Terra Nova

Genesis - Part 2

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 2011 on FOX

• This series wants to bring it all but in the end delivers nothing that's quite good enough.

4.5

Ok what I did like is the opening scene with the f*ckd up world and everything has gone to shit. But when they entered the portal it turned bad very quickly. The CGI looks terrible, seriously the dino's look worse than those in Jurassic Park 1 from 1993. Of course this is all very expensive for a tv series, but why not use a little less CGI and spend a bit more per scene. Not only the CGI looks bad, but all the tools they use look like cheap plastic things straight from a tell-sell commercial. The armor they wear looks like something they bought for a Halloween party from their local costume store or eBay.

The second thing that made me want to turn this thing off was the bad scripting. Relationships feel somehow artificial and not convincing at all. At one point Jim's wife is helping a girl that is injured by a dino, she is almost dying. But instead of saving her life, she gets up and starts talking to Jim to resolve some relationship issues and tell him how she feels. Hello you are the only doctor and someone is dying here…!? When they found the markings on the rocks, I thought, cool maybe this is going somewhere... But at the end of the pilot it turns out it's nothing more than just a crazy guy running around. The pilot should bring up questions, make it mysterious and make you want to watch the next episode. But for this 20 million dollar pilot, the only question it brings up with me is where did they go wrong.