Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Why is everybody hatin on this show?

  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [41]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    The Teen storyline just bothers me. It's like "The Gates," an otherwise solid premise but suffers the 1/3 of the episode that deals with stupid teenagers doing really stupid things and acting overly dramatic. At least the Pilot was horrendous with that, the whole "I hate you for protecting my sister" and then running into the dinosaur-infested jungle when you have NO clue what you're doing. The subsequent episodes' teen storylines weren't AS bad though.


    As for someone complaining about the "cliche" Sixer storyline, it's one of the few interesting things about the show now. It's mysterious, like the whole "The Others" bit on Lost towards the beginning/middle of the show. Then again, we haven't seen much of them / that so it's possible that part will stink.



    It's still... alright in my book. Not as great as I was hoping, but not too bad. For 8PM on a Monday the only other contender for my attention is "How I Met Your Mother" which I haven't liked as much as I used to lately.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of meddley

    meddley

    [42]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 03/17/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 6

    I Agree!


    First of all, I really dont understand why so many feel like other good shows made it worse for others. How so? Cant you get away with being lazy anymore? When a show gets as much funding as this one, they should be able to hire someone to write something good. Lost is also often used as an example of a good show, this is also beyond me, cause I think Lost is one of the crappiest shows I have seen in a long time.


    And as you said, this show has a good premise, but its wasted on, as you say lazy screen writing, copying stories told a thousand times. The idea of this colonel pissing off some powefull people in the future is also somewhat, eh strange. If they are so powerfull, there are apparantly many even more powerfull since it's him who is getting all the people and equipment? Yeah this can be explained,but at least at this point, I just dont buy it.Only thing that keeps me watching, as someone else here also mentioned,is the writing on the stones . At this point, that is the only really interesting clue to a storyline worth exploring.And this was introduced in the pilot, and sofar the rest of the episode are uninteresting stories that does little or nothing to a story arc. Yeah, we need to get to know the caracters, I could agree to a certain extent, but you still need to tell good stories, and why cant you do that at the same time as you have episodes relevant to a story arc??I will watch this season in the hope that something happens.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JeanSutherlan

    JeanSutherlan

    [43]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 09/27/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 2

    roams wrote:


    Sportsfan_03 wrote:


    It's still entertaining no matter how bad said animations are...they look good, not great, but good. I feel like everyone is expecting a movie in each hour episode. I like it, and I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can agree with me, cause all I've seen so far is bashing.



    I dislike the show for it writing... I'm totally fine with the special FX or the actors... I find the premise awesome... even the direction which I find so so would still be acceptable... but these stories really REALLY blow.


    It feels like they are wasting all this budget serving us a "family drama" running over really boaring episodic concept shows... a virus that makes you regress in your memory? really? Didn't Star Trek cover all of those in like 4 or 5 iterations over all the spin-offs?


    Who cares about all these teenage romances??? This will go the way of the re-envisioned "V", down the crapper.



    The show could be really good but it's the writing. It stinks. There's just no good lines, character development is weak and the whole premise of the show is filled with holes.



    We gave up watching it after the "memory regression" thing.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of meddley

    meddley

    [44]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 03/17/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 6

    Pazma wrote:
    Why are people hatin'? Because it's a great premise for a show, they made a big deal out of Spielberg being involved, there's dinosaurs....and it still sucks. I hated Lost, so the argument that Lost ruined this show because of the expectation level is ridiculous, at least for me. One thing that Lost did have though was a great first season, I was enthralled and cared about the characters. This show doesn't even do that. The landscape and dinos aren't scary in the least bit, I'm not even sure how they managed to make dinosaurs seem unscary. THEY'RE FREAKIN' DINOSAURS! In the history of the Earth there has never been more fierce or scary creatures but they seem to be no threat whatsoever on this piece of crap. Apparently the dinos on this show are bullet proof too, how many bullets did they take in the second episode and just come back for more? But even beyond that, the characters are bland, boring and predictable, it's like kids TV. That Commander Nathaniel Taylor character looks like he was lifted from a computer game. The main family is boring as hell, I hate that Josh character and his stupid 'romance' with Skye, it's like watching Home And Away. The bartender/secret 6'r isn't a very good secret insider after just trusting Josh with info that he can get things, like people, for him. Especially seeing as how Josh is the only cops son! I could go on for ever, the more I think about it the more this show sucks. Although I'll probably stay watching the first season just to see where they go with it I'm not very hopeful. After five episodes I'd give it 4/10 but that's mostly because the women are hot. Seriously lame!



    I Agree!



    First of all, I really dont understand why so many feel like other good shows made it worse for others. How so? Cant you get away with being lazy anymore? When a show gets as much funding as this one, they should be able to hire someone to write something good. Lost is also often used as an example of a good show, this is also beyond me, cause I think Lost is one of the crappiest shows I have seen in a long time.



    And as you said, this show has a good premise, but its wasted on, as you say lazy screen writing, copying stories told a thousand times. The idea of this colonel pissing off some powefull people in the future is also somewhat, eh strange. If they are so powerfull, there are apparantly many even more powerfull since it's him who is getting all the people and equipment? Yeah this can be explained,but at least at this point, I just dont buy it.Only thing that keeps me watching, as someone else here also mentioned,is the writing on the stones . At this point, that is the only really interesting clue to a storyline worth exploring.And this was introduced in the pilot, and sofar the rest of the episode are uninteresting stories that does little or nothing to a story arc. Yeah, we need to get to know the caracters, I could agree to a certain extent, but you still need to tell good stories, and why cant you do that at the same time as you have episodes relevant to a story arc??I will watch this season in the hope that something happens.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [45]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    meddley wrote:


    I Agree!


    First of all, I really dont understand why so many feel like other good shows made it worse for others. How so? Cant you get away with being lazy anymore?




    I can understand the sentiment in general and none of the below is in any way related to Terra Nova


    There are plenty of good shows out there. There are plenty of great shows, though you have to look a little harder (maybe on Cable, maybe something obscure, etc). Excellent becomes harder to find, but they're out there.


    However a handful of PRIMETIME shows did spoil SOME people to an extent. I've known a few people that, having only ever lived on PrimeTime TV, found a great / excellent show.


    And then for years afterwards had to hear them compare every-single-show to that excellent show. Even good and very-good shows. It's OK, but but writers obviously don't know what they're doing. They should take a lesson from BLA BLA BLA. That if the new show isn't as good as their new measuring stick, it deserves disdain. It gets kind of annoying, especially when the show they're bad-mouthing is actually pretty decent.


    It's like a parent being OK with their child's test scores of B-, B, and A-... then one day a switch goes off and they ride them hard to bring back A's and nothing lower.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [46]Oct 31, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    meddley wrote:


    First of all, I really dont understand why so many feel like other good shows made it worse for others. How so? Cant you get away with being lazy anymore? When a show gets as much funding as this one, they should be able to hire someone to write something good. Lost is also often used as an example of a good show, this is also beyond me, cause I think Lost is one of the crappiest shows I have seen in a long time.



    I can understand the sentiment in general and none of the below is in any way related to Terra Nova



    There are plenty of good shows out there. There are plenty of great shows, though you have to look a little harder (maybe on Cable, maybe something obscure, etc). Excellent becomes harder to find, but they're out there.


    However a handful of PrimeTime Network shows did spoil SOME people to an extent. I've known a few people that, having only ever lived on PrimeTime Network TV, found a great / excellent show. Maybe Lost, maybe 24, maybe some Cable show they rented on Netflix, etc.



    And then for years afterwards had to hear them compare every-single-show to that excellent show. Even good and very-good shows. It's OK, but but writers obviously don't know what they're doing. They should take a lesson from BLA BLA BLA. That if the new show isn't as good as their new measuring stick, it deserves disdain. It gets kind of annoying, especially when the show they're bad-mouthing is actually pretty decent.



    It's like a parent being OK with their child's test scores of B-, B, and A-... then one day a switch goes off and they ride them hard to bring back A's and nothing lower.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Just_Jos

    Just_Jos

    [47]Nov 9, 2011
    • member since: 02/23/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,567

    I really don't have any complaints about the show at the moment. Yes, there are some cheesy moments, But I guess that because I'm a softie.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ClayburnGriff

    ClayburnGriff

    [48]Nov 11, 2011
    • member since: 06/11/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    This explains it pretty well:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9120907/why_i_cant_finish_terra_nova.html

    What do you say to that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of houdvtv1

    houdvtv1

    [49]Nov 20, 2011
    • member since: 03/21/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 68

    I dont hate this show and its odd i wanna keep on watching but a real excitment i dont have. weird. people dont like the writing but common what can you write about with this concept? All i can think about is illness,storms, strange plants and animals etc.. its sci fy so i think u should not take everything so serious cause imo everythinggoes in a sci fy world. i always say this, try to write an episode for this show and you will see its hard to come up with something less obvious. btw i think fox will cancell this show anyways cause thats what they do best. cancell shows before they even got started. dont like that. give it a try and we will see.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HK1997

    HK1997

    [50]Nov 29, 2011
    • member since: 01/07/04
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 9

    Pretty much everything has been said already about why people are disappointed except for one:


    Was I the only one who was able to identify all "prehistoric" fruits by name AND taste from personal experience? Come on! If over a billion people on this planet know these fruits because they are from south east Asia they surely must be disqualified as a TV-Fruit from prehistoric times. That's like throwing in a "new" dinosaur which is in fact acted by a platypus.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zzbeach

    zzbeach

    [51]Dec 5, 2011
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 738

    Sci-fi fans are hating on this show for one reason: Today's tv sci-fi fans feel they are far too sophisticated for a tv sci-fi family adventure show. Yeah, they'll say the writing is bad or the sfx aren't up to standards, but the reality is they look down on a family style adventure show. Boil down every complaint written here against this show and what you get is today's tv sci-fi fans want soap operas and with a sci-fi theme.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KavzXoX

    KavzXoX

    [52]Dec 6, 2011
    • member since: 11/12/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 5

    Yes. Animation is bit too odd but as a syfy show, this showis great... And I personally believe that this show is actually way better than Stargate universe....without repeating same old syfy movies, Terra Nova presents something new to watch. Yes we know world is moving forward and someday we might fight wars between galaxies, but what if we could go back to an era where Earth looks greener and fresh?? Anyway thumbs up Terra Nova.. looking forward to watch Season 02

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [54]Dec 8, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    @zzbeach, isn't this show a family show with a sci fi theme?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mysticbeam

    mysticbeam

    [55]Dec 8, 2011
    • member since: 10/22/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,269

    1. the acting is awful



    2. the animation is bad



    3. there are alot of holes in the story



    4. the storylines are stupid

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zzbeach

    zzbeach

    [56]Dec 8, 2011
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 738

    Yaspaa wrote:
    @zzbeach, isn't this show a family show with a sci fi theme?


    It is a family show with a sci-fi theme. The problem is most tv sci-fi fans today dislike a family theme. Terra Nova should have been promoted as a family show not a sci-fi show. TV sci-fi fans today feel they are too sophisticated for family adventure shows. That's where all the hatin' stems from.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [57]Dec 8, 2011
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    you can't have a show set in the future with a portal leading to a earlier time as a family show, there's too much scifi going on not to be classed as scifi. I'm sick of this poor effects bullcrap as well, the effects are damn good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mysticbeam

    mysticbeam

    [58]Dec 8, 2011
    • member since: 10/22/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,269

    yeah the effects are great, thats why the dinosaurs in the movies made in the 90's look better and more realistic then the ones on the show

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kanniballl

    kanniballl

    [59]Dec 12, 2011
    • member since: 07/02/03
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 3,312

    mysticbeam wrote:


    yeah the effects are great, thats why the dinosaurs in the movies made in the 90's look better and more realistic then the ones on the show



    God, this comparison again.


    I'm not defending Terra Nova (animated Gif swordfish intro anyone?) but comparing a big-budget film using practical effects (animatronics) vs a TV show using CGI is like comparing a professional orchestra to your 10-year-old kid's school orchestra.


    The amount of money, time, prep, and overall quality are way different.



    The animated gif fish a few episodes back was apalling, but the dinos haven't been THAT bad for a TV show. They can't go completely gonzo on the budget every episode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of arniarent

    arniarent

    [60]Dec 13, 2011
    • member since: 01/07/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 30
    The show should have been a action/drama instead of family/drama. It needed to be much darker, like Battlestar Galactica darker and the plots needed to be much more complicated. Even the characters are very weak, and I wouldn't care if they all died next show... maybe that's for that best.

    Expensive show as well, too bad, wasted money.

    Cancel it already please, bring back the reality cooking show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.