Terra Nova

Genesis - Part 2

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 2011 on FOX

• Not sure what to think yet...

I read a review of "Terra Nova" the other day and made the horrible mistake of reading a line that I wish I hadn't read: this particular reviewer mentioned the show as "a possible replacement for Lost." Now, I know better than to expect a show to become the next Lost, but I immediately become intrigued the second I hear a possible comparison.

This show is nothing like Lost, except for the fact that it sort of takes place in a tropical place and clearly has a backstory that it has to flesh out. The show is more or less Jurassic Park with better technology and an overall plot that differs from the movie. I thought the scenes that took place in the future were extremely clunky and weren't worth seeing. The whole "our father is in jail and broke into the time warp" thing was pointless, because once the father got there, there's no consequences for him breaking out of jail. It was a pointless bit of action that went nowhere.

Once we got to the "Terra Nova" place, things got a bit more intriguing. Not necessarily better, but intriguing is the best word I can think of. Me and my roommate watched the show and after a lot of deliberating, we decided the show was worth sticking around for. Some of the characters keep me interested just enough to warrant continuing, and the action sequences were fun to watch. But boy, those special effects got worse and worse as the show went along. Also, I'm not sure how much I care about the backstory of these other people who split off from Terra Nova (I consider them the "Others," just like on Lost... man I can't get past these comparisons.)

The show has awhile to go before it can get my full approval. I've hated all of the sci-fi/mystery/mythology type shows that have been born out of the ending of Lost (Flashforward, The Event... all of that dreck) Let's see if Terra Nova can break the streak.