Terra Nova

Instinct

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 03, 2011 on FOX

7.4
  • The birds are coming...

After the interesting two-parter pilot episode, we're in for our first stand-alone episode. And it certainly doesn't hold up as well. The problem, for me, is the balancing act of animal versus monster. Just look at Jurassic Park: the dinosaurs were firstly animals, not monsters. Here the Pterosaurs come off just as vicious monsters, trying to wreack havoc among the Terra Nova settlement.

Another balance was actually hit pretty well: the show was surprisingly light-hearted at times, and serious at others. I'm all for dark and serious stuff, but it's quite refreshing to see something like this in a modern show, everything is usually so doomy and gloomy and serious.

Random thoughts:
    - I though these flying lizards were like Compsognathus, and nothing too dangerous. Yeah, you can get a few cuts, but to die from them? Especially the guys at the start seemed to have just a few cuts in their faces and nothing fatal. Maybe it was just to keep the rating down and not show too much gore.
    - Most of the characters got some screen time. Washington is quickly becoming my favourite character.
    - CGI looked good from afar, bad from close up. I hope they'd use some props instead of all-CGI.
    - Sixers were nowhere to be found. Thankfully.

While this episode wasn't as good as the pilot, it kept me somewhat entertained for the whole 42 minutes, so it wasn't too bad. But I do hope there's something different coming up in the next episodes.