Terra Nova

Genesis - Part 2

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 2011 on FOX

• This could be awesome!

(Spoiler free) After the failure that was Falling Skies, I was a bit sceptical about Spielberg doing another sci-fi TV show. But my doubts were pretty much wiped out when the executive producers list hit the screen: with names like David Fury and Jon Cassar, I knew this was going to be great.

And it was. The plot was decent for a premiere, and characters were a bit stereotypical, but instantly likable and easy to relate to. Also, most of the actors and actresses are new to me, so there's no previous roles to compare them to. The production values are great, and while the CGI is clearly nothing like a feature film, it works pretty flawlessly.

Oh, and there were dinosaurs. Some might complain how little screen time they got, but for me, just the fact that they're out there is almost enough. And for the first time in years, I was genuinely frightened/excited during the build-up to the climactic battle. The way it was shot was just great, with the claustrophobic setting, the flashing lights, the constant screaming.

Overall, the two hour premiere for Terra Nova was absolutely fabulous, and I hope were witnessing the start of a great TV series.