Terra Nova Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

You Think Terra Nova Is Great? - Tell Us Why (Plus a Poll - Cut Terra Nova?)

Should There Be Another Pilgrimage?

GlenKimberley

[1]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 5

First of all let me kick off by saying that I was amongst the many, many fans of this series when the early trailers were aired.

I was looking forward with great anticipation to seeing this brand new sci-fi show with a premise that promised so much. It seemed to have everything that I personally enjoy in science fiction, time travel, dinosaurs, action etc and was being produced by Steven Spielberg no less. It couldn't go wrong could it? Well it could and, in my opinion as well as many others, it did go spectacularly wrong for more reasons than I care to list here right now. (My review with a brief run-downof those reasons can be viewed here)

For me everything is just too plastic and personally I think it should be cut unless there is a drastic change and improvement in the writing, acting and direction.Opinions between other fans however seem to be divided with almost as many saying it's great as there are those calling for it to be cut.

Well it's quite easy to see why some want the show to be cancelled, because for the most part those fans wanting such usually outline their reasons, but why do others still see Terra Nova as being "Great!" "The best show on TV" "An amazing show"?

I'm genuinely intrigued by these positive comments, so if you are one of Terra Nova's biggest fans and think the show is 'Great' or 'Amazing' then please say so right here on this thread and please tell us why you feel this way.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nheniff

[2]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 1

I think Terra Nova is great I have been waiting for a show like this. I hope they continue and have a second season.

sureshotqxc

[3]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 4

I am a fan of science fiction and have(had?) hopes for this show. i did not hear much of the hoopla reagrding this show before it began and so didn't have a lot of preconcieved expectations.

Premise was good and had a lot of potential but too many of the episodes pandered to the 'teen angst' crowd. Still the episodes were getting better and I would like to see the show continue for a seconds half of the season at least.

In the past several years, I think the networks have been too quick to cancel shows. A lot of programs that had great potential were axed too quickly because they couldn't find their footing soon enough.

I always thing that if Star Trek: The Next Generation' aired for the first time today, it would never have made it out of the first year. Its first year episodes were BAD but it developed into a great show. I think there are many series that deserve more of a chance and Terra Nova is one of them.

Edited on 12/31/2011 12:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.

GlenKimberley

[4]Dec 31, 2011

That's super nheniffSmilebut please tell us why you think it's great.

Edited on 12/31/2011 6:17pm

siiixon

[5]Jan 10, 2012

i like shows like this , its cool to see people colonize new places, they do not have many shows like that... i also enjoyed earth2 a lot and river world (older one) would have made a great show ... it does not always have to be fighting, its the day to day adventures that make it enjoyable to me

lets put it this way , with shows like this i imagine how awesome would be to be there ... with most other shows i do not have that, really who the hell wants to be part of theimperial orthe cylon war ?!!! i love those shows, but i would not want to be part of that life/war ... this adventure how ever i would sign up for with out thinking about (if it would be an option)

i really hope the story continues, i could watch this for years and years

Edited on 01/10/2012 4:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ma_liky

[6]Jan 13, 2012
    • level: 13
    I do not really love it, it is ok. It is better than most of the shows out there. It has good story some good characters and a good plot. I like it. I would wanna see how it plays out for another season. Some shows start great and ends in total disgrace. This one started ok. It is true it needs some corrections there is some wholes in it but with some good writing it can get a nice twist and become a great show. Now they are cut of the future, alone in this new world, making the life of the unknown , trying to get through a life problems that we from the future take for grounded. Mankind in making. And it has a nemeses father and a son, how poetic. So another season would be quite ok and reasonable. Cutting a show with potential after only 12 episodes is really unfair.

teamslapstick

[7]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 2
    I think the show is ok and would like to see it renewed for season 2.

One of the problems I've noticed with people who are Terra Nova bashing is that they seem to think this is a serious Sci-fi drama. It is not. It's a semi-serious show about people travelling back in time and starting a new. It's not designed to be leading the way in drama, dialogue and originality but instead an hour (or 40 minutes for you naughty downloaders) of simple entertainment. (simple meaning no brain, no extra thought)

I for one struggle to sit through some of the more in depth shows after a long day at work. Sometimes I just want to see people running through the jungle shooting each other and playing silly buggers with their love lives. For that reason I rate Terra Nova along the likes of (with no genre in mind) Eureka, NCIS Los Angeles, Warehouse 13, Smallville, Doctor Who (for the UK crew) and Chuck. All of the previous shows are OK, they're not great, they won't go down in history as timeless classics, but nonetheless they will be enjoyed by the viewers for the time they're on.

luzneutra

[8]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 3

Well, I am not a "terranova lover" or "terranova hater". Those extremes are almost funny, since both think passionately about the show.

The thing is I don't believe its that bad (as the bashers say), nor as good (as the lovers do).

The three best things about Terra Nova are the potential of the premise (all the possibilities), the potential of the characters in that setting, and the soundtrack.

The three worst things are the lack of malice in character development, the need to span out to the "family" market with "cute" subplots, and Lucas cartoon villain motivations.

But I firmly believe the qualities should be considered above the others, because those can be fixed with a little better writing and the season was going there on the last part.

Keep canceling shows and you'll get to a point where only tired and tried formulas will be able to work on the fly. Good premises and shows are cancelled every season. Just in the SF area one can see that shows like FastForward, Invasion, and The Event had something to go on. Lots of things play in the cancellation, a bad time schedule, long hiatus in the midseason cooling the fans with endless reruns, difficult plots to enter late in the season, networks interfering with plotlines for the sake of market shares, to name a few.

How many shows are out there without lawyers, serial killers, elite police squads, spoof spies, medical dramedies, etc? not many. And here we have a SF premise, with a family drama, sort of mistery, sort of adventurous, sort of war strategy, sort of romantic epic, and we're not willing to give it a chance?

I think in the conception of the first season somebody decided to keep the show on an old-fashioned concept: the family adventure show, in the way of Lost in Space, Land of Giants, those sixties and seventies shows. No moral questions. No depth in motivations. Cartoon villains with rule the world and get rich motivations. Good vs. Evil plot twists. Etc. And we're not used to that stuff anymore, it doesn't float today.

Think about the season finale as a start point. They are cut-off from the future. No more technology, no more pilgrimages. A whole new time fracture or something like that on the badlands. An enemy army with no mercy for civilians, a damaged community with not very good weapons, not very good soldiers. Not a bad starting point. They will not convert it into a full adult concept like The Walking Dead or American Horror History, but we don't need it to be cheesy either. Give the characters depth, some malice, maybe conflicting motivations. Make several antagonists, Lucas and his childish hate is not enough, the sixers are a joke. Make big commander into a less infalible guy, have him make mistakes, be cruel, be unjust sometimes.

A little bit of Battlestar Galactica should sprinkle the plot. Maybe a way to save the show is to stop trying for everybody to get it. Stop all plot devices for little kids, for example, or the teen angst crowd, resigning to that unlikely market share. Teens with angst don't look this kind of shows, they look for vampires, for starters. And do better for the young adult group. Play it fair for adults and adult minds. We have adventurous minds, we like a good what if scenario, we like survivor stories, dinosaurs are widely popular, it can work still.

Jack146

[9]Jan 26, 2012
    • level: 11

Simply put, Terra Nova is head and shoulders over this new idiotic Alcatraz show.

Priezt66

[10]Feb 27, 2012
    • level: 3
    I agree in what you say. I like the show because I would like to sign up and make a something new. As many there do. This is something you maybe can do in a future.

GlenKimberley

[11]Mar 8, 2012
    I agreed wholeheartedly with Luzneutra's comments and would have welcomed a second series myself IF they could have upped the anty and brought in some better writers etc.

But once again, judging by the results of the small poll on this thread where 64% want it to continue, the studio's are not listening to, or even talking to, the very viewers they are trying to attract and have cancelled Terra Nova's second season, unless of course it's picked up by another studio which I can't really see happening anytime soon.........maybe a reboot?

Oh well, same old, same old.

Lukas1977

[12]Apr 7, 2013

I loved Terra Nova and I still keep some hope for it´s revival !

Terra Nova had a LOT off promise it had many concepts that have not been tried at the same time before(to my knowledge anyway)!

Unlike many if not most other sci fi shows it had depth PLUS there was practically no sexual content not even mild(wich is very usual) other then in the episode "Instinct" when Jason O´Mara shows off his upper body maybe!

And the family in the center off the show is a functional one both Jim and Elisabeth are strong parental figures, True the son Josh is a bit off a screw up with his teenage rebel thing in contrast to the eldest daughter Maddy wich is smart maybe even genious level smart (YES girls DO have intelligence not just a pretty face)and kind and almost emmediately forms a strong romance with Mark Reynolds a young soldier in the colony something that is quite rare in sci fi(if not even NON EXISTANT) and the youngest daughter Zoe are simply adorably cute (what´s wrong with that?) !

And the leader off the colony commander Taylor played by Stephen Lang known as the primary villain from Avatar wich I suspected at least up until "Vs" to go at least "semi bad guy" wich he did´nt wich was extremely surprising even though the ending off that episode there was something that screamed PTSD about him just listen to the fireworks when they start sounding an awful lot alike mortar and machinegun fire possibly in his ears only that is offcourse pure speculation but I´m usually not wrong!

Bashers have complained about next to no character development wich is nothing short off total BS practically all the main (plus a couple off recurring) characters develop during the course off the season unlike for example Stargate where the character Daniel Jackson seems to be the ONLY developing character, In Terra Nova even the villains had some development(I half expected Mira to switch sides in the end) Offcourse the Phoenix group soldiers where the typical gun fodder "nazis" that are needed in just about every show and Weaver was obnoxious and a real tenderfoot wich made him the "moronic" villain (heck not even a hungry and very pissed off carno wanted to eat him and simply spit him out)!

And that there was a lack off dinosaurs...WHAT THE? How many dino´s do they want anyway hordes off carno´s charging down at the gates off Terra Nova??? There are dinosaurs or at least pre historic creatures in just about every episode so maybe there aren´t allways huge carnivores behind every tree in the show the show is´nt primarily about dinosaurs but about the people going back in time to try and build a new and better civilization and above all avoid the misstakes off the "past/future" time stream!

The problems with most(not all) "NAY" sayers is that they usually do not even finish the pilot episode or just watch a couple off episodes not to mention the many bashers with their childish screams for attention...I guess some people have no life at all then to complain and whine!

However in the episode "proof" wich feels like a bit off a plot hole since it seems to have little bearing on the overall plot and is not mentioned afterwards in any way that I could notice!

Terra Nova was the first truly descent show I´ve seen in years(not just counting sci fi) yes there was some complaint´s(there´s that word again) about the show being full off clichés HA HA HA I haven´t heard that about OH let´s say "Vampire diaries" wich is nothing but one BIG cliché yet it is allowed to go on and on and on like that fricking bunny the same with that huge failure "BSG remake" among other things!

Terra Nova Drama(including family) and showing some good family values, it had enough action and violence to be entertaining to everyone and also a lot off mystery and the dinosaurs where just as believable as Jurassic Park and that on a TV budget remember Jurassic park had ten times more budget!

As for just about all the other complaints about the show I can come up with answers and as you can clearly see I a Terra Nova fan did not even mention reality shows even ONCE(except just now)!

Lukas1977

[13]Apr 7, 2013

PS Sorry for the typos for some reason some off the symbols I used was not recognized and I hope my text is readable!