" to play up the fact that they're supposed to be evil. As it's revealed that the Sixers are really good guys, there'll be less minorities filling out the ranks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kamill85

    Kamill85

    [27]Oct 21, 2011
    • member since: 07/03/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 14

    lancerino wrote:


    Its shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Justified, Dexter and co that made us get used to a higher standard in TV.And its because of that a show like Terra Nova will, to some people, ( me included ) come off as a big disappointment.




    The Walking Dead, seriously? Every single episode of that show made me facepalm more times than anything else I've seen my entire life. It's just horrible.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sportsfan_03

    Sportsfan_03

    [28]Oct 21, 2011
    • member since: 07/09/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    lancerino wrote:

    kanniballl wrote:


    lancerino wrote:


    You are right Lost screwed everything up for all the other shows. IT showed us all the possibiltys of good TV.


    Falling skies and Terra Nova are not bad shows. In fact they are pretty much standard for what has been airing these past years.


    Thats why some people dont undertstand were all the critisism is coming from.


    Its shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Justified, Dexter and co that made us get used to a higher standard in TV.And its because of that a show like Terra Nova will, to some people, ( me included ) come off as a big disappointment.


    ...



    Eh, Lost "spoiled the masses" but there have been great TV shows on the air before that... either on cable, premium cable, or from our friends in Europe.


    Sure, I would love for all of TV to have the great writing / production value / etc of some of the early seasons of Lost, or (Season 1 of) Heroes, or BBC's Jekyll, or Spartacus: Blood and Sand, or Dexter, or whatever... but the same way I can't expect every novel I pick up to be worthy of an award I can't expect every TV show to be incredible.



    As it stands, so far I'm watching it. I think it's alright and there's not a lot competing for my attention @ 8AM Monday now that SyFy is taking a break from Eureka/Warehouse13... just "How I Met Your Mother" which I casually watch on my DVR anyway.


    I'd love for it to be better, and hope they go into the mystery / conspiracy side of things with the Sixers and the son's Rock Drawings / Formulas but so far it's "alright"



    On a side note, it looks like they might introduce some mystery/conspiracy stuff with the Sixers soon. One of the teasers for the next (or upcoming) episode leads me to believe/hope that's the case.



    Well of course they spoiled it for the masses. Because not everybody has premium cable.


    Anyway , the biggest problem for me with this show is the "familyshow angle".


    For me its the only thing keeping this show down.


    Also were are those 4 mio per episode going to? Have you seen the first few seconds of the runaway? Those awefull actors wearing those awefull footballpads theire trying to sell us as armor. seriously go and watch it again its ridiculous. Also the episodes have a "unfinished" feel to them. Like they were rushed or something.


    I really hope they drop the famiylshow angle for season 2. That would make this show fantastic.

    I would have to agree that the family angle is maybe holding the show back, but right now it's also keeping the show together. You saw the end of Runaway, Jim may have to make a decision that could change the course of the story. It could also effect the family a lot! As for the dinosaurs that aren't "scary" I think that if they had maybe shown a few more death scenes (not trying to sound torturous ) but it would've shown that these characters aren't invincible and that there actually could be a chance for a main or secondary character to be seriously hurt in each episode. It hurts that surprise and dramatic factor when you know that somehow this person's going to be saved. Nevertheless, I am liking the Sixer involvement and interested in the whole connection with the future.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of palle007

    palle007

    [29]Oct 21, 2011
    • member since: 05/16/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 77

    It is just plain boring. Where is the imagination? I'm so bored that I haven't even seen the latest episode yet, if I ever will.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of headtoad

    headtoad

    [30]Oct 22, 2011
    • member since: 06/20/11
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 25

    sorry to say this show is poor and it will not get me watching it again

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of hell693

    hell693

    [31]Oct 22, 2011
    • member since: 09/23/11
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 323
    i dont know why but this show is getting interesting now and i like the graphics of the show it is like watching a movie for 40 minutes but with the same characters and not having to wait 2 years for a sequel.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [32]Oct 22, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,772

    Sportsfan_03 wrote:


    It's still entertaining no matter how bad said animations are...they look good, not great, but good. I feel like everyone is expecting a movie in each hour episode. I like it, and I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can agree with me, cause all I've seen so far is bashing.



    It's because it has impressive ratings, audiences were craving for these type of shows so it's only natural the fans of "rating challenged" shows would bash Terra Nova.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of piet8724

    piet8724

    [33]Oct 23, 2011
    • member since: 07/09/08
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 29
    IdiotBoxx wrote:

    The show is watchable, but it's nothing I would brag about to people about being a great show. I'm definitely giving the show a chance, but as others have stated, the writing/stories aren't that great. Hopefully it gets better. Definitely no where near as good as LOST. It reminds me of a Avatar meets Jurassic Park. I expect the story will pick up when we start finding about the drawings found at the waterfall. Maybe these are just filler episodes and the good stories are on the way.



    totaly agreing with you. It is a good opportunity to make a great serie but they are totaly out of it. I'm bored and not watching anymore!

    sorry for the english
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of myrddinde

    myrddinde

    [34]Oct 24, 2011
    • member since: 08/10/11
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 7
    Well, the story has so much potential but they really don't make enough of it.
    Let us look at the smart dinosaurs ... I can understand why they attack people int he open, but attacking armored cars makes no sense ...
    There is this guy on tv (forgot his name) in his reinforced plastic glass cage next to hungry lions and bears ... they don't go rampart to try to tear the thing apart, even if they are hungry. I don't see how the dinos would act differently, especially not if the people inside the cars fight back and the cars are armored and should provide enough protection against the smaller (screamer?) type of dinos ...
    Things like that totally turn me down ... I mean they even have a guy who is in charge of having dinos behave "natural" ...

    The SFX aren't great, but that is ok ... it is much harder to combine real scenery with sfx than like sci fi series having a total rendered scene, which will then ofc look better.
    But already the pilot had some things that did not make sense in the total rendered scene of the city ... those lights that was following lanes and producing weird sounds ... I really hate it when stuff doesn't make sense and with a total production cost of like 60-70 million dollar there should be enough budget to bring a geek who notices these kind of things ...

    Many story arcs are just there to produce action and not to bring the story forward which has lots of potential. Also the virus which erases memories ... ZZzZZzz ... she remembers her old friend but not the husband, this kind of stuff is just too selective to feel authentic and lacking authenticity ruins everything.

    I really like the show, the chars but they really need to shape up or it might lose viewers ... action where it is due ... more story ... more colony life ... more sixes (is that how you spell it?) ... what happened to the son ... and less action just to have a certain action quota.

    At least it is my 2 cents
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KRYPTONIANKiNG

    KRYPTONIANKiNG

    [35]Oct 26, 2011
    • member since: 10/07/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 4

    I think people are "hatin" because to the objective viewer it is clear that what could have been a refreshing sci-fi show has been mutilated for the masses.............................

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of IainGethin

    IainGethin

    [36]Oct 27, 2011
    • member since: 10/27/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    This show is awful. The first five episodes have done nothing to develop the main story in any significant way. It appears to be made up of a collection of random episodes inspired by Star Trek: Next Generation's worst 'filler' episodes'. I mean, the second episode being about migratory birds? Really? Then a memory loss bug? Really? Then a whole episode to introduce a box? Really? I'm officially giving up on this show.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [37]Oct 28, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,885
    Good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [38]Oct 28, 2011
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,772

    KRYPTONIANKiNG wrote:


    I think people are "hatin" because to the objective viewer it is clear that what could have been a refreshing sci-fi show has been mutilated for the masses.............................



    As opposed to Falling Skies, V, No Ordinary Family or all of the above?


    For refreshing Sci fi we have Fringe, this was advertised from day one as a mass appealing-feel good-pop corn-show.


    No one can say we've been "deceived" into believing this was the next The Event/Flashforward.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JeroenWierda

    JeroenWierda

    [39]Oct 30, 2011
    • member since: 06/24/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3
    I already dimmed my expectations for this show after seeing the extremely disappointing "Falling Skies". Steven Spielberg only seems to be able to produce or write shows that have a high "Disney" feel to it. With lots of mushy dialogs, and absolutely perfect kids. Who doesnt want to have kids that behave so perfect as the ones portrayed in Terra Nova and Falling Skies? It's totally unbelievable.

    Then the military... this commander guy.. i dont rember his name, looks like some clothing line model they picked up from somewhere. He supposedly has to come off as being some tough guy, but he looks like the absolute opposite with his perfectly styled hair and beard. Then again i dont even know what they would need military for in the jurrasic area. Yes you probably need to defend yourself, but no need for the military to do that unless you want to wage war with people.

    Which brings me to the sixes... why would they ever want to plant a stupid chewed out and done before countless time storyline? Isn't the story of people being sent back 65 million years in time not interesting enhough? There are so many interesting ways to take this forward.. and they choose this lazy a** route. I can live with the graphics and scenery, even the unbelievable 'camp site' with its heavily guarded entrance, but huge gaping holes between the wooden poles that make up the 'fence'. The story is the most important thing for a good TV show, and there just isn't one there. It's boring, unbelievable and cheesy... not exciting, thrilling and captivating. This show is such a disappointment that it borders on an insult to my brain!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [40]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    myrddinde wrote:
    she remembers her old friend but not the husband, this kind of stuff is just too selective to feel authentic and lacking authenticity ruins everything.



    Actually, that was one of the few believable parts. Not that Amnesia is as common as TV makes it out to be. I suffered short-term memory loss and stuff after an accident: I knew my name and the name of my family members but apparently couldn't recognize any of them... it can get strange. I also didn't know what day it was. It was only for several hours, and I don't remember any of that time... I have to go by what the doctors / family members told me.



    The other sufferers from the episode lost the last X years of their memory... in her case she was back in college when she knew that other scientist and before she met her husband. Sure, it's "convenient" in terms of story writing... but College + Medical school lasts for a long time... the fact that she ended up there isn't that far of a stretch.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.